Delisted #49: Tom Hird - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

49 hird.jpg

Contract Status: Delisted
Last Game Played: Yet to debut

Injury Status: n/a

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:

Surely I'm not the only one who was thinking that he was given a spot on the list "Just to see what happens"?

Starting to really look like a handy little player. Might actually amount to something here

Surely I'm not the only one who was thinking that he was given a spot on the list "Just to see what happens"?

Starting to really look like a handy little player. Might actually amount to something here

yep was my thoughts exactly - bumming around on the supplementary list for a couple of years sure beats getting a real job.

But seems he's giving it a real crack, and looks alright too

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

I thought at the time it was a bit speculative as well. But the pedigree is there obviously, and with Supp B rookies not taking up a list spot or space in the TPP, it was always worth a shot.

About as close to a 'free swing' as it gets. If it works out, awesome. If it doesnt, the PR of having a Hird back at the club is worth it anyway probably.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Nice. Classic Hird hardball get. Underdog in a contested situation and turns it into a win somehow.

Paging ant555 Tommy was apparently quite in the second half of the VFL game today?
He was reasonable across the day. Got a few rebounds but the defence was a bit under the pump due to our poor ball use further up the ground.
Not sure he has that something special. I know it is early on but he looks like a good small player but no real X factor to set him apart.

Tom Hird
“The boys were pretty happy with ‘Hirdy’ after the game. He put himself in dangerous positions in the air and took a few really courageous marks, so his contest work was really good. He’s just learning the defensive games; a few times he lost his direct opponent so that’s something he’ll keep learning on as a new backman. His ball use was better this week; he’s making good decisions with the ball and executing his kicks.”

Doesn't sound close to a debut if he's only just learning defensive stuff..

I know these are always puff pieces but a lot of that actually sounds really promising. First actual game against an opposition in probably 6 years? You’d be surprised if he didn’t get a bit lost

Back