Autopsy Round 2, 2021: St.Kilda v Melbourne *SPUD'S GAME* *SINCLAIR 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

79 turnovers.... from 360 disposals terrible
That is the game right there - in a nutshell - we weren't beaten by a superior team tonight, we simply coughed up the ball far far too easily on far too many occasions. The only time I found myself thinking "too good Melbourne" was when young Kosi Pickett was in action - besides that - we just shat the bed.

Oh yeah - Hill - piss off - I want my draft picks back Freo - your body of work over 25 odd games now suggests to me you are just a weak spud with no heart.

Hill is a winger and is fed by a winning midfield, which we never had.
Same goes with the forwards if the ball is not being delivered they can not do miracles.
A Hunter Clark , Gresham , Jones just didn't get enough of the ball for midfielders and hopefully Crouch will improve this area.
The game was woeful and running a under-performing midfield with a ruckman that is most probably the worst in the AFL going by that game will not cut it.
Carlisle needs to come in , Ryder has to play and Crouch and Kent are must in's.
If Ryder doesn't play next week just play McKernan as a lone ruckman - Hunter must not play , Alabakis could of done better.
I fully expect this game is just a game to forget , playing a midfield with Oliver , Petracca and Gawn we were hoping a bit to much.
Add Marshall , Ryder , Crouch and Carlisle and it will be a different story.

Next week it will be turned around.
Of course we will win next week. The bombers are s**t and got slammed with injuries to key players today.

But * me, Melbourne are horrid and they smashed us. Even then, we had so many chances.

9 points down late in the third and Hill...

There are moments in games where you could be having a stinker and it changes everything for you.

In the space of minutes he misses a piss easy shot at goal for someone for his quality after calling for the ball off Jones 45m out.

Chance to hit members and we make a meal of it. Rebounds and goals up the other end to end the third.

Battle. Poor and so disappointing.
Jones, so excited to get him back and he was horrid.

Need a ruck back. As a frustrated supporter tonight you have to wonder how hard that would be to watch for paddy.

Does anyone know the * when Marshall and Ryder are back? Seeing McKernan play makes me sick. As for Hunter - good on him for having a crack but he should be playing state league football, is clearly nowhere near it.

If we're going to handball to Hill at least give him a bloody shephard! We dish it off and just stand there watching him attract heat. And that's if we even hit the target with the handball. Such a lazy and lethargic night, physically and mentally.

Last edited:
Another classic insipid performance on a big, important night for the club. That's how you know football is back. So many things that were just terrible tonight, it's hard to know where to start. Apologies for the long, ranting post.

- The whole Covid set up is a joke. The crowd was clearly no where near capacity yet we are jammed in like sardines in certain areas - way less "covid-safe" than any typical home game set up yet we need to go through all these extra steps to go into a less "safe" environment.

- Someone needs to get on the phone and bring Ryder back. We need him. You can carry one below the level ruck but you cant carry two of them. And we saw that tonight. Hunter will cop more heat but McKernan was worse in my opinion.

- Desperately missed having someone take a mark up the ground when coming out of defence. 2 weeks in a row thats been a huge issue. Membrey tried is guts out and was fantastic in the first quarter but was just outsized in the end. McKernan is hopeless as already discussed. Felt like King hardly went up the ground and also spent a decent time on the bench each quarter leave us with no target up forward - the ball barely went down there so what the hell were they resting him from? The run to the bench would have taken more out of him than anything that was happening up forward.

- Stop playing Josh Battle on the wing. He is a key forward, play him in his actual position. Especially when we were struggling for a target up forward, or a player who can lead up the ground. Instead, we just didnt have someone doing that and instead used Battle out of position. And it's not like we don't have two very good and highly paid wings in the side who have the tanks to play the majority of the game there. It make no sense why we keep attempting this experiment when it keeps producing nothing.

