Preview Changes: R2 2021 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice deflection...

Now answer the question you replied to...

I answered your question. I'd play Mackay because as a 200 game experienced veteran he is good enough to stop Tom Papley. The amount of games he has played tells us this is true

I answered your question. I'd play Mackay because as a 200 game experienced veteran he is good enough to stop Tom Papley. The amount of games he has played tells us this is true
Weak as piss Scorp, name some names.

Weak as piss Scorp, name some names.

You asked me this:

So who would you suggest for the role that wasn't in last week's team?

Now of course, changing roles in a team is absolutely impossible. There is no one else that was already in the team that we could possible use. Regardless, Mackay is a best 22 player so he is the obvious inclusion, and with his experience like I said I'm putting him straight on Papley for the entire match, in a lockdown role.

And why do I get the feeling you don't believe Mackay could play on Papley? Are you a Mackay hater? He was born for this!

And just as obvious that Worrell was close to selection also based on his pre-season form
Worrell's now made it to the Emergency List this week. He was never going to be selected ahead of Mackay or Murray though, at least not this week.

Worrell will play at some stage this year, but it was never going to be this week. He was never close to selection in the 22 at this point in time.

This team contains 9 players with less than 10 games experience, 11 with less than 15, and 3 with 0 or 1 games... and people are still bitching that a senior player is replacing another senior player. Some people will never be happy.
These are the same people that would drop anyone over 25, but then still moan when the team gets pumped.

These are the same people that would drop anyone over 25, but then still moan when the team gets pumped.
Most of them just want to have a bitch & moan because David Mackay was named in the team. For some unfathomable reason there's a huge "We Hate David Mackay" cult which has developed here on BF, which doesn't exist anywhere else - particularly in the real world.

It's safest just to skim over any post by Bearded Clam or Scorpus (and a few others), whenever you see Mackay's name being mentioned. Their bizarre hatred for Mackay means that they're not actually capable of rational thought where he is concerned.

Mackay isn't good enough of a footballer for his experience to be worthwhile.

He's good enough to be a medical sub, but that's more because there is no point wasting anyone else in that role.
Who would be your choice to come in and replace Brown's in the small defender role? Worrell isn't exactly a like for like replacement. His chance was to come in and replace Kelly, but they have gone with Murray for that role. Jones could have been an option but I don't think he has played too much in the backlines? Davis would have been a good option but he is not ready yet. We are pretty bare in the small defender position atm.

I know that Worrell is popular on this board, but he played all of the pre-season games with the SANFL group, and wasn't one of the 4 players named on our emergency list last week. There are no indications whatsoever that the selectors think he's close at this point in time.

This team will be even more inexperienced than last week's, with 12 of the 23 having less than 15 games experience. We will still have 10x sub-10 gamers, with McPherson graduating from that group, but Murray coming in for his debut. Sholl, Schoenberg, Hamill & McHenry will all play their 10th game this week, so don't expect any more double digit numbers for the sub-10 club for a while.

Except you had a completely different point of view only hours ago

You asked me this:

Now of course, changing roles in a team is absolutely impossible. There is no one else that was already in the team that we could possible use. Regardless, Mackay is a best 22 player so he is the obvious inclusion, and with his experience like I said I'm putting him straight on Papley for the entire match, in a lockdown role.

And why do I get the feeling you don't believe Mackay could play on Papley? Are you a Mackay hater? He was born for this!
So you'd make structural changes to the team that just beat one of last year's Grand Finalists? OK then.

He's not replacing Brown, he's just assuming his best 22 position once more after returning from that nasty concussion over the pre-season

When Brown and Kelly are fit again, it'll be someone else making way
Well you are just assuming they will go that way once Brown comes back in, I have faith in the new coaching group that they would back in guys like Hamill, McPherson and Hinge as our smaller defenders over Mackay when they are all available for selection. If they did go with Mackay over one of those guys, then by all means get the pitch forks read - but wait till it's actually happened.

