Can an independent commission investigate the AFL for blatant cheating?

Remove this Banner Ad

No chance something doesn’t come out of this game.

reality is that Selwood goal was from a clearGuthrie holding the ball along with the last one has corrupted the result. Lions should be rightly complaining about this big time.

Saw Blicav - most blatant HTB you can get; not even a discussion.

Didn't see Selwood/Guthrie thing; anyone got screen cap?

Do you really think free kick totals are evidence of equity or lack thereof? Watch the last 5 minutes again.

Geelong last week got back into the game because of 4 goals in a row; all of which involved dubious umpiring decisions - at best.

Think they realised it though, as frees were something like 10-1 Adelaide-Geeling in the last.

EDIT - my point is, as we all know, numbers of frees isn't always the most obvious factor; it's the type of free. 4 free kicks in defensive 50 is nothing compared to 4 free kicks in the forward 50; one is significantly more valuable.

I was under the impression it's a part-time gig with fu**-all pay. They do it purely for the love of the game and the prestige of being an AFL umpire.

This isn’t inconsistent with your point. It actually shows they need to be paid and trained properly.

If we paid them half properly we could demand basic professional standards - which were dramatically not met tonight. The outcome tonight is as much an indictment on the AFL as it is on the individual.

Just a reminder in case anyone forgot.

Yeah see tonight the shocking umpiring won Geelong the game as they got the home town frees and mistakes all in their favour in the last quarter. It didn't have that feeling from the opening bounce that the game was fixed though. Nobody sane could say the same about that GF after reviewing it and feel hard done by in comparison. It was 100% set up.

I was under the impression it's a part-time gig with fu**-all pay. They do it purely for the love of the game and the prestige of being an AFL umpire.

The top echelon of umpires are paid $90 k a year.

Hocking has destroyed the game and feel for the umpires to much rule changes and game over umpired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The non-HTB last night when Sier wasn't pinged despite trying to break tackles then just dropping the ball on the ground was worse.

******* woeful these campaigners are and they get paid big $ to serve up that s**t.

I was in a pub in Thailand, watching with a Sydney supporter. I was going for the Dogs but I was ropeable with the umpiring at the end so much that it made me angry that Footscray won.
Ok, I've made some inquiries and your alibi checks out. All of that other weird s**t you got up to in Thailand is outside of our jurisdiction, so you're free to go.

The whole game was messy with the umpiring. Bris got many lucky ones as well. As will your team in their game too.

Every game has iffy free kicks that favour each side like tonight and that’s ok due to the pace of the game and umpire angles.

The problem from tonight is the holding of the ball rule, umpire cannot say he was blindsided for Guthrie or Blicavs because they were spun around twice. So because they were clear it’s presents an image that the umpire will pay it when he wants too not when it should.
And from that point it becomes a game the umpires CAN dictate the result.

If umpires refuse to pay obvious free kicks because they simply don’t want too then it does not become fair game at all and the rules are useless in a way.

Did you only watch the last quarter? Many of Brisbane's goals came from free kicks/50m penalty.

Brisbane lost because they were far too inaccurate and left their run too late.
It was both.
If they were accurate they would have won by 5 goals, but that's not the point. You don't need to win by 5 goals.
They were robbed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back