Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

‪I laughed when we signed Truck after not interviewing or even looking at what else was out there.Due diligence seemed to have got us into trouble once before,looks like history is repeating. Xavier Campbell should have been cleaned out end of last year. Not surprised, we are done‬. We also signed Shiel, Smith, Saad (gone), Stringer. What on earth were we thinking, who was making this decisions? Richardson? Well he’s gone - Xavier needs to go and Truck as well - sitting on the pine, not overseeing the game? We have limited staff etc. he needs to bloody witness first hand what is going on not via a headset.

I’m sick on the pathetic weak club.

Is this even a rebuild?

Using the rest of the competition to determine it because we refuse to be honest with ourselves. We fielded the youngest team in the competition this week. 1 month per player younger than Gold Coast, 3 Months North Melbourne, 4 months Adelaide. If you think any of them are rebuildng. We certainly meet their requirements.

He's going to have to sit down with the club and a mentor and work out how to handle press conferences.

This inarticulate deer in headlights bullshit is just going to get him sacked because at the end of the day if the results are bad, and there is good reason to think they will be, he's going to need to be able to sell a vision.

I'd even just like to know what it is we are supposed to be doing and how that differs from last year. It's not a ******* state secret. All our opponents know what we are doing, just as they know what every other club is doing.

Tell us how we're going to become Richmond or the coteries are going to eat you for breakfast Ben, and so they should.

He's going to have to sit down with the club and a mentor and work out how to handle press conferences.

This inarticulate deer in headlights bullshit is just going to get him sacked because at the end of the day if the results are bad, and there is good reason to think they will be, he's going to need to be able to sell a vision.

I'd even just like to know what it is we are supposed to be doing and how that differs from last year. It's not a ******* state secret. All our opponents know what we are doing, just as they know what every other club is doing.

Tell us how we're going to become Richmond or the coteries are going to eat you for breakfast Ben, and so they should.

You mean the 'learnings' corporate speak won't work this time?

I'm so learned I've come out the other side of the event horizon dumber for the experience

Ok, we get it. The club didn't follow the correct process to find the next coach and we are the only club to have done this in the last few years, along with Melbourne, St Kilda, North Melbourne ect. But the constant complaining, when we can't undo it, it just a waste of effort.

I understand the frustration, I feel that at times as well, but the mixed messages coming from the supporters isn't helping.

Where should we be finishing? Bottom 4? Cause that's where the majority think we should be finishing. If that is the case, Rutten is performing where he should be.

But, we are so weird as a supporter base, as on one hand we say our list shambles and needs time to improve, but in the same breath believe we should be playing finals. One hand we will say our old gameplan wasn't gonna stand up in finals, but we don't wanna spend time building a plan that will stack up.

Ok, we get it. The club didn't follow the correct process to find the next coach and we are the only club to have done this in the last few years, along with Melbourne, St Kilda, North Melbourne ect. But the constant complaining, when we can't undo it, it just a waste of effort.

I understand the frustration, I feel that at times as well, but the mixed messages coming from the supporters isn't helping.

Where should we be finishing? Bottom 4? Cause that's where the majority think we should be finishing. If that is the case, Rutten is performing where he should be.

But, we are so weird as a supporter base, as on one hand we say our list shambles and needs time to improve, but in the same breath believe we should be playing finals. One hand we will say our old gameplan wasn't gonna stand up in finals, but we don't wanna spend time building a plan that will stack up.

I look at us, and Hawthorne

Probably in about the same position, last week we were about the same, probably go on to win but clarko changed up and outcoached Rutten..

This week we get blown away first quarter and status quo remains all game

Hawthorne get blown away first quarter then clarko changes up and they remain competitive if still losers

At seasons end we probably end up close on the ladder, with similar list but one will look more competitive than the other and it's probably due to more flexibility in the coaches box.

What I'd be looking for is a coach willing to adapt on the run. I understand comparing a rookie coach to the league's best is a bit rich , but if we are grading the bloke on a year when results don't matter it has to be here, in the box, can he change on the run and make us atleast look competitive and not training drill fodder?

Probably in about the same position, last week we were about the same, probably go on to win but clarko changed up and outcoached Rutten..

Hawthorne get blown away first quarter then clarko changes up and they remain competitive if still losers

At seasons end we probably end up close on the ladder, with similar list but one will look more competitive than the other and it's probably due to more flexibility in the coaches box.

What I'd be looking for is a coach willing to adapt on the run. I understand comparing a rookie coach to the league's best is a bit rich , but if we are grading the bloke on a year when results don't matter it has to be here, in the box, can he change on the run and make us atleast look competitive and not training drill fodder?
But, is putting band-aids on things to get beaten by 5 goals, rather than 10, worth it in the long run?

We also signed Shiel, Smith, Saad (gone), Stringer. What on earth were we thinking, who was making this decisions?
In fairness when those decisions were made we still though Joe, Razio, Saad and McKenna would be a big part of next 5-8 years.

But, is putting band-aids on things to get beaten by 5 goals, rather than 10, worth it in the long run?

That's where culture is built I guess, competitive as a non negotiable vs stay the plan and allow thumpings? I don't think adapting to oppositional changes is a band aid, I'd say it's an essential function, perhaps a ventilator

So lets sack a coach because we are too impatient, so we can hire another coach to start our new rebuild?
Enough with the straw man arguments - I said he's on a short leash I didn't say sack him now (there's a big difference between the two). By your argument he's only got to breath and its a pass anyway (anyone on here could coach us to bottom 4).

