Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Anachist? Anti-statism?

He was Pro-Sparta (hence the cosh-carrier comment) which is as statist as you could get in those times.

Constantly questioning authority, and espousing freedom of individual thought?

Intellectually, he was an anarchist.

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Neither questioning and rebelling against the current form of government, nor a belief in individual thought being a virtue ("The unexamined life is not worth living"), makes one an anarchist.

Neither questioning and rebelling against the current form of government, nor a belief in individual thought being a virtue ("The unexamined life is not worth living"), makes one an anarchist.
Absolutely. I doubt a proposal for 'philosopher kinds' is akin to any form of anarchism anyway (also noting Socrates did fulfil his military service duties as a younger man too).

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
No, I have either misconstrued or been misconstrued myself. Carry on.

I was referring to Socrates wisdom and political idiocy.

really? You were referring to Socrates? Let’s play that again.

This is not a social generation matter, it's a political matter.

This is what you posted.

It was not in relation to the discussion on Socrates. It was in response to this post below. In particular the last line about mental illness and suicide stats being higher in the younger generations of today.

As previously mentioned, older generations have accused younger generations of being useless campaigners since ancient Greek times. As a millennial, I'm concerned that gen Z and younger spend too much time gaming in toxic environments... But I hope I am just as wrong as every other generation has been in terms of thinking the younger generation are useless.

Mental illness and suicide stats tend to beg to differ, but as I said, I hope I'm wrong.

can you explain what you meant Snake? Why is mental health today a political matter?

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Absolutely. I doubt a proposal for 'philosopher kinds' is akin to any form of anarchism anyway (also noting Socrates did fulfil his military service duties as a younger man too).
Yep. Socrates was more in favour of a kind of philosophical Theocracy, the terms being more closely meshed in those times than they are now, but did apparently admire Spartan social stability and strength as well.

Have to admit to being a bit of a Laconophile myself, to be honest, although I'm completely aware that kind of society is unsustainable in modern times due to burgeoning populations. Guilty not-really-a-secret.

Modern day Sparta unfortunately would just mean Nazis. I like the physical and mental discipline stuff, and even the eugenics I feel is a good idea in theory, but as for the slaves, and the murder, and the castes, well I don't care for that as much.
Probably more closely aligned to 19th century Prussia than modern Nazis, but again a very rigid and controlled society

The Oregon Department of Education is running a course to dismantle white supremacy in math classrooms.

Each month, you will complete a set of exercises as outlined in the calendar. You will complete a five-step cycle as follows:​
1. Engage with the ways that white supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms.​
2. Reflect on your current classroom practices to identify the ways in which they perpetuate white supremacy culture.​
3. Plan to dismantle white supremacy culture by creating a goal that incorporates specific antiracist practices​
4. Act with accountability by carrying out the plan.​
5. Reflect on the ways in which your practices align with antiracist math education.​
We wish to thank our dedicated partners and collaborating organizations in this project.​
We also wish to thank the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for their generous financial support of this project.​

ooh easy one - parody

Never.

At all.

The word Churchill was not mentioned ONCE in my 12 years of public education in Western Australia.

The word "World War II" was not mentioned ONCE in my 12 years of public education in Western Australia.

In fact, most "social studies" (who knows what the latest name of the subject is these days!) themes consisted of learning the local climatic seasons as described by the Noongar people. We did this like in 3 different years.

While, at the same time, not even mentioning the biggest war in the history of the world that happened within some people's lifetimes.

The public system teaches about the rise of early civilisation around the Euphrates in particular - the notion that it is rooted in white supremacy is complete BS from people that don't know what they're talking about.
Seriously 3 different years? Even in woekist Victoria we only do the precolonisation for a part of year 7.
World war 2 I think was in year 9 or 10
although focus in WW2 was more the pacific front than the war in europe (australia cenric viewpoint) so churchill probably not mentioned

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
However the get up person also has the right to call the nonsense offensive as well. If he goes further and tries to physically assault the man on soapbox thats where I draw the line

Of course, but I am not criticizing the right to speech, I am criticizing the claim to censorship.

GoldenSky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Seriously 3 different years? Even in woekist Victoria we only do the precolonisation for a part of year 7.
World war 2 I think was in year 9 or 10
although focus in WW2 was more the pacific front than the war in europe (australia cenric viewpoint) so churchill probably not mentioned

Yeah Years 8 to 10. Each had an Indigenous themed portion of the syllabus for social studies.

World War II not even mentioned once.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
9000 first home buyers in the month of December, reckon your statement is parody
I don't understand. Again, haven't youngsters demanded free sh*t for thousands of years, and then changed their mind when they grew up and realised that there's no such thing as "free"?

I don't entirely agree, but boomers and Gen X did indeed ruin the economy by buying up real estate that cost as much as 6 McNuggets at the time, locking the rest of us out of the market and ensuring that most families required a dual income to make ends meet.

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
9000 first home buyers in the month of December, reckon your statement is parody

More info required. Is this Australia wide? Buying a Metricon shitbox unit 90 minutes from the CBD ain't exactly ideal for most. And 9000 is nothing if it's country-wide.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Am I right in reading between the lines, and saying that prime inner city suburbs should be more affordable?
Because whilst a s**t box, 90 minutes from the CBD is affordable. It's not ideal?

More info required. Is this Australia wide? Buying a Metricon shitbox unit 90 minutes from the CBD ain't exactly ideal for most. And 9000 is nothing if it's country-wide.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Speaking of woke, I checked theguardian they had nothing on Pusey's court case. Not in the community's - (or their own political agenda narrative)interests I suspect

Back