Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Sure we are.

You really think this thread gets bumped if we win one of our first two games of the season?
You’re treating each season in isolation.

What has changed from last year?

Who has improved?

Saad has been a good addition, Walsh is a freak and McKay looks better. Nobody else has improved by the looks of it

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
We are not ‘two games in’.

This has been ongoing for years. The club has set a clear target of playing finals this year, history has shown that it is very hard to make finals from 0-2.

We have every right to start questioning his performance

If we win the next couple, which I think we've actually got a decent shot at doing, he's back to parity.

Last night was definitely a yardstick game though. We need to overtake sides like Collingwood, and realistically they had us at arms length all night.

Frustrating to watch.

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
Can you actually see us capitulating to a point of finishing say bottom 4 or even 6, with this improving list?

Apologies if you've addressed this elsewhere, Arr0w, but which teams do you see finishing below us?

Even with an improved list, I saw enough predicted wins in the fixture to perhaps, best case, land in that 10th-13th range - I reckon the competition will be hot for spots in the eight, and I was (am?) expecting us to fall into the group perhaps 2-3 wins off the pace... but that assumes we improve upon last season.

We'll need to get a wriggle on - two wins from our first six, for example, would probably put us right in the frame for a bottom 4-6 finish.

no fate

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Re watch the first quarter. IE from the very START... and tell me that the playing group was fully committed .....
Yeah I did watch it live, and clearly they weren't fully all committed. With a 4 quarter effort from the 22, switched on from the start, we likely would have won (no different to most other games I guess). Is it the coaches or the players? A bit of both I reckon. I think they need to find the right mix and it's not been found yet. There are about 4-5 players in the team that are obviously not pulling their weight currently, but if those weaknesses become strengths, things can change very quickly I think. The gap between top and bottom teams seems narrower than ever.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
If we win the next couple, which I think we've actually got a decent shot at doing, he's back to parity.

Last night was definitely a yardstick game though. We need to overtake sides like Collingwood, and realistically they had us at arms length all night.

Frustrating to watch.
Parity doesn’t get you into the finals. We need to win 13 games to make it.

Yes you can look at the next two games, but after that we have Brisbane and Port.

Last night was a must win game, and we s**t the bed

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Apologies if you've addressed this elsewhere, Arr0w, but which teams do you see finishing below us?

Even with an improved list, I saw enough predicted wins in the fixture to perhaps, best case, land in that 10th-13th range - I reckon the competition will be hot for spots in the eight, and I was (am?) expecting us to fall into the group perhaps 2-3 wins off the pace... but that assumes we improve upon last season.

We'll need to get a wriggle on - two wins from our first six, for example, would probably put us right in the frame for a bottom 4-6 finish.

There are a lot of pretty average mid-range teams. Collingwood are a bit more steady and consistent, and that was pretty apparent last night. Freo are drastically overrated, Melbourne are at a similar level to us, GWS are average. The Bulldogs are a good team, but still have a pretty soft underbelly, and we've had their number in recent seasons. Gold Coast are improving and tbh I could see them being really competitive, but obviously it's still wait and see.

In a salary capped league there is always going to be congestion for spots in the 8, but we're still firmly in the mix. Huge month coming up though.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Parity doesn’t get you into the finals. We need to win 13 games to make it.

Yes you can look at the next two games, but after that we have Brisbane and Port.

Last night was a must win game, and we sh*t the bed

I must have thought we'd had Brisbane in the next couple - winning that match would bring us back to being even (win one we didn't expect to win to make up for the one we'd pencil in as win to make finals).

We've got a favourable draw, just need to capitalise.

I wouldn't say we s**t the bed last night either. Got beaten by a better team that had something to prove after last weeks loss. We didn't play well, but we weren't embarrassed.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
I must have thought we'd had Brisbane in the next couple - winning that match would bring us back to being even (win one we didn't expect to win to make up for the one we'd pencil in as win to make finals).

We've got a favourable draw, just need to capitalise.

I wouldn't say we sh*t the bed last night either. Got beaten by a better team that had something to prove after last weeks loss. We didn't play well, but we weren't embarrassed.
We can’t keep letting teams that have a little bit of media pressure dominate us like that. It has happened time and time again

We need to match the intensity, we brought it against the tigers, we didn’t last night.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

At this stage, no reason to think we can't finish above the same sides from last year and the 3 - 4 above us.

But you are correct, the next month is crucial

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
We can only hope this is our Geelong 2007 moment... start the season poor... leaders emerge, pull their fingers out and a culture from handbaggers to premiers is born.

Geelong had made finals in the recent years prior: 2004 & 2005, but missed 2006.

We are not remotely comparable.

But we should do everything to have Teague succeed (just as the Cats did with Bomber and the Tigers did with Hardwick).

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
At this stage, no reason to think we can't finish above the same sides from last year and the 3 - 4 above us.

But you are correct, the next month is crucial

The disappointment many have, myself included, is that Collingwood is the type of team we should be knocking over if we truly are emerging.

But they are still two full yards in front of us even with their off-season from hell.

But I agree, now is not the time to panic (nor should there ever be).

I genuinely hope that Teague addresses the failings now and does not keep losing in the same way.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The disappointment many have, myself included, is that Collingwood is the type of team we should be knocking over if we truly are emerging.

But they are still two full yards in front of us even with their off-season from hell.

I genuinely hope that Teague addresses the failings now and does not keep losing in the same way.

Yeap, Pies were there for the taking, just means we need to knock off an extra win against another top 8 side

I have confidence in Teague - we will get better as season progresses and new players get to know each other's games and coaching team gets to know how to use them better and we get some more class into teh starting 22.

Lots of disapointment about last night - understandable, next two games are must wins and then one of Brisbane or Port to turm the tide and lift spirits. I dont care about statitics re 0:2 - meaningless number to anyone who has a clue about statistics.

This year was always going to be pressure on coach to perform. He has a cool head - lets see how the players respond.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Collingwood are always a perfect storm. Well structured, stacked in the midfield, and meticulously planned. We don't have the collective game sense to play against teams that are prepared for everything we're about to throw at them.

Think we're underestimating how well they played in patches.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Why not gift cunners a game? Murphy, Ed, cas, sps, setters, Dow, plowman all being gifted games right now. Put cunners in the middle and watch him tear it up
He had just 16 touches and 1 goal playing a mix of half forward and midfield in the VFL last week. Stocker and Cottrell were much better than him, and even Kennedy/Carroll had some good moments.

Cunners is very far down the pecking order by the looks of things.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
Why not gift cunners a game? Murphy, Ed, cas, sps, setters, Dow, plowman all being gifted games right now. Put cunners in the middle and watch him tear it up
Yes agree unfortunately there arent ridgey didge seconds games till rd 6 or any game this round .
So you cant really go off form of the reserves players pick your team on what is best to counter the opposition mix , form and injury of current senior players .
We need some dash in that midfield lets back him in on a wing for mine or starting mid .

Honestly think, even if we are 0-6 Teague will still be safe..

In regards to assistant coaches, they are Teague's choice..
If he want's to hinge his career on Barker and the others then he must believe in them and what they offer
(remember Teague works with them every day, we only blame them for losses).

All that has happened is the training wheels are now off and like all senior coaches he is accountable for the performance..

Personally I'm 60/40 pro Teague, just don't like the losing is ok as long as you grow culture that he teaches.
Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong are ruthless, where we are not.

Can only see Teague being in big trouble if we miss finals in 2022 or sooner if Clarkson was pushing to come to Carlton..

Back