Universal Love David Teague

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Were in trouble if that is what he is saying .
Tackle numbers usually dont lie we had 11 players with 1 or 0 tackles .
Collingwood 2 whether its structural positioning at stoppages or personnel mindset or both we need to see those tackle numbers increase .
The 2 games Collingwood have played this year have been polar opposites .
Bulldogs hunted them harassed didnt allow them to get any cohesion .
We tried to beat them with champagne bruise free football .

Our players just look too comfortable with their lot .
Said it last year this group needs to be sent a message by dropping some bigger named players .
Both Murphy and Ed i would have out of the side .
Our players as a group need to up their defensive pressure and get their hands dirty .

Again to me it's our leaders and senior who seem to offer the least composure and defensive effort. Cripps, Doc, Murphy, Casboult, Curnow and Jones all worry me in that regard.

The amount of jogging defensively is laughable.

The efforts shown by Walsh, Fog and even Oscar McDonald when given the chance is night and day to our "leaders".

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Teague needs to drop the veterans with loser mentalities and start playing players in their right position, otherwise sack him.

Team for next week:

B: Plowman-----------Weitering------------Marchbank

H: Docherty-----------McGovern------------Saad

C: Williams-------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: SPS---------------McDonald-------------Martin

F: Fisher----------------McKay---------------Fogarty

Foll: Pittonet, Stocker, Walsh

Bench: Dow, Newnes, Kennedy, Cuningham

Sub: Philp
Gov, Marchbank and Philp have all had long term injuries and must all get a game in the 2s first. Unfortunately there is no VFL this week, so they'll all be out until rd 4 probably.

Cunners did poorly in the 2s last week, I don't see why we should gift him a game in the AFL after that.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Our coaching panel needs to be overhauled with some serious senior talent.

Look at the pies coaching panel.. led by bucks a 10 year odd coach, Robert Harvey (in the running for senior roles) , Brenton Sanderson (senior coach).

Who do we have? John barker... who i am convinced is comfortable just rocking up to the same place to dial it in every year.... at worst he needs to go just to bring in some fresh ideas.

Sacking teague without investing in the coaching panel would be a disgrace. And whomever is responsible for this coaching panel needs to go.... looking at the board..
This is exactly it. I still have faith in Teague but he need some experienced assistants around him. How we didn’t even make 1 change over the summer amazes me. A lot of other teams were making moves but we continued as is.

when you look at our coaching panel it’s seriously underwhelming compared to other teams. It’s almost like Teague wants his assistants to be inexperienced so they don’t question him.

A review needs to be done at the end of the season.
Assistants - need some experience
Development - why do our young players stagnate when others continue to improve
Fitness/Strength - is Andrew Russell past it? We aren’t fit, we aren’t strong, we aren’t healthy

she's a woman with a keyboard - how utterly terrifying, how will we ever survive her mighty wrath? fmd........
Don’t be so naive..

Caro is a woman with a Newspaper, top rating football TV show and radio gig..

When they smell blood in the water. She and the media have got coaches sacked in the past and they will do it again. By putting constant pressure on clubs to do it.

Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I may be wrong, but I believe the last AFL coach to win a flag who hadn’t been involved with a flag previously as either a player or assistant coach was Paul Roos.

In the end, what we really suffer from is a losing culture. The premiership experience on our coaching panel is minimal. That experience doesn’t necessarily need to come from the senior coach (Mal Brown brought it to several clubs... and when we had it from senior coaches in Malthouse and Pagan it didn’t work out for us), but I do think we need to figure out where we are going to get it from and assimilate

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Last week I thought we tackled well and had some strength around the contest - last night we were weak as piss. That's attitude, and a failure in attitude is on the coaches head.

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I may be wrong, but I believe the last AFL coach to win a flag who hadn’t been involved with a flag previously as either a player or assistant coach was Paul Roos.

