Review Round 2, 2021 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After taking some time to process the loss and the anger from that obvious missed call. I'm very proud of the boys, that was a real encouraging performance considering our injuries, our lack of experience, frustrating missed opportunities and the fact we played the Cats in a hostile away environment where nobody expected we would win. It was almost our greatest away win. There were several moments in the game where I thought we were going to be put to the sword and they were going to run away with a 10+ goal win. There were like like 3-4 times I was about to change the channel. But we grinded and stayed in it and clawed our way back into the game gradually in the second half and even got the lead back. I think this showed we've got rid of the rust and regained our confidence.

Yep.

As much as we would like Fages to unload, to do so would not only have the AFL throw the book at him but most likely result in the precious umpires deciding to give us a bit more stick just to "show him"

Even though he said he didn't comment on umpiring, I thought the tone he used barely disguised his disgust

AS HN said the "no point" comment was probably better than a full broadside.

Well played Fages

The best response is for the public/players to hound and harass the ump in every way possible on social media so that he will think twice before he makes another howler of a decision

Similar to Keays ?
Yep.

We played Keays exclusively as a forward, when his best position was mid. Gone to adelaide and been a very servicable mid.

We essentially replaced him with CEY, who we've also pretty much exclusively played forward - despite him being well-known to be a mid.

When we recruited him I, and I know many others, assumed he could be a key part of our midfield, and he'd shown enough at Adelaide to suggest that. Why we persist with playing him out of position I don't understand. There's far better forwards on our list than CEY, but there wouldn't be many better big bodied mids.

Can‘t help but agree with you and the other neutrals. Clear holding the ball, would have been an easy shot for goal and a near certain gutsy win. Robbed.

I have no horse in this race and I have seen enough footy to know better.

Umpires influence or determine at least 3 matches every round. It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to address.

As for the Lions, well they definitely had the better of the general play and should have put the match away with better forward play. You basically have to do this in order to take the putrid officiating out of the equation. Still, getting reamed in the crucial moments isn't an excuse to shift the focus from the umpires.

Geelongs official Facebook page:

View attachment 1086995

How dare they even compare those two games!

LMAO! That's no miracle mk2 you cheating campaigner$! The true MOG was an amazing display of grit and determination shown by a team that looked down and out, that was being belted to within an inch of its life by an aggressive side hell bent on destroying a lowly opponent. There was valour shown in that game by a Lions team that wouldn't lie down. To claim that the heavily umpire assisted s**t from last night is on par is cringingly, embarrassingly laughable. The Geelong game is not worthy of any "Miracle on Grass" title.

What is a worthy title is, " Geelong's umpire miracle". *!ng wankst@!ns

People are quick to jump on Zorko for his perceived ill discipline.

Unjustly IMO.

One of only a few of our players who always gives a sh*t.

Sure he gives away frees but he cops plenty, often off the ball but never seems to get anything back from the umps.

You often see him down on his haunches in obvious discomfort. How many times to you reckon a player can inflict damage on himself off the ball?

There's a guy named Selwood who ducks, dives, whines, whinges and gets an absolutely rails run from the umpires year in year out but his supporters absolutely love him.

And gets eulogised in the media like some kind of war hero.

Guys like Zorks can only dream if such favourable treatment

I wish people would stop bagging our captain and get behind him.

He bleeds for this club

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't disagree with what you have said, but we were in front with just over 3 minutes to go and had the ball inside the Geelong defensive 50 and Zorks gives away the free (agree Selwood ducks, dives etc etc to win them and it is a joke) but then for Zork to give away the extra 50 resulted in Geelong moving to the other end of the ground and a minute later kicking the winner.
FWIW I don't think it should have been an extra 50m against Zorks but just can't risk infringing at such a vital stage of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commiserations on the umpiring.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the game - if you haven't seen these before this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wing) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Sharp 20 wing
Prior 18 wing
McCluggage 15 (14w, 1i)
Neale 14
Lyons 14
Robinson 13
Zorko 13
Bailey 10
McCarthy 8
Cameron 5

McInerney 16
Fullarton 7
Daniher 3

Centre Clearances

Big O 3
Lyons 1
Zorko 1
Robinson 1
McCluggage 1
Fullarton 1
Neale 1
Rich 1

By Quarter - Q1

Neale 7
Sharp 6 wing
Prior 6 wing
McCluggage 5 (4w, 1i)
Lyons 4
Bailey 3
Robinson 3
Cameron 3
McCarthy 2
Zorko 1

Q2

Neale 5
Sharp 5 wing
Prior 5 wing
Lyons 4
Zorko 3
McCarthy 3
McCluggage 2 wing
Bailey 1
Robinson 1
Cameron 1

Q3

Sharp 6 wing
Robinson 6
McCluggage 5 wing
Zorko 5
Bailey 4
Lyons 3
Neale 1
McCarthy 1
Cameron 1

Q4

Zorko 4
Prior 4 wing
Sharp 3 wing
McCluggage 3 wing
Lyons 3
Robinson 3
Bailey 2
McCarthy 2
Neale 1

NB> I doubled checked Prior vs. McCluggage due to the TOG disparity between the 2, but couldn't find any instances that I had Prior down that should've been McCluggage, or that McCluggage received more than 1 inside start.