Oh and none of this is on the supporters either btw. If anything Essendon supporters have been smashed into total apathy. I watched the game with smother 40 year supporter last night who turned his back on the game after the first quarter. He wont be alone there. 15 years ago the pressure on the club for being pathetic would be far greater than it is today.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the game with smother 40 year supporter last night who turned his back on the game after the first quarter.
that would have been incredibly unsettling for the people sitting behind you.

The scary thing about Rutten is that we have no real way of knowing whether he is worth persisting with. That's the problem with the process that led to his appointment. It's all based on Rutten being the brains trust of Richmond 2017 on the say so of the guy we sacked (before the trade and draft period in 2020).

I've been trying to get on board and there are things Rutten has been doing that I like and which I think are a good way building something that should be able to fend off the vultures if the results this year are poor.

But then I hear Leppitsch yesterday say something that was pretty disturbing. He didn't seem to think there was any point Rutten sitting on the bench because Rutten is, something like, "not the sort of bloke to put him arm around the players, be demonstrative with instruction or act like a father figure".

That's the guy in charge of a rebuild? That's only Leppa's opinion, obviously, but if he doesn't stop conducting these press conferences as though he's some guy in the wrong chair what choice is there but to conclude that he's out of his depth? It's a very basic thing. He should be able at least to sell a vision.

Some people really need to relax. We are two games into the season and we rebuilding, this was always going to be a tough year. Don’t pile on the coach when things don’t go to plan. This will take a few years.
The Hawks game showed good signs and then a big disappointment. And Port will probably play in a grand final this year. To be honest, I’m surprised we didn’t get done by more considering the injuries as well.
Im not questioning Truck at this stage, he has put some things in place to improve the culture and he is trying some things onfield. He needs to stick to the plan and not deviate. It’s a tough time with so many injures already and fielding a young inexperienced team.

Let’s enjoy seeing Jones, Cox, Reid, Perkins, Bryan and Eyre get some game time.

Keep an eye on the draft reports this year as well, as I’d say we have pick 1 or 2 coming our way. Possibly both.

But then I hear Leppitsch yesterday say something that was pretty disturbing. He didn't seem to think there was any point Rutten sitting on the bench because Rutten is, something like, "not the sort of bloke to put him arm around the players, be demonstrative with instruction or act like a father figure".
Where did he say this?

I don't mind Rutten but i think he is up against it with the way The Establishment is structured, across many areas. We are systemically legged and although we are trying (in a weird keep the supporters happy kind of way) it's becoming much more apparent imo we are hampered by the clubs internal bubble syndrome.

We suffer greatly from the same thing Carlton and Melbourne took so long to work out, big rich club arrogance and feather nesters covering their asses shifting blame. It's arguable there is still a bit of it at those clubs too, although they have certainly got there lists in much better balanced shape in my opinion, with an added bonus from high end draft pics from ladder position finishes over the years and the AFL throwing medi packs their way.

Rutten simply does not have the cattle for his plan (yet) and is also exacerbated by the fact that there is no depth in the magoos which is a follow on effect from Dodoro's whacky scientist BS and Worsfolds blatant phoning it in style after we had drafted for his players coach themselves genius plan.

People like to say Worsfold was what we needed but i 100% disagree, he set us back god knows how many years, again by The Establishments bizarre process. Fagan was the guy we needed, a motivated fathery figure complete with AFL insider contacts and the Establishment brassed him with a dazzel Worsfold campaign. 🤷‍♂️

The key word in our troubles is "Leadership" on and off the field. We have shocking off the pulse leadership and we'll most likely mince more draft picks and coaches like Rutten until some of the morons in power at the club are gone.

I'm resigned to the fact I'll support the club no matter what and ride the journey but I'll be stuffed if I'll follow them blindly without critique and things like buying my daughter a membership will just have to fall away as she's just not interested anymore and probably borders on being embarrassed with years and years of fail...

Good luck Ben Rutten, you're going to need it. I just hope he has the goods to coach the players and the rigid administration he's signed up with to success.

We arent in the same positon. They are 31 games more experienced per player than us and 18 months older pp. They are in a similar experience/age bracket to Brisbane/Port Adelaide.

Hird changed things up all the time, but at no point under him did we look capable of playing the cohesive football that wins premierships. Not to forget we don't have the players to even consider switching things up, except Hooker and even then the players in defence improved immensely from last week to this one.

Is this even a rebuild?

They're calling it a 'development period' but it's essentially the same thing. They admitted we were no chance at a flag in the next few years by drafting a bunch of KPPs who will take 4-5 years to hit their straps.

The issue with Knights vs. Hardwick is not that Knights was a sh*t coach, it's that if we took Dimma instead of Knights there is no way that the club would have had the patience to endure a "5 year plan" and emerge out the other side with a premiership. We didn't have the patience to even give Knights 3 years and the sentiment at Richmond in 2015 and 2016 was not dissimilar to how Essendon felt in 2010 when we rolled him for Hird. And we all know how going full BIG CLUB ENERGY turned out.

And segments of the fanbase seem to have learned nothing and are whinging about the coaching 1 year into a rebuild. Hopefully the club knows better than big footy nuffies but given the apparent influence of the coteries on club affairs I'm not convinced.

Hawthorn has an ingrained game plan, an experienced group of coaches off the field and a large number of experienced leaders on it who are capable of implementing mid-game strategy changes.

We have developing leaders, a style of play we are still learning, a group of coaches who have not spent years working together, and a large number of young, inexperienced players in pretty much every part of the ground.

Even if Rutten knew what needed to be done to counter whatever Hawthorn were doing, you still need leaders who also understand and players who can implement it. Which I feel is a big ask at the stage we're at.

Could be that he's trying to work on that aspect of his coaching by sitting in with the players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back