VFL VFL: Geelong Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenkins is a good forward and a horrible ruckman. If he gets picked we have to use Blicavs as the 2nd ruck.

I would still prefer to use DeKoning instead next Monday. He has shown in the scratch matches last year that he can take a mark and kick multiple goals.

Expose the youth when the opportunity arises

After I made this comment he pretty much spend the rest of the game on a wing and didn’t really ruck.
He has a great leap but doesn’t have enough size to be a main ruck as yet.
He took a couple of nice pack marks but was a little fumbly with ground balls which I can understand at his height.
You said Neale played a bit of key back right? Was he OK there?

Have been wondering about positioning of our talls and thinking of Gawns stints in the backline. Rotating rucks to kpd rather than kpf makes a fair bit of sense. Crowd their forward line not ours. Is Neale close to physically ready to take a kpd role? He seemed pretty chunky in the legs and I assume this means he has some core strength.

You said Neale played a bit of key back right? Was he OK there?

Have been wondering about positioning of our talls and thinking of Gawns stints in the backline. Rotating rucks to kpd rather than kpf makes a fair bit of sense. Crowd their forward line not ours. Is Neale close to physically ready to take a kpd role? He seemed pretty chunky in the legs and I assume this means he has some core strength.
He was okay. Did look a little lost at times and his man would get him on a lead but made some good spoils when the ball was kicked in high and deep. He was pretty good by foot, taking a few kick ins too.

He played deep Full Back and Krueger played more CHB and was much better in my opinion, taking intercept marks and using his pace to dash off half back.

Looking at Neale he doesn’t look out of place body wise but if defence is where they want him, he will need time to learn the role. It seems they will play him all over the ground this year as a development year.

After I made this comment he pretty much spend the rest of the game on a wing and didn’t really ruck.
He has a great leap but doesn’t have enough size to be a main ruck as yet.
He took a couple of nice pack marks but was a little fumbly with ground balls which I can understand at his height.

All sounds good and fair at the stage of development he is at...thanks for the update..who rucked mostly today was it fort or did neale go in there?

He was okay. Did look a little lost at times and his man would get him on a lead but made some good spoils when the ball was kicked in high and deep. He was pretty good by foot, taking a few kick ins too.

He played deep Full Back and Krueger played more CHB and was much better in my opinion, taking intercept marks and using his pace to dash off half back.

Looking at Neale he doesn’t look out of place body wise but if defence is where they want him, he will need time to learn the role. It seems they will play him all over the ground this year as a development year.
Thanks for the info! Wish I could get to games.

Danger Signs at Port Melbourne Oval
https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/891377

Article on yesterday’s game.

Goals: Jenkins (5), Close, Jarvis (4), McLachlan (3), Johnston (2), Holmes, Duncan, Fort, Taheny (1)

Best: Holmes, Guthrie, Krueger, Fort, Close, Jenkins

Highlighted the most important and awesome part

Jenkins is a good forward and a horrible ruckman. If he gets picked we have to use Blicavs as the 2nd ruck.

I would still prefer to use DeKoning instead next Monday. He has shown in the scratch matches last year that he can take a mark and kick multiple goals.

Expose the youth when the opportunity arises

Dont think de koning is ready but with sav injured its possible. I agree jenkins is a better forward than say rohan but a poor ruck.

Hawks smalls are probably more dangerous than their talls up forward so every chance we just ruck blitz.

Who plays the key forward position vacated by Rohan?

Close can replace Miers or Dahl. Whoever replaces rohan structurally needs to be a tall which probably means its jenkins or de koning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close can replace Miers or Dahl. Whoever replaces rohan structurally needs to be a tall which probably means its jenkins or de koning.

Could Jarvis play a similar role or not ready?

Left field idea, maybe Fort could be the second forward and switch with Stanley in the ruck? It would be a good opportunity to see Kreuger, but it seems that he is now at the other end of the field.

Could Jarvis play a similar role or not ready?

Jarvis strikes me as a forward flanker.
He is too light to play a key position.

Jenkins, De Koning or Kreuger are the only fit players who I think could fill the spot until Cameron is fit.

It looks like the Cats are trying to shape Krueger into a defender, although I think that he is really a forward. Regardless, I think that he can play both ends of the ground.

He's the one with more marking ability and the obvious direct replacement. But the Richmond game last year showed that Rohan's a lot more important than most people give him credit for. Grimes gave Jarvis absolutely no respect and destroyed us.
Yeah we hung Jarvis out to dry debuting him that game. I think the Hawks backline as a less solid unit could give him a better look in

Jarvis strikes me as a forward flanker.
He is too light to play a key position.

Jenkins, De Koning or Kreuger are the only fit players who I think could fill the spot until Cameron is fit.

It looks like the Cats are trying to shape Krueger into a defender, although I think that he is really a forward. Regardless, I think that he can play both ends of the ground.
Freddie is a forward and he is only playing back as they thought no room forward with Hawkins Cameron and Rohan so with 2 of them out he should play....But think they will go with Fort

Last edited:

Are our coaches being too clever?
It’s all very well to recruit players based on the strengths and performance in their positions- so why do we then immediately switch them into other roles?
Talls need time to develop , I’d settle them into the rigours of AFL in the roles they know first.
Neale is a ruck / forward, SDK is a KPD , Kreuger was touted as a forward.
Let’s these guys gain some confidence and runs on the board before we turn them into versatile utilities ☹️
We should look at Blitz - Mr versatile but as KPD he has a lot of work to do defending one on one. He’d be a lot more advanced if we’d left him as a KPD the last few years.

Jarvis has had 1 chance against one of the best back lines in the comp as a very late call up
Would love to see him have a game against a lesser side and see what confidence that could give him
I still have tempered expectations, but watching the defensive work from the Hawks at the minute I think he'll get a decent do over. Three loose forwards on a slow entry, clarko would be fuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back