In the end, what we really suffer from is a losing culture. The premiership experience on our coaching panel is minimal. That experience doesn’t necessarily need to come from the senior coach (Mal Brown brought it to several clubs... and when we had it from senior coaches in Malthouse and Pagan it didn’t work out for us), but I do think we need to figure out where we are going to get it from and assimilate

Agree ... I still think Voss could be a good coach if given a 2nd chance !!

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Scott Burns went to Adelaide
Giansiracusa went to Essendon
Yze went to Melbourne
Macrae went to Hawthorn

3 highly rated assistants that moved in the offseason. Why weren’t we in the conversation?

Essendon has brought in Caracalla and Giansiracusa in the last 2 years!

Last edited:

koutaaa

Cancelled
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Gov, Marchbank and Philp have all had long term injuries and must all get a game in the 2s first. Unfortunately there is no VFL this week, so they'll all be out until rd 4 probably.

Cunners did poorly in the 2s last week, I don't see why we should gift him a game in the AFL after that.

Why not gift cunners a game? Murphy, Ed, cas, sps, setters, Dow, plowman all being gifted games right now. Put cunners in the middle and watch him tear it up

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Ben Hart - left Adelaide to return to Melbourne. Been part of successful stints at Adelaide and Collingwood

Lenny Hayes - was at the Giants, not much experience or success of note but feel he would be a good addition

Chris Newman - been at hawthorn for a few years, bring him in to run our defence although Amos has been decent but we need a new look

Voss - been at Port for a few years, and previously a senior coach. Would be a good senior assistant to Teague

Nigel Lappin - been at Geelong for a while, bring him across to join his ex-teammate power

Robert Harvey - bring him back as senior assistant. Highly rated, been part of successful programs

Leppitsch - left Richmond, entice him into a role

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I can’t say it enough but we bloody need some decent assistance. He is being let down badly by the line coaches but also I’m shocked he didn’t pull the trigger on about 3 of his assistance over summer. I’d like to know how our midfield/clearance, forward and midfield/forward connection coach still have jobs!!!
How can we know for sure if the line coaches or the head coach is the problem?

Judd said we didn’t want another coach (after Bolton) with training wheels. Teague got the job and now some (I know this is not what you’re saying) are saying we need an experienced coach to assist our head coach. That to me sounds like we got a coach with training wheels. Did we have better options than Teague that wanted the job? Think it was vossy or teaugue or maybe barker.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague needs to drop the veterans with loser mentalities and start playing players in their right position, otherwise sack him.

Team for next week:

B: Plowman-----------Weitering------------Marchbank

H: Docherty-----------McGovern------------Saad

C: Williams-------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: SPS---------------McDonald-------------Martin

F: Fisher----------------McKay---------------Fogarty

Foll: Pittonet, Stocker, Walsh

Bench: Dow, Newnes, Kennedy, Cuningham

Sub: Philp
THese posts of yours always make me laugh which I needed after that bad loss. Keep going the club may listen to you one day.

Big Red is back

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2006
Visy park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Having watched the last 2 games live, structurally (though the midfield) we are a defensive mess. The ease at which teams are getting the ball inside 50 is not acceptable. Richmond I think had 75 inside 50s which is beyond unacceptable, last night the Pies also made our set up look sub-par.

The questions are mounting, he is clearly a lovely guy and generates a great spirit around the club - which is extremely important.

The concern is it may well simply be that we don't have the midfield talent, the alternative is he doesn't know how to deploy it.

Pies look to be a 6th to 10th team so that is a very bad loss, and we can't hide from that, it is also 9 years in a row we have lost the first 2 games.

My view is we lack midfield talent, Dow, Setters, Newman, Curnow (was good once) are all plodders and are spending huge amounts of time in the midfield. Williams looks more like a wing or half-back so whilst he is a nice pick up doesn't assist with midfield talent overly.

The backline looks good, exception SPS not doing enough given he picks up the worst defender and the fwd line looks good, Casbolt is clearly underdone.

I want Teague to have a really close look at the body language of his charges.... the first quarter was an embarrassment how they represented the footy club.

if you can’t get our boys up and about to play our footy clubs biggest rival, you need a good hard look at yourself.

