Preview Round 2 - Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions Friday, 26th March GMHBA 6.20pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Sounds more like a need for speed with Berry, Joyce and Sharp preferred to Robbo, Matho, CEY, ESmith and Robertson
The thing is, Ely is not slow either.

I agree that it's strange that Ely appears to be ticking all the boxes, talked up, but others are being selected ahead of him.

If I had to compare types of players, TBerry is a MRobbo type player, inside mid with speed, not the best disposal, being asked to play a more outside pressure role. Joyce is a Neale type, wins the ball at the coal face, very good hands in close. Ely is a Lyons type, bigger body ball winner, but is a better athlete, needed to work on his decision making.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've got a bit of time for Tommy Berry because he's a hard nut with a real passion for the contest so I'm hoping the issues with disposal and outside nous come with more experience. Likewise Ely who has all the tools just needs a lot more polish. . Joyce I haven't seen enough of really to make any definitive comment except he reminds me a bit of Ben Keays whenever he got the chance in the middle ,which he's now getting.

Berry jr played mainly as a defensive type pressure forward last time when he played. I can't see him coming in for Robbo. Ely is doing all the right things, but he is developing himself in a new role and we might just want to give him more time playing full minutes in that role. He will get his shot, and it won't be long.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Daniel Bradshaw's son, not rated all that highly but is eligible as a father son selection this year, has trained at the club a few times so would know the players.
He denied being his son earlier last year on that same FB group. Seems like he has some connection though.

SL16

Senior List
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
ffs I wish CEY would pull his finger out and demand a spot. The guy just hasn't looked interested since he's come to us.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know its hard to tell what he did last year but Im surprised by the TBerry call. He may be fast and provide pressure but he didnt do much else - barely touched the ball. Im not certain that he knows where to run. And we already have other similar low possession players in the team - like Coleman. I know that possessions isnt the only thing to measure a player by but without the ball you cant win

Also leaving Ely out seems strange. Talked up all pre-season as a standout. Gets one practice game and played reasonably - not the best but far from the worst. Named as a standout and pulled from the reserves as an emergency. Honestly a little bemusing as from what I can see he has outperformed several more senior players
Something going on in terms of his development and perceived readiness to play...maybe it is a "like for like" thing - interesting. Must be tough for Ely at the moment, particularly with Harry leapfrogging him and still at school.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe Ely isn't doing everything right. His defensive work might still be questionable

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dizzy in the 2s this week along with Adams you'd assume

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fagan said the Swans were "brilliant" but the whole Lions outfit needed to take a look at themselves.

"At times it was laziness on behalf of our players and they know that, they put their hands up," he said.

"It's not something they deny.

"They know that's the truth and we'll look for an improvement in that.

"They were really disappointed in themselves.

"They probably would have liked to have played that game the next day."

Brisbane is unlikely to make many changes to play a Geelong team missing Patrick Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron and Mitch Duncan.

Darcy Gardiner, who was a late withdrawal from a VFL practice match last Saturday, is expected to play at the lower level this weekend as he comes back from a knee injury.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
He denied being his son earlier last year on that same FB group. Seems like he has some connection though.
Did he. Goes to the same school, plays for the Murray Bushrangers. I reckon it’s him.

Coincidentally Ely’s younger brother also playing for the Bushrangers this year.

Last edited:

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll save my keyboard outrage for later tonight, but am starting to assume that Ely forgot to mow someones lawn
Yes, reckon there is a bit of that.

Sam Skinner also got a heap of press last preseason and was emergency a few times and then was given a couple of games ...and the rest is history. Hopefully Ely situation is different, in that firstly he has not had 3 knee reconstructions.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll save my keyboard outrage for later tonight, but am starting to assume that Ely forgot to mow someones lawn

Sam Skinner also got a heap of press last preseason and was emergency a few times and then was given a couple of games ...and the rest is history. Hopefully Ely situation is different, in that firstly he has not had 3 knee reconstructions.

You think Ely is getting overlooked at selection because he needs to work harder at the brown-nosing part of his game?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I don't think he's ever been in the A Team . If you know what I mean.

But he'll get his chance. Long way to go in this season.

Lots of talk about if we lose this we're done whatever.

We went deep into the last 2 years and it wouldn't surprise me if the brains trust haven't pushed us too hard early . Some of our guys seemed a bit underdone as far as the requirements of match fitness go last week. Either that or they just didn't pull their finger out. It's likely we'll gradually improve week on week.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We went deep into the last 2 years and it wouldn't surprise me if the brains trust haven't pushed us too hard early . Some of our guys seemed a bit underdone as far as the requirements of match fitness go last week. Either that or they just didn't pull their finger out. It's likely we'll gradually improve week on week.
I do agree with that and I am being a bit facetious about why Ely hasnt been selected. But at the same time I have been critical for a couple of years now that we havent rotated our players (Yes there is no point in rotating after week 1) or given some kids a good run in their preferred position (seeing Keays or even Mayes going back a while). We seem to have a huge amount of loyalty in selection, and I think its almost to the point of detrimental to the long term development of the team.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do agree with that and I am being a bit facetious about why Ely hasnt been selected. But at the same time I have been critical for a couple of years now that we havent rotated our players (Yes there is no point in rotating after week 1) or given some kids a good run in their preferred position (seeing Keays or even Mayes going back a while). We seem to have a huge amount of loyalty in selection, and I think its almost to the point of detrimental to the long term development of the team.
I think it is too. But now that we're a team with high aspirations there's pressure on to win every week. As soon as you play someone and they fumble a bit or don't do much they're written off straight away. We need to play the team with the best hope of winning every week to satisfy the club's and the supporter's aspirations.

Supporters need to have patience with new players. Hardly anyone walks in and has a big impact straight away. Often it takes 2 years and more of consistent game time. And then they still mightn't be good enough.

ffs I wish CEY would pull his finger out and demand a spot. The guy just hasn't looked interested since he's come to us.

I think he's looked determined enough, I just worry that he legitimately doesn't have the physical ability to do more than he's shown us.
Pretty disappointing Ely not given a chance. I'll back in the coaching staff but to miss after being an emergency that kicked 3 goals from 15 touches in a half of VFLa bit perplexing. I guess after our zero pressure game someone with pace that can tackle and do the hard stuff like T. Berry makes sense but would have replaced Robbo with Ely in a hot minute after Saturday's game if it was my choice.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Don't think there'll be any changes to the starting team. Perhaps just the sub/emg.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Don't think there'll be any changes to the starting team. Perhaps just the sub/emg.
Have been thinking that.

Again, hesitant on the source, but have read Berry as the emergency, and other Joyce as the medical sub.

In saying that, I’m not sure if that was Dev or Joyce pictured this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back