- I've gotten in a lot of arguments defending Seb Ross over the years, but these last two weeks have shown why I keep doing it. I'd rather someone with limitations like Ross in the side every week but you know will work his ass off than half of the more talented players who were out there tonight.

- Dougal Howard take a bow. You were exceptional. I hope your teammates apologise to you for the constant pressure they out you under tonight. If only half of them have the determination and grit to keep on trying like you do. Instantly see why he is Vice Captain after only being at the club for a year.

- Steele showed why he is our captain. Lifted when we needed him. He's is everything the media says Patrick Cripps is but actually produces it on field. And one of the few 'premier mids' who actually threatens in the forward line - except unsurprisingly is never mentioned in the conversation.

- Anyone tries to call Billings weak again can just piss off. He might be an outside player, but he puts his body on the line and just doesnt flinch when contact comes. His mark in the 2nd quarter was incredible.

- The huge loss Ben Paton is really showed tonight. Pickett wouldn't have got a kick on Paton, yet no real lockdown small defender and the guy plays the best game of his career. Big ask for Gears to come straight back from a broken leg and be that lockdown defender we need. Webster and Long try but dont have the qualities that make Paton so good.

- Gresh was okay - better in the 2nd half again. Is there something we are doing positional or rotations wise to keep him fresh?

- When is Hill actually going to deliver on the promise? His game was actually disgraceful. I hope he donates his entire match payment to tonights cause because his performance was that bad.

- The 3 smalls were invisible. I thought Lonie presented the best despite him having the lowest stats - seemed to be more lively and out himself in better positions, especially in the first half. Buter and Higgins were both non-entities tonight. If we dont get a big game from Butler next week, he will seriously be entering one-season wonder territory.

- Worst game Hunter Clark and Coffield have played for a while. Not impressed with Jones either - 12 disposals just not good enough from someone starting in the middle all game. Bytel tried when he came on - and looked okay - but the damage was done.

I think thats everyone. Geez, good to get the first real melt of the season out of the way.

Same goes with the forwards if the ball is not being delivered they can not do miracles.
A Hunter Clark , Gresham , Jones just didn't get enough of the ball for midfielders and hopefully Crouch will improve this area.
The game was woeful and running a under-performing midfield with a ruckman that is most probably the worst in the AFL going by that game will not cut it.
Carlisle needs to come in , Ryder has to play and Crouch and Kent are must in's.
If Ryder doesn't play next week just play McKernan as a lone ruckman - Hunter must not play , Alabakis could of done better.
I fully expect this game is just a game to forget , playing a midfield with Oliver , Petracca and Gawn we were hoping a bit to much.

Exactly, Clark, Gresh and Jones can play part-time in the midfield but none are full time mids or can compete with midfield bulls like Oliver, Petracca, Viney and Bradshaw.
- Gresham is a long bomb, rushed kick kind of mid, can’t bring others players in.
- Clark still too green and inconsistent to play full-time mid
- Jones again needs space to run, although is tough but does not have the nous of an inside mid..

So we actually need Steele, Crouch and Bytel at the centre bounces/clearances, and have Ross, Gresham, Jones rotating. Hill, Billings on the outside..

Missing Crouch, Bytel and a competent ruck tonight.. Plus when the opposition hit their targets all day, put pressure game is ineffective.. so play a full-press from the backline only allows easy goals to be conceded.. Ratten needs to do better here..

Of course we will win next week. The bombers are sh*t and got slammed with injuries to key players today.

But fu** me, Melbourne are horrid and they smashed us. Even then, we had so many chances.

9 points down late in the third and Hill...

There are moments in games where you could be having a stinker and it changes everything for you.

In the space of minutes he misses a piss easy shot at goal for someone for his quality after calling for the ball off Jones 45m out.

Chance to hit members and we make a meal of it. Rebounds and goals up the other end to end the third.

Battle. Poor and so disappointing.
Jones, so excited to get him back and he was horrid.