So you'd make structural changes to the team that just beat one of last year's Grand Finalists? OK then.

Do you think that replacing Brown and Kelly with Mackay and Murray will require no structural changes to the way we play?

If the answer is no, then like I said, we can all look forward to Mackay playing on Tom Papley

Who would be your choice to come in and replace Brown's in the small defender role? Worrell isn't exactly a like for like replacement.

Based on what you have seen of Mackay and Brown over the years, would you say that Mackay is truly a like for like replacement for Brown?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think that replacing Brown and Kelly with Mackay and Murray will require no structural changes to the way we play?

If the answer is no, then like I said, we can all look forward to Mackay playing on Tom Papley
Very little structural changes I would have thought with Mackay replacing Brown and Murray replacing Kelly.

Once again you haven't put up alternatives from the players that didn't play last week.

So the question now is, who comes in for Hinge ?? Do we bring in Worrell to sit on the bench, I hope not. I can't really see any worthwhile options because other than 14 they're either all first gamers or guys like Jones or McAsey who need game time.

No real issue with Mackay playing this week, it's the next month that concerns me. If we went with Worrell and put Dave as the sub that would be great, but it seems almost 0% chance of happening. Clubs seem to be largely going with youth in the position.

Based on what you have seen of Mackay and Brown over the years, would you say that Mackay is truly a like for like replacement for Brown?
No, but probably the closest we have uninjured

Very little structural changes I would have thought with Mackay replacing Brown and Murray replacing Kelly.

Once again you haven't put up alternatives from the players that didn't play last week.

I could justify playing basically anyone on the list

The reason for this is despite you claiming that we would make little structural changes (which I agree, we won't), David Mackay is not a like for like player with Luke Brown. He never has been and never will be. He will get absolutely towelled up by small forwards or really anyone, which has happened any time he has been made to play a defensively accountable role.

Now if you had said Will Hamill, or Paul Seedsman, or Brodie Smith was injured... well you might have a point about bringing him in as a direct replacement for that sort of role. But Luke Brown? Yeah I don't think so.

So either you can claim Mackay is like for like with Brown, which I think would be hard to justify, or you accept that this isn't a like for like change. And if it isn't a like for like change, then why can't the numerous other players available be in consideration for his spot?

So it's simple. If we are playing Mackay in Brown's spot, we are making a structural change. And if we are making a structural change, we can just about pick anyone we want to.

I could justify playing basically anyone on the list

The reason for this is despite you claiming that we would make little structural changes (which I agree, we won't), David Mackay is not a like for like player with Luke Brown. He never has been and never will be. He will get absolutely towelled up by small forwards or really anyone, which has happened any time he has been made to play a defensively accountable role.

Now if you had said Will Hamill, or Paul Seedsman, or Brodie Smith was injured... well you might have a point about bringing him in as a direct replacement for that sort of role. But Luke Brown? Yeah I don't think so.

So either you can claim Mackay is like for like with Brown, which I think would be hard to justify, or you accept that this isn't a like for like change. And if it isn't a like for like change, then why can't the numerous other players available be in consideration for his spot?
Brown is a tricky one to replace.

Agree DMac isn't the best option but we really are light on for small defensive types. Do we move Laird back ?? Unlikely and he's not really a lockdown type either. Hamill is probably the closest thing to it but even he would require a role change and I'd loathe to do that to him. Doedee is also an option.

Who would be your choice to come in and replace Brown's in the small defender role? Worrell isn't exactly a like for like replacement. His chance was to come in and replace Kelly, but they have gone with Murray for that role. Jones could have been an option but I don't think he has played too much in the backlines? Davis would have been a good option but he is not ready yet. We are pretty bare in the small defender position atm.
Jones is horribly out of form, he and McAsey should not play in the AFL until they have 4 or 5 good games in the SANFL. Their development and confidence need this. We are screwing them over if we play them before that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back