WFGodot

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I like that Teague is so remarkably composed, on the training track, in front of the media and in the box during a game. That’s better than a nut job losing it over every dodgy decision and missed kick.

What I don't like is his lack of initiative to control the opposition when they get on a run.
Is it right that in 20 out of 30 games with Teague as coach we have had 5 consecutive goals kicked against us? If accurate it’s an utterly damning statistic. It simply has to stop.
I believe that more experienced coaches and cohesive teams find a way to stop the bleeding. Yes, I know Hawthorn under Clarkson came back after getting smashed early by * but that is an outlier of a game, and they piled on plenty of their own when they had a chance to re-group at half time.
Generally good teams and coaches are better at interrupting momentum. I guess it comes down to experience and as Juddy infamously put it "we don’t want another coach with training wheels on..." well, guess what, we've got one.

I like Teague but he and his coaching team need to apply some serious pressure on all players to perform or by May the season is well and truly kaputski. If so, he will not see it out to the mid-season bye. The talent is there. Coaches need to help their players believe, I don't see enough players that understand the message, or give enough and support each other.

I'm not calling for pitchforks and flames at Princes Park just yet but I really thought we were through the worst of this s**t and sadly we have not improved on last year. The club can spin what it likes but that was a desperately disappointing loss, a chance to set up our season in front of our home crowd and the biggest stage in football. We failed.

Don’t be so naive..

Caro is a woman with a Newspaper, top rating football TV show and radio gig..

When they smell blood in the water. She and the media have got coaches sacked in the past and they will do it again. By putting constant pressure on clubs to do it.
She can sack coaches? Incredible. Does she have a cape? Here I was thinking it was the club board responsible. I truly am naive.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
I'm rapidly losing faith in Teague, I was hoping he'd be given another year as I don't believe this is our year. But if his press conferences truly reflect his thoughts we are in huge trouble.

He needs to start setting examples I don't care if you were an ex-captain if you continually make weak as piss efforts you'll be playing in the twos next week.

iAsbestos

All Australian
Nov 22, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
His Coaching needs to be looked at. Again played way to loose in defense and not manning their forwards our defenders got killed. Plowman copped 7 goals kicked on him surely he can't stay in the side. Teauge to slow to make changes getting killed in clearances Teauge doesn't move the magnets just has the same on in the middle. Setters literally unsighted on the wing why play him on the wing when we're losing the tackling count he's a gun inside midfielder who loves a cuddle.

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
How can we know for sure if the line coaches or the head coach is the problem?

Judd said we didn’t want another coach (after Bolton) with training wheels. Teague got the job and now some (I know this is not what you’re saying) are saying we need an experienced coach to assist our head coach. That to me sounds like we got a coach with training wheels. Did we have better options than Teague that wanted the job? Think it was vossy or teaugue or maybe barker.
Should have patched up relationship with Brett Ratten, and gone all out for him. Spent many years under Clarkson during their premiership years. Look at his experience under the Master. Should have at least been afforded an interview with his experience. Look how well he is coaching StKilda. The Club has erred badly here imo.

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
My view is we lack midfield talent, Dow, Setters, Newman, Curnow (was good once) are all plodders and are spending huge amounts of time in the midfield. Williams looks more like a wing or half-back so whilst he is a nice pick up doesn't assist with midfield talent overly.

This is the fundamental problem along with ruck. We have been slaughtered the last two weeks when the ball is in dispute. We are always outnumbered, 3 v 2 or 4 v 3, Richmond / Collingwood then get the ball and proceed forward. Time after time after time.

Given our midfield issues our defence and offence are holding up reasonably well.

Dow and Setterfield have been net negatives this season. I am ready to put a line through Dow, he looks a draft bust.

I absolutely would not sack Teague. It is not all doom and gloom.

We need to improve our contest work within this season. Pronto.

At the end of the year John Barker has to go.

Back