Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what this "pattern" you talk of??

The pattern that we've not won a flag since 2011, when other clubs of equal ability have won numerous.

There is no expectation from me or other supporters, it's plainly obvious Geelong playing their game plan should easily have put Adelaide away. As far as the Cats losing a number of games at the start of each season, that means yet another pattern that occurs each year will end up the same way?

I'm suggesting "oh no, we lost, it's over", have never done so in my life. But the results on the weekend show a team not driven by what slipped from their grasp after half time on GF day last year.

WOW... after 1 game... and that being the first game of the season u come up with that doozy??
GOLD... That is pure GOLD!!!

How many times do you need to see the same one game before you realise it's not just one game? Cats favourites, cats missing the start and not moving the ball quickly, the oppo bringing the pressure, the Cats waiting until they are six goals down before playing attacking football as the brave comeback falls ten points short.

Your ridicule would be spot on if it was just one game, but I'd suggest that match had an all too familiar stench of failure about it.

How many times do you need to see the same one game before you realise it's not just one game? Cats favourites, cats missing the start and not moving the ball quickly, the oppo bringing the pressure, the Cats waiting until they are six goals down before playing attacking football as the brave comeback falls ten points short.

Your ridicule would be spot on if it was just one game, but I'd suggest that match had an all too familiar stench of failure about it.

I have seen "That same one game" for over 45 years of watching football... that's what i bring to the table.
Do you think this is just a recent phenomenon ??
Sorry
I hate to tell you, but a life of watching the club play nearly every weekend tells me different.
The carry on is quite funny sometimes especially when i come to realise it comes from a 20 year old or 30 year old that have lived the greatest period of the clubs history and think it always should be this great.
Like me wishing to relive my 20's... what a blast that was. LOL.
Cheers Bud. Move on as this type of thinking will just do your head. Which isn't worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have seen "That same one game" for over 45 years of watching football... that's what i bring to the table.
Do you think this is just a recent phenomenon ??
Sorry
I hate to tell you, but a life of watching the club play nearly every weekend tells me different.
The carry on is quite funny sometimes especially when i come to realise it comes from a 20 year old or 30 year old that have lived the greatest period of the clubs history and think it always should be this great.
Like me wishing to relive my 20's... what a blast that was. LOL.
Cheers Bud. Move on as this type of thinking will just do your head. Which isn't worth it.

No worries bud. I was there too.

Zero scenarios like that in 2020 finals - did we win 3/4 first quarters? And Port barely headed us at quarter time by 3 points after we had most of the play.
Reacting to this one loss in Adelaide against a team that had a much better preseason preparation than we did, is over the top. Nothing about our most recent season reflects what you said, apart from maybe te Blues loss at Geelong, from which we recovered beautifully.

Last edited:
Zero scenarios like that in 2020 finals - did we win 4/4 first quarters?
Reacting to this one loss in Adelaide against a team that had a much better preseason preparation than we did, is over the top. Nothing about our most recent season reflects what you said, apart from maybe te Blues loss at Geelong, from which we recovered beautifully.

Full credit to the Crows - their pressure in the first half was elite , doubt any team would have led them at 1/2 time to be honest.
Crows supporting mates tell me that's the best they've been for several years - they also doubt they can keep it at that level on a consistent basis.
Long season - let's see how we settle and adjust.

There's gonna be a few people that are going to be really upset with our first 4-6 weeks of footy.
It's not cause we're s**t and the coach is crap.
We're old! And it's a short pre-season. We've gone back to full size quarters.
Just gonna have to ride it out.

There's gonna be a few people that are going to be really upset with our first 4-6 weeks of footy.
It's not cause we're sh*t and the coach is crap.
We're old! And it's a short pre-season. We've gone back to full size quarters.
Just gonna have to ride it out.

it’s interesting because we get so caught up in the now which is we always want to win, despite it being a long race across six months of a season which a lot changes across.

I have a feeling we will peak and play a lot better second half than first half, what our peak looks like I’m not sure yet.

we need to win this one... our games at home are huge to put away. I’m not confident of winning it given we have very significant players out, but we need to find a way to scrap and get the job done.

if we scrap into top four come end of year regardless of win loss who cares really anymore just make it, we should give it a good shake up.

we are probably yet to see a few contenders from left field rise up this year. I wouldn’t be surprised either to see Richmond slip a little over the course of the year. 4 flags is a huge ask and you can see them finishing 5-6th range.

was interesting listening to a very high up physio talk about what happens to the older players as well with their declines. It’s not their actual speed or muscle strength or mobility that they lose which people on here tend to think, it is due to the fact that the players are unable to take on the same amount of training loads due to their bodies taking longer to recover than previously. So they work less than they previously did which means their bodies have less conditioning and as a result their performance declines naturally in comparison to someone in their mid 20’s doing much greater conditioning throughout the week on their bodies.

so it’s the workload that reduces and hence a drop in performance, not their actual speed or muscles dropping off due to age.

it’s interesting because we get so caught up in the now which is we always want to win, despite it being a long race across six months of a season which a lot changes across.

