What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing wrong with him but the game style this season has changed. Rolling stoppages are gone (exactly what the AFL wanted) and it's high pace, fast ball movement so not only is his stoppage impact lessened but he bulked back up over the summer to play better contested footy which has also had a negative effect on his running power.

He is a terrible forward as well so interesting times ahead for Crippa, gonna have to find other ways to impact the game more often.

He's just gonna have to evolve with the game.

We know his strengths, we know his weaknesses. We know generally he has a killer willpower to work on his game.

The ball is in his court.

Weitering came back on with heavy strapping to left lower leg - noticed didnt have his usual zip and jump
Walsh has had thigh strapping on for two rounds now - lacked teh speed off the mark last night
Crippa has run out of gas in first two games - more so last night

I think Richmond game took its toll on teh blokes who do the heaviest lifting...
Looked like Martin - who played fantastic last night may have strained himself again late in the game...

and Brown is a goose

Weitering came back on with heavy strapping to left lower leg - noticed didnt have his usual zip and jump
Walsh has had thigh strapping on for two rounds now - lacked teh speed off the mark last night

I think Richmond game took its toll on teh blokes who do the heaviest lifting...
Looked like Martin - who played fantastic last night may have strained himself again late in the game...

and Brown is a goose

Once Weiters was bandaged he was noticeably trying to stop his man rather than attacking the ball. Resulted in a couple of frees. No lack of effort though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and Brown is a goose
I’ll be surprised if Martin plays next week from how he looked just before the final siren

All that I know, is that Cripps post-match was smiling. Walsh you could tell was genuinely disappointed.

The smile police are out in force this week :tearsofjoy:

Very concerned with Crippas form over the past year or so. He seems to talk a big game too for someone who hasn’t really done anything yet and has some glaring flaws in his game. Harsh, yes, but i find it irritating. The coaches seem to be more interested in keeping him happy than giving him a rocket, but maybe that’s the modern player for ya.

It’s hard to see why he has declined so glaringly but if he’s playing injured, he’s doing himself and the team a major disservice. I sincerely hope the bloke turns it around but at this point it feels like some harsh criticism both internally and externally would do him some good.

Cripps has strengths it’s up to the coaching panel to utilise them and set him a role to utilise them

Which is? Not sure for mine. Mobility, lack of defensive appetite and foot skills seem to reduce him to being on ball at the contest. When we moved him out of the middle in the third quarter last night, we got back in the game. If he’s to be our contested beast, the entire midfield structure needs to be set up to cover his deficiencies but we’re not setup for that. I’m stumped at this point.

People are going way to far with the Cripps hate. He will be back, you can’t keep good players down.

I feel the AFL is also to blame for this, introducing these rules a month before the season starts.

Cripps lost weight last season to be more nimble, we all know it didn’t work. Then spends all off season packing on the muscle to return to the contested beast he was expecting the same style of play. Then a month before the season they change the rules making the game open up. Last seasons Cripps would have dominated this year

Which is? Not sure for mine. Mobility, lack of defensive appetite and foot skills seem to reduce him to being on ball at the contest. When we moved him out of the middle in the third quarter last night, we got back in the game. If he’s to be our contested beast, the entire midfield structure needs to be set up to cover his deficiencies but we’re not setup for that. I’m stumped at this point.
We aren't a drilled team that plays totaalvoetbal though, which we'd need to be to make this work - think richmond's defensive running to cover for dusty.

Don't think we have the personel for it either tbh, need to be team first and have good positional awareness

People are going way to far with the Cripps hate. He will be back, you can’t keep good players down.

I feel the AFL is also to blame for this, introducing these rules a month before the season starts.

Cripps lost weight last season to be more nimble, we all know it didn’t work. Then spends all off season packing on the muscle to return to the contested beast he was expecting the same style of play. Then a month before the season they change the rules making the game open up. Last seasons Cripps would have dominated this year
Fair bit in that for mine. Good call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back