Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

sfdsf.jpg

Contract Status: Retiring at the end of Season 2021
Last Game Played: Round 19, 2021 (omit)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:
Have to admit I was not overly inspired by his first quarter but he did well and he worked well with Wright when they where both up there.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
and kick straight
Hi misses are ugly which makes it seem like a bigger issue than it is. I suspect his conversion rate would be pretty standard.

Hmmm just looked it up. He has a 57% accuracy.

Compared to notorious butcher Joe Daniher’s .... 57%.

Ok, you’re right.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi misses are ugly which makes it seem like a bigger issue than it is. I suspect his conversion rate would be pretty standard.

Hmmm just looked it up. He has a 57% accuracy.

Compared to notorious butcher Joe Daniher’s .... 57%.

Ok, you’re right.

How many tall forwards go better than 60% in today's game? I think between 55-60 would be par, then a few like Darling and Gunston above that, that's without looking at stats so I could be way off.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
How many tall forwards go better than 60% in today's game? I think between 55-60 would be par, then a few like Darling and Gunston above that, that's without looking at stats so I could be way off.

Tory Dickson was good, but from a relatively small sample. Bruest is the best of the guys with a big sample, at 68%.

Weirdly. Mason Cox & Ben McEvoy are pretty decent. I'd guess they tend to take marks closer to goal.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Tory Dickson was good, but from a relatively small sample. Bruest is the best of the guys with a big sample, at 68%.

Weirdly. Mason Cox & Ben McEvoy are pretty decent. I'd guess they tend to take marks closer to goal.

Mason Cox is a great kick for goal, anything inside 40 and I'd back him in.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He is, just not one that would have naturally sprung to mind when thinking of guys with very good accuracy, I'd have thought Gunston was up in that region moreso than Cox.

I suppose Gunston takes a lot more shots, he'd back himself from further and harder angles so more misses.

Hope Harry Jones becomes a bit of a deadeye for us, he seems pretty comfortable in front of the sticks.

Is this bloke playing forward these days or not?

Are you expecting him to line up in the forward half in today's match?
Yes They didn’t send him back last week, so I doubt they ever will.

They sent him back last year when they finally realised he’ll never be as good a forward as a backman and that he’s really a quite ordinary forward. We’ll play Port against a seriously undermanned and too short a backline

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Plenty of talk this bloke was finished but jeez he’s important at the moment. He’s a target nobody else can offer. Jones isn’t ready yet and Wright isn’t capable. We need him in defence too. We need two of him.

Just the type you need with a young team.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
So much of hooker should be sewn into the fabric of this club.
Late pick who worked his arse off to get to AA standard
Could have left the club but was 2nd or 3rd to sign on during the ban.
Does what we need when asked to
Plays his heart out for the jumper.

If the same could be said for all our senior core of the last 10 years, our culture would be closer to that of Sydney's or geelongs, rather than Melbourne circa 2009-14.

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
Plenty of talk this bloke was finished but jeez he’s important at the moment. He’s a target nobody else can offer. Jones isn’t ready yet and Wright isn’t capable. We need him in defence too. We need two of him.

Just the type you need with a young team.

Some parallels, sadly, with Roger Merrett and early-mid 90s Brisbane. Hopefully the decade or so after he retires is just as good.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

If the same could be said for all our senior core of the last 10 years, our culture would be closer to that of Sydney's or geelongs, rather than Melbourne circa 2009-14.

We also tried to trade him at least twice - once to West Coast for draft picks and another time to Gold Coast... for Josh Caddy!

Recall the stories during the Caddy trade period, for the last two days he disappeared to a hideout and switched off his phone, so that nobody could contact him about approving a trade. He was that desperate to stay. It’s amazing.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
We also tried to trade him at least twice - once to West Coast for draft picks and another time to Gold Coast... for Josh Caddy!

Recall the stories during the Caddy trade period, for the last two days he disappeared to a hideout and switched off his phone, so that nobody could contact him about approving a trade. He was that desperate to stay. It’s amazing.
An amazing clubman and i hope we have him earmarked for a role post playing. He'd be great for development

You'd be justified in keeping on for a year or two longer just for his leadership and give him a role as an on-field coach of the VFL side.

Back