Can an independent commission investigate the AFL for blatant cheating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst umpiring call I’ve ever seen with no hyperbole
Very similar to the non HTB call on Cunnington by Edwards in the Tigers North 2014 elim final deep in the last. Game changer too.

Last night's was 100% HTB, Lions robbed. Chris Scott will still sook and throw his arms out when the Scats don't get a free though.

Surely its time for full time AFL umps and genuine open conversations on umpiring. I hate how the AFL muzzles coaches, players and AFL media from raising concerns with umpires. Instead of protecting them from criticism just pay them a fair wage to do the job properly and allow them the same professional criticism players get. Done.

Hocking is the biggest issue of the game at the moment chopping and changing rules and trailing rules in the vfl umpiring is a mess he has to take responsibility to.

If you watched the '16 or '17 grand finals, and have an IQ in the three digits, then you know the game is corrupt.

Not rigged entirely; most of what we see is a legitimate contest with umps trying to be impartial.

But when it matters, certain decisions are made (or not made) to benefit the agenda of the AFL.

That agenda is money. Like any business. You do know the AFL is a business, right?

The Cattery is easy money for the AFL, and the Cats will generally get the rub of the green when playing there.

This isn't just an AFL thing, either. All big sport is big business and this leads to obvious corollaries.

No point complaining about it. This is the way the world works.

Just don't bet on the away team at the Cattery (or Perth stadium) unless you have factored in the 'home ground advantage'.

And next time a fairytale story makes it to the grand final, you know who to bet on.

I made a mint on the Dogs in '16 because I noticed what was going on in the leadup to the grand final.

I then lost a heap on the Crows in '17 because at that stage I still hadn't quite woken up to the magnitude of the ruse.

Did you see the first quarter of North vs Port last week? 11-3 in favour of the home side. It was comical.

I expect to see a reverse of that tomorrow (i.e. Suns to be gifted), which is one reason why I am predicting a shellacking.

What's it like being so smooth-brained that only errors in the last 5 minutes affect the outcome of a game?

Follow up question, will this investigation include looking into why a team that got utterly flogged in terms of possession (by over 100 touches) somehow got 5.3 from free kicks in front of goal?

Final question, if we're looking at the last five minutes I assume this royal commission will include figuring out how a kick that went out right next to a team mate was deliberate out of bounds?

Umpiring needs to be reviewed and invested into.

When I was growing up there was holding the ball and dropping the ball. The Afl have done what they can to remove dropping the ball with making an attempt which is stupid.

it should be a simple game, dispose incorrectly and free kick against. Same with the throwing that has been allowed in the game.

The AFL has over complicated this game and turned it into a circus.

they need to stop lining their pockets and invest into proper umpiring and technology to support the umpires. The error rate and grey areas of this sport is ridiculous and then the over the top silence anyone who says anything against the umpires.

wouldn’t take much to fix, but afl would have to admit fault for failing the game, fans and umpires .... and that ain’t gonna happen.

Honestly the AFL is a Bush league in general and particularly when it comes to umpiring.

HTB and the random ruck frees paid are particularly frustrating. Ruck frees where 90% of the time noone knows which way the free is going.

The issue with HTB is the stupidity of not being HTB because the ball is knocked out in the tackle. Round 1 Silvagni's wasn't paid after the Richmond player ran half the field and was chased down.

You either correctly dispose of it or you don't.

The grey areas around prior opportunity are also nuts.

I don't know what has been posted so far, but McCarthy scored a goal in the third from a high free kick he got after a throw in. Shouldn't have gotten the free kick as Bews was clearly held off the ball and should have gotten the free kick first. So chalk that one off and you now lose by 7.
View attachment 1086883

Then add in the last 2 minutes of the match you had Smith kick it to Hawkins, ball rolls out of bounds for deliberate despite Hawkins easily being close enough. Thats a 50/50 one as sometimes they get paid, sometimes they don't.

But with under 40 seconds left Daniher sends Brisbane forward, where Coleman completely misses everything but chops the arm of Stewart and takes him out of the contest. Its either a chopped arm, in the back or unrealistic attempt, while Zorko has a nice big handful of Blicavs jumper.
View attachment 1086892

Zorko then immediate goes the tackle on Atkins which takes him to ground without the ball.

View attachment 1086893

All this talk of the Blicavs non-free kick (he should have been penalised) but yet absolutely no mention of 2 clear frees (chopped arms on Stewart, jumper hold on Blicavs) and what would have been a soft free on Atkins.

And to top that off with the way Brisbane kick, its hardly a sure fire goal anyway.

So to claim they were robbed is pretty laughable.

So you agree then, we do need a review into umpiring

This isn’t a Geel vs Bris matter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issue admitting that at all. With that said, this is just ridiculous:

Scores from free kicks:

Brisbane 5.3.33
Geelong 1.0.6

The whole game was a dumpster fire all round. I feel ill after it, lol. If Rohan gets paid that goal just before half time, this whole convo becomes moot anyway. Was like a full moon - so many awful decisions, such bad play, not a good spectacle, and players doing dumb sh*t all over the ground. A draw would've been the right result given all the BS that happened throughout the night
You mean the one where Rohan played on after the siren?

The Cam Guthrie one was way worse than any of these by the way. Full 720 degree spin and a throw to Selwood for a goal. Absolute shocker.

Which frees weren’t there in your opinion? Umpires have been hot on grabbing the man in the marking contest all year. Might be frustrating but at least that’s consistent. In reality it’s one of those situations where there were some dodgy frees/missed frees but one definitely stands out above the rest. Umpire should be dropped for that.

The non Vic sides really have to start showing a united front against the Victorian corruption.
I know right.
A Victorian club got the a home ground advantage like interstate clubs. Outrageous!
The thing is through, Geelong's the only Victorian club with a true home ground advantage. If they were relocated to Marvel Stadium, we might not see the blatant one sided umpiring gifted to, say, your club when playing at home.

*sigh

the umpiring was poor for both sides. Yes, the HTB decision near the lion's goal square should have been call, but the deliberate out-of-bounds decision against the cats which lead to the ball getting down there was also garbage.

There's no conspiracy, just incompetence and confusion

The biggest problem wasn't that it was a missed free kick and certain goal to Brisbane, it's that a quarter earlier in the identical spot another non-decision directly resulted in a goal to Geelong, which was ultimately a 12 point swing in what ended up a 1 point game.

You can be frustrated at a non-call but accept it as an error. Twice in the same game? Inexcusable. Was it the same umpire on both calls? A long holiday is required for the bloke.

Can an independent commission also be launched into how Gary Rohan is still an AFL listed player? I've been wondering this since the 2014 grand final. 7 years later and he's still there!

I know right.
A Victorian club got the a home ground advantage like interstate clubs. Outrageous!
The thing is through, Geelong's the only Victorian club with a true home ground advantage. If they were relocated to Marvel Stadium, we might not see the blatant one sided umpiring gifted to, say, your club when playing at home.
Papa G loves a Vic conspiracy

The biggest problem wasn't that it was a missed free kick and certain goal to Brisbane, it's that a quarter earlier in the identical spot another non-decision directly resulted in a goal to Geelong, which was ultimately a 12 point swing in what ended up a 1 point game.

You can be frustrated at a non-call but accept it as an error. Twice in the same game? Inexcusable. Was it the same umpire on both calls? A long holiday is required for the bloke.

Can an independent commission also be launched into how Gary Rohan is still an AFL listed player? I've been wondering this since the 2014 grand final. 7 years later and he's still there!
Rohan is dreadful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back