Need a ruck back. As a frustrated supporter tonight you have to wonder how hard that would be to watch for paddy.
We are stuck with Hill and just hope he improves , there were many disappointments in the game and it just might be the wake up we need.
When you get murdered in the midfield it makes it harder on everyone else - they might of been better trying to tag Oliver.

Gain and Oliver dominated the midfield and clearances all night so we tried playing an extra on ball. Dees played a loose behind the ball and used langdons hard running to overlap.

What s**t me was we had 4 tallish forwards in King skunk battle and mckernan but still kicked it to an outnumber everytime. No paton to take kozzy pickett hurt as well.

We are stuck with Hill and just hope he improves , there were many disappointments in the game and it just might be the wake up we need.
When you get murdered in the midfield it makes it harder on everyone else - they might of been better trying to tag Oliver.
Even with the smashing in the centre. We won so much ball at half back and butchered it.

Off the top of my head, 3 on 1 break forward of the centre, ball in Jones’s hands and he elects to kick forward rather than draw the player and handball to the two in space.

Turnover and Melbourne goal from memory.

So many instances. Will we kick that badly again? Probably not, but it’s cost us a game we should of well and truly won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As expected, I don't want to see Paul Hunter's name on another team sheet. Yes, he was up against it this week, but just doesn't have the talent to compete at this level. Complete waste of a list spot.

Ok.
Saw the first quarter only and can’t be bothered reading through all these pages.

Can anyone give me a 5 point précis of what happened - aside from MaxGawn, I assume.( I absolutely HATE losing to the Dees.) 🤬

Edit: Actually don’t bother, I just read BrutThough a few posts back. Told me all I need to know.

if Jake Carlisle isn’t selected on field for next weeks game I’m going to melt down on selection night. We played terribly tonight, would he have made a difference? I say yes. We lost to Melbourne last year by not playing him. If Ratten wants to win games he needs to bring the best players into the game.
If Carlisle isn't worth a game ahead of Hunter what is he still doing on our list?

He's the same height as Roma and could play a similar style of game. Ruck work would probably stuff his back but at least he's an AFL standard player still considered by many as best 22.

Even with the smashing in the centre. We won so much ball at half back and butchered it.

Off the top of my head, 3 on 1 break forward of the centre, ball in Jones’s hands and he elects to kick forward rather than draw the player and handball to the two in space.

Turnover and Melbourne goal from memory.

So many instances. Will we kick that badly again? Probably not, but it’s cost us a game we should of well and truly won.
Not sure about the statement that we should have won the game, midfield win games.. on a good day with no injuries, our midfield barely breaks even with the top teams.. Melbourne actually have a top 5 midfield (Gawn, Viney, Oliver, Petracca), pitty their forwards are crap but wait until Brown comes back from injury.. So having no ruckman (let’s me honest Hunter and Mckernan don’t really count) and only Steele as a competent inside mid playing (Bytel was the sub), we were always up against it with our long bomb game plan. (Remember last year that also stationed Gawn, Lever, May, Tomlinson in their backline and kicked easy goals on turnovers)

So this was always a danger game.. basically we played to their strength and nullified our own.. pressure (they hit their targets most of the game) and small forwards (we kicked to their defenders). Ratten lost it tactically and our injury/suspension really didn’t help.

Mate, Hill is getting fed the ball a lot, but when he has it a lot of the time he absolutely butchers it.

I know we have a big injury list but top 4 sides don’t have spuds like McKernan or Hunter in the team. Give me Carlisle at least.

Midfield was just atrocious. We talked all week in here about the ‘one speed Dees’ but every time they had the ball (which we gave to them) they had absolute paddocks to run into. When we didn’t give it to them they used their ‘one speed’ and killed us in the contest, particularly the Gawn-Oliver combo.

Even then we were lucky that they dropped sitters and couldn’t kick straight. We deserved to lose, and actually should’ve lost, by 10 goals, and to say that about this Melbourne team is just damning on ours.

I felt like I was watching a game from 2018. Our ******* KPD had (equal) most disposals for us. That’s ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back