Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' - out vs GEEL (calf)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has no tank. That piece of play in the last when Markof went on a run and Dermott was about to Felate him Zurhaar was even with him at the start, he ended up 70 metres behind him

has no tank at all

Has no tank. That piece of play in the last when Markof went on a run and Dermott was about to Felate him Zurhaar was even with him at the start, he ended up 70 metres behind him

has no tank at all

To be fair we don’t really have anyone on the list that could’ve kept up with Markov

To be fair we don’t really have anyone on the list that could’ve kept up with Markov

The part that we can rectify is where we don't just hand it over to them.

I really hope we see more of him down back. It's been hard to remember due to his low possession count these last 18 months, but he is an excellent field kick. He also has a bit of pace, a ton of courage and good aerial ability. He'll make a ton of defensive mistakes presumably, but 2021 is all about growing pains so if we unearth a 10 year half-back then it'll be a huge win.

Dom Tyson started the game as the 7th defender, but was moved to half-forward with Walker going back (I think Polec played down there a bit too in the second half). So there should be a spot open on that line if Walker goes forward (or to the VFL for Xerri) and Tyson replaces Mahony's role (unless they feel Phillips is ready or they'd prefer Hall).

It may be too early in the season to start experimenting too crazily, but I'd also be open to him switching ends with Atley.

He looked good in the middle too, but doesn't have the tank to play there just yet. If they persist with him up forward then they need to give him a few bursts in the middle each game just to get him involved.

Last edited:
I'd consider playing him as sub this week, chuck him on the ball and see if he can make an impact

Club needs you to lift Cam, quickly

I really hope we see more of him down back. It's been hard to remember due to his low possession count these last 18 months, but he is an excellent field kick. He also has a bit of pace, a ton of courage and good aerial ability. He'll make a ton of defensive mistakes presumably, but 2021 is all about growing pains so if we unearth a 10 year half-back then it'll be a huge win.

Dom Tyson started the game as the 7th defender, but was moved to half-forward with Walker going back. So there should be a spot open on that line if Walker goes forward (or to the VFL for Xerri) and Tyson replaces Mahony's role (unless they feel Phillips is ready or they'd prefer Hall).

It may be too early in the season to start experimenting too crazily, but I'd also be open to him switching ends with Atley.

He looked good in the middle too, but doesn't have the tank to play there just yet. If they persist with him up forward then they need to give him a few bursts in the middle each game just to get him involved.
I really like him at half back too, with McDonald coming back and Ziebell/Young/Bonar all finally look like theyve found a niche back there, what’s your ideal back six?

I could be wrong but I think it’s the main reason we got him as a rookie pick. His fitness was a loooonnngg way back on others in his draft. Believe it or not his fitness has improved heaps since then. If he has it in him to work hard enough to build his fitness base to an elite level then he’ll be a genuine star imo.
The problem with Cam is much more than his fitness ....It’s mainly all above his shoulders .
I think he genuinely believes that he is a star player already & He has made it .
Cam needs a good hard look at himself, reality & stop listening to the muppets in the media hyping his 1-2 game hard bump & tackle performance from a few Years ago . (Mind you there has not been many other highlights to talk about our club recently) .
Cam has been so lucky that through injuries , team depth or just hope With our selection committee that he’s still there .
Cam needs a good stint in the magoos & a freaken good hard look at himself.

The problem with Cam is much more than his fitness ....It’s mainly all above his shoulders .
I think he genuinely believes that he is a star player already & He has made it .
Cam needs a good hard look at himself, reality & stop listening to the muppets in the media hyping his 1-2 game hard bump & tackle performance from a few Years ago . (Mind you there has not been many other highlights to talk about our club recently) .
Cam has been so lucky that through injuries , team depth or just hope With our selection committee that he’s still there .
Cam needs a good stint in the magoos & a freaken good hard look at himself.

He’s also kicked bags up forward a few times and looked unstoppable. He’s miles off being a star though, he’s out of form and getting games on potential. If he thinks he’s a star he’s kidding himself and does need a reality check, but how would we know? He’s obviously a bit of a different cat with the boots, but to me he comes across as a bit of a goof, and I mean that in a good way. I think he’s just out of form up forward. Larkey too. Though Larkey was a bit better last night, got his hands to the ball at least but just dropped a few easy marks.

They’re all a bit frustrating at the moment and look miles off. We’re always s**t in Queensland so hopefully we see some improvement under the roof on Friday.

Dom Tyson started the game as the 7th defender, but was moved to half-forward with Walker going back (I think Polec played down there a bit too in the second half). So there should be a spot open on that line if Walker goes forward (or to the VFL for Xerri) and Tyson replaces Mahony's role (unless they feel Phillips is ready or they'd prefer Hall).

Wouldn’t mind seeing him switched with Atley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd consider playing him as sub this week, chuck him on the ball and see if he can make an impact

Club needs you to lift Cam, quickly

Unless there is an injury he won’t play.

I don’t want Atley anywhere near Arden st

What other options do we have at the moment? The depth isn’t there. Dom Tyson is playing down back ffs. Hopefully we get some senior players like the reigning BnF winner McDonald back soon. Cunners would be handy too. Till then I’m not sure we have the depth to be dropping players without a reshuffle. Phillips, Walker and Garner might be close but none of them play defence.

What other options do we have at the moment? The depth isn’t there. Dom Tyson is playing down back ffs. Hopefully we get some senior players like the reigning BnF winner McDonald back soon. Cunners would be handy too. Till then I’m not sure we have the depth to be dropping players without a reshuffle. Phillips, Walker and Garner might be close but none of them play defence.
I’d rather a first or second year player such as Atu or Patrick Walker making the mistakes & turnovers Deer in the headlights Atley has produced for 216 games . At least with the hope that this youth will eventually learn from it . Atley is beyond learning anything . In fact he’s not even VFL level . He plays like a first or second gamer .
FFS young Powell has more poise , confidence & makes better decisions under pressure than deer in the headlights in just his 2nd game !

I’d rather a first or second year player such as Atu or Patrick Walker making the mistakes & turnovers Deer in the headlights Atley has produced for 216 games . At least with the hope that this youth will eventually learn from it . Atley is beyond learning anything . In fact he’s not even VFL level . He plays like a first or second gamer .
FFS young Powell has more poise , confidence & makes better decisions under pressure than deer in the headlights in just his 2nd game !

I’m annoyed at Atley too but he’d dominate in the VFL.

I’m annoyed at Atley too but he’d dominate in the VFL.
How About we just do that ?
How about we drop him to the VFL and finally set / show the standard of expectations to our youth & members .
if you don’t have confidence, can’t hit a target , you are indecisive or have no idea ?
You don’t play ....
Players like Deer in the headlights Atley after 216 games should ...
1) LEAD
2) FOLLOW
3) Or Get out of the fu#king way

The new game plan exposes Atleys flaws but he's working very hard and could be good further up the ground. He's actually in career best form statistically.

Not sure we can drop a senior body either - I'd push him forward and Zurhaar back. Zurhaar in much worse form than Ats, try and tune both to this new game plan.

Get Cam in the action and limit Astley's clanger damage but maximise his possession and work rate which is career best.

1616910116332.png Ats.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back