So thanks to that gutless non decision in the last 30 secs - we lost the 4 points. I didn't get any sleep - missus wants to know why I was screaming more than I normally do - we lost the 4 points - my weekend is ruined - we are now 0-2 when should be 1-1 - I didn't get any sleep !!

Seriously you have no reason not to pay that holding the ball - no reason at all. The fact that Guthrie got spun twice and then handed the ball to Selwood was just as bad. Say what you like about Razor Ray but he would have paid that holding the ball both incidents. Umpires are to scared to upset the local crowds!

Don't get me started on Selwood who for all his ability and courage has been cheating for years with ducking and throwing. He gets more free kicks than any other play.. yet questions when one is paid against him! That was dog act by him with the sling tackle after the whistle had been blown.. Rohan sniping off the ball another dog act. He should have got suspended when he took out three of our players last year.

Shocking first qtr where we were so slow to react. We slowly worked our way back into the game but let ourselves down again with bad misses in front of goal.

Gutsy fightback and had we not been robbed that might have really given the players a massive lift after Swans debacle. Not sure how we will react against Collingwood now?

We are still carrying too many dead weights. Birchall - Robbo - Ah Chee. Sharp tried hard but isn't quite ready - the bigger bodies just break his tackles with ease. Payne ball watches too much - Adams in before him.

Zorko needs to stop campaigning for free kicks and just get on with the game - he actually played well but the little annoying things are just happening too often. Lyons was enormous in getting us back in the game. McCluggage finally lifted in the last qtr but where was he for the previous 7 qtrs? Hippy best game in a long time. Demanded the ball - was hard at the contest - kicked some nice goals and missed some sitters as he normally does. Special mention to Big O who fought on superbly and was one of the reasons for our come back despite being on one leg.

Finally if you're not angry enough about the stolen 4 points go watch Chris Scott's press conference. Didn't see the holding decision at the end - how convenient. But saw the one where Tuohy had one paid against him ! Rohan snipe was ok because Neale started it !! But best of all he says we shouldn't blame umpires as its the hardest game to officiate - this from a guy who embarrass himself every week with his reactions to umpire decisions.

Rant over.
100% agree, great post and you weren't alone I had a s**t sleep too.
Like I said before the match we need for Clugga to step up, he is struggling with the pace , so hoping that game has improved his cardio .
Hands on hips too much.
Oscar . I loved it when he told Scott to go and get a proper haircut ,or something like that.
Bloody champion, love this guy to bits.

100%

They had to make at least one change after last weak, but dropping Coleman for Berry was a weak call - I had Coleman as one of our better players in Rd. 1.

Have to change the defence. It's too slow currently. One or multiple of Birchall, Lester, Ah Chee (him not due to being slow, but due to being pretty average in both games so far) should be dropped. Hopefully Gardiner is available this week.

One of CEY or Matho should be in the side, ESPECIALLY if Bez is out. Both bring some grit and a bigger body to the midfield, which we lack. Think C Guthrie, Libba, Jed Anderson, Greenwood, Sier or even Keays ( :( ) etc.; most sides have one of those types of mids in. If CEY could play like he did in his last couple of years at the crows, he'd be an asset.

If we get to the point where finals are out throw Ely and Dev into the middle and get some serious game time into them.

100% agree, great post and you weren't alone I had a sh*t sleep too.
Like I said before the match we need for Clugga to step up, he is struggling with the pace , so hoping that game has improved his cardio .
Hands on hips too much.
Oscar . I loved it when he told Scott to go and get a proper haircut ,or something like that.
Bloody champion, love this guy to bits.

Any tech people out there - I'd love a clip of that incident. Pretty please

Commiserations on the umpiring.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the game - if you haven't seen these before this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wing) at bounces.
Thanks for posting. Looks like Zorko had a big impact on our comeback when he moved into the middle.

Yep.

We played Keays exclusively as a forward, when his best position was mid. Gone to adelaide and been a very servicable mid.

We essentially replaced him with CEY, who we've also pretty much exclusively played forward - despite him being well-known to be a mid.

When we recruited him I, and I know many others, assumed he could be a key part of our midfield, and he'd shown enough at Adelaide to suggest that. Why we persist with playing him out of position I don't understand. There's far better forwards on our list than CEY, but there wouldn't be many better big bodied mids.
Well said. Lot of curious decisions that you suspect are holding us back.

Also amazing effort Oscar, did the team so proud
Zorko has made some clangers but he has been also setting the standard for us in terms of intensity and desire. He was crucial in our comebacks both this week and last week.

Until the rest of the team lifts to match his level of sheer care-factor, I am willing to forgive the occasions where his emotions spill over.
me too , he said as one of our best .

Back