Traded Sam Petrevski-Seton [Traded to West Coast as part of three way trade for Pick 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

If we persist in trying to turn him into a small defender then we deserve to lose him.

With his talent and disposal he needs to be played on the half-forward line. He should be our last kick into the forward 50, not the first or second kick out of defence. We are utterly wasting him. Hes amazing in congestion and can deliver it low, flat and fast to our key talls.
Seems like you are persisting with that role

Last edited:

Seems like the sort of player Carlton would be interested in.

High draft pick with potential. Could get him for a token late pick.

North or Gold Coast would probably have interest.

A token pick. You must be kidding.

Pick in the 20s would do it, and whoever is lucky enough to get him at that price will have a gun hff coming into his prime.

Wasted in the back pocket.

Pick in the 20s would do it, and whoever is lucky enough to get him at that price will have a gun hff coming into his prime.

If he played any good on the HFF, he'd be playing there. Much easier to find defenders than forwards.

That game against the Dogs was unreal but never seen him back up.

He has one out of the box performance per year, starting from his debut when he dominated Collingwood as an 18-year old, but he's not a week-to-week performer and isn't fit enough to play in the midfield.

Also has an annoying tendency to butcher the ball despite being a technically nice kick.

If he played any good on the HFF, he'd be playing there. Much easier to find defenders than forwards.

That game against the Dogs was unreal but never seen him back up.

He showed some great signs as a mid/hff in his first year or two. I remember a 3 Brownlow vote game against Collingwood in what was probably his 5th or 6th game. The move to the back pocket has been terrible for him.

I maintain someone else will get the best out of him if we don’t. And his best is brilliant.

Not sure a club would waste a pick in the 20s based off potential for playing a new position. He’s played 80 odd games which is enough to see what he’s capable of. You ain’t paying for potential in this situation.

He showed some great signs as a mid/hff in his first year or two. I remember a 3 Brownlow vote game against Collingwood in what was probably his 5th or 6th game. The move to the back pocket has been terrible for him.

I maintain someone else will get the best out of him if we don’t. And his best is brilliant.
Look like Jack Martin at GCS , purely on potential , end of 2nd round pick .

He's got heaps of talent, as shown in seasons 2018-19. Unfortunately, Carlton has had injuries to defenders like Newman and Marchbank for the better part of the last two years. That's what causes him to be stuck in defence. It's either him or Williams, and the latter provides more upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I definitely agree with the last sentence.

I heard a whisper the Crows were in the mix - supposedly family in Adelaide is a positive.

I just don't see it for him. Had to put a finger on it, definitely has all the tools on the training track and highlight reel, but it doesn't happen over 4 quarters or on a weekly basis. Is it merely playing as a defender? Is it focus, fitness, running to the right areas, does he need to be higher up the chain and given real responsibility instead of being a role player?

I think his time as a defender should surely be up considering the players and depth they have back there. Saad, Docherty, Williamson - Newman injured, Williams if needed, Plowman can play smallish.
Is he needed on a forward flank with Fisher, Martin, Gibbons? Betts and Murphy are stop-gaps so maybe he takes on more of a Murphy role in 2022. Newnes able to do multiple roles. Plenty of guys either end though.
Leaves the midfield - but a guy like Paddy Dow has been given more of a midfield role, clearly Carlton don't see it with him for some reason. Teams love giving out midfield opportunities, it's all the hype.

Think he's worth keeping but if I were Carlton I'd be happy to let him go if he started chasing dollars at another club. Not worth overpaying for. He's a not bad, not great half back who would probably command the average AFL salary which is ballpark $350k. Asking for more and I'd open the door for him and back in the other flankers Carlton already have.

To put into perspective his relative experience now - 13 games less than Weitering (B&F, borderline AA last year), 41 more than Walsh (breaking out into a bona-fide star, rather than just a future star)...

A similar comparison would be 24 less than Byrne-Jones (broke out last year with 6 extra games).

He's not a kid. 23, in the top dozen or so most experienced players at Carlton (getting a regular game). Time to show it. Walsh, Gibbons (state league experience not withstanding), McKay, Williamson are all taking steps, he should too.

To put into perspective his relative experience now - 13 games less than Weitering (B&F, borderline AA last year), 41 more than Walsh (breaking out into a bona-fide star, rather than just a future star)...

A similar comparison would be 24 less than Byrne-Jones (broke out last year with 6 extra games).

He's not a kid. 23, in the top dozen or so most experienced players at Carlton (getting a regular game). Time to show it. Walsh, Gibbons (state league experience not withstanding), McKay, Williamson are all taking steps, he should too.
Hard to have a breakout year when he's been played out of position for the last 2 years.

Hard to have a breakout year when he's been played out of position for the last 2 years.

Yes and you surely have to ask the question of why they don't think he can push into a forward/midfield group that isn't quite fully fleshed out, and instead has to fight it out with quite a few back flankers. Especially when there are issues with forward entries/last kick inside forward 50.

What were the coaching staff not getting out of him to change it up so drastically? Especially with a guy who on the training track has the weapons he does...

Yes and you surely have to ask the question of why they don't think he can push into a forward/midfield group that isn't quite fully fleshed out, and instead has to fight it out with quite a few back flankers. Especially when there are issues with forward entries/last kick inside forward 50.

What were the coaching staff not getting out of him to change it up so drastically? Especially with a guy who on the training track has the weapons he does...
Because regardless of us able to bring in Saad, Simpson retired while both Marchbank and Newman are still injured. We have no one left to cover in defence except for SPS. I'm sure the club don't want to play our $800k+ recruit Williams on a HBF either, just to let Petrevski-Seton get more midfield time.

I'm sure the opportunity for Samo will come, but it's just not right now.

Would be happy to see him go. End of 2nd sounds right. Don't think he's got it. Sick of his dinky sideways kicks, avoiding physical contact and going missing for largrp chunks of games.

SPS sums up everything wrong with Carlton's list.
Kid is 23 years old and played out of position, Would be disappointing to offload him before giving him the opportunity to play in his natural position
I would love to see how he goes for 4-5 weeks playing in the position Marc Murphy has been played.

Think he would do better than smurf

Kid is 23 years old and played out of position, Would be disappointing to offload him before giving him the opportunity to play in his natural position
I would love to see how he goes for 4-5 weeks playing in the position Marc Murphy has been played.

Think he would do better than smurf

Thank you.

I've posted this before on the Carlton but ive always seen Sammo as a visceral player. In the thick of it, fly by the seat of his pants... hes amazing. On the fly and working on gut instinct he does his best work. Problem is is we (well the coaches at least) have some deranged belief that he can be a cerebral player like Doc. Some guys can play that mindset, that can map it out goal square to goal square. They can see three plays ahead, those guys tend to be your leaders and set up play. Sammos problem is he plays on instinct but because his skill by foot can be so precise the coaches are trying to turn him into something hes not. Hes not a playmaker, hes a finisher.

If youre so inclined, then i would recommend watching the club's own highlight reel of him. Its filled with him playing forward of centre and just nailing targets inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back