I have a feeling we will peak and play a lot better second half than first half, what our peak looks like I’m not sure yet.

we need to win this one... our games at home are huge to put away. I’m not confident of winning it given we have very significant players out, but we need to find a way to scrap and get the job done.

if we scrap into top four come end of year regardless of win loss who cares really anymore just make it, we should give it a good shake up.

we are probably yet to see a few contenders from left field rise up this year. I wouldn’t be surprised either to see Richmond slip a little over the course of the year. 4 flags is a huge ask and you can see them finishing 5-6th range.

was interesting listening to a very high up physio talk about what happens to the older players as well with their declines. It’s not their actual speed or muscle strength or mobility that they lose which people on here tend to think, it is due to the fact that the players are unable to take on the same amount of training loads due to their bodies taking longer to recover than previously. So they work less than they previously did which means their bodies have less conditioning and as a result their performance declines naturally in comparison to someone in their mid 20’s doing much greater conditioning throughout the week on their bodies.

so it’s the workload that reduces and hence a drop in performance, not their actual speed or muscles dropping off due to age.
Don’t tell me their reflex’s don’t slow down with age.

Chris "1 premiership - not right place right time" Scott - clock is ticking.. If he finishes up in 2022 with just that 1 premiership in his first year then lots of eggs to go around. He is still being compared to Clarkson FFS lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You kents are cooked. Take a look at this list - 6 of the flags below have been won by two of the best sides in footy history.

He's done a pretty amazing job.

Be mad at Bomber Thompson; if anyone underperformed with the talent on the list at the time it was him.

2020 - Richmond
2019 - Richmond

2018 - West Coast
2017 - Richmond
2016 - Western Bulldogs
2015 - Hawthorn
2014 - Hawthorn
2013 - Hawthorn

2012 - Sydney Swans (beat Hawthorn)
2011 - Geelong

You implied people don’t degrade with age. You said it’s not their speed or strength that declines. Which is rubbish.
Reflexes also decline.
Also, I think they are less likely to put head over ball (life priorities change, families etc)
Put in repeat efforts or 1 percenters.
More likely to play in the comfort zone (losing doesn’t hurt as much)

Also, I think they are less likely to put head over ball (life priorities change, families etc)
Put in repeat efforts or 1 percenters.
More likely to play in the comfort zone (losing doesn’t hurt as much)
I agree. A bit of complacency probably seeps in over time. There is such a thing as youthful exuberance, when a player is trying to prove himself.

I think teams need an injection of fresh blood from time to time. Just look at us in 2011, and Port a year or 2 ago when they brought in rozee, butters and duursma.

Clark, Atkins, Henry, Close, Constable, Miers, Narkle, Parfitt, O'Connor; Ratugolea, Simpson, Kolo, Z Guthrie, Stewart, et al..

All given their first opportunity at senior level during Scott's tenure....and that's just the players still on the list. And more will get an opportunity this year I suspect.

The contention that Scott doesn't give young players opportunities is absurd.

Clark, Atkins, Henry, Close, Constable, Miers, Narkle, Parfitt, O'Connor; Ratugolea, Simpson, Kolo, Z Guthrie, Stewart, et al..

All given their first opportunity at senior level during Scott's tenure....and that's just the players still on the list. And more will get an opportunity this year I suspect.

Cameron Guthrie is another... He seems to have developed ok

Except that wasn't the contention.

Read the full sentence - "showed a willingness to drop underperforming favourites and reward younger players."

You implied people don’t degrade with age. You said it’s not their speed or strength that declines. Which is rubbish.

Reflexes also decline.

im not talking about an 80 year old man compared to a 25 year old, and don’t get your google searches as your reference.

the difference in reflexes of a 27 year old and a 30 year old are not going to be the reason you see a decline in performance and ability. The reason you see the drop in performance is because they can’t commit to the same performance training loads they could before due to slower recovery times and being able to take on less performance loading, hence the markedly big drop in performance, not because all of a sudden overnight your “reflexes” plummeted off a cliff during summer.

it’s been even shown through clinical testing to give you a further example that if you give a sedentary old 80 year old a performance training program he will improve in overall strength and testing performance. This is what causes the large notewble drop off at that point during the tail of their careers, their ability to take a training load and recover decreases

Which older players were dropped due to poor form, and replaced with a youngster? I can’t think of any. Debuts usually come due to injuries, resting, suspensions, or to replace another fringe player.

I can remember moons and dasher being dropped, and never to return, for fresh blood. Can’t think of another time since.

im not talking about an 80 year old man compared to a 25 year old, and don’t get your google searches as your reference.

the difference in reflexes of a 27 year old and a 30 year old are not going to be the reason you see a decline in performance and ability. The reason you see the drop in performance is because they can’t commit to the same performance training loads they could before due to slower recovery times and being able to take on less performance loading, hence the markedly big drop in performance, not because all of a sudden overnight your “reflexes” plummeted off a cliff during summer.

it’s been even shown through clinical testing to give you a further example that if you give a sedentary old 80 year old a performance training program he will improve in overall strength and testing performance. This is what causes the large notewble drop off at that point during the tail of their careers, their ability to take a training load and recover decreases

So a 35 yr old will have the same speed, strength and reflexes as a 23 yr old?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back