Autopsy GC Suns V Roos - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

As koshari mentioned, Turner was responsible for most of our scoring last night, including when he beat three players in the forward line to set up our first goal. If people question why he is in the leadership group maybe ask yourselves why the only players who made stuff happen for us last night were the ones who showed some real fight.

Get better players with that sort of commitment and fine, he's out of the side, but its no good being silky as fu** if you don't have the heart to get the ball.

Yep meaning he's one dimensional. Terrible skills but big heart.

We reminded me of Fitzroy in the mid 90’s in the first half, it was that hard to watch. Improvement in the second half, particularly the 3rd, but still really poor.

Positives: (yep I found some)
- Bonar has been really solid early in the season. He reminds me of a quicker Josh Gibson, particularly when spoiling. I think he has found his home and we have been crying out for someone to play that role for quite some time.

- I thought Powell backed up his first week really well. Has great composure and looks elite by hand. If he is notching up 20 disposal games playing half a game in the midfield, his numbers will be off the chart down the track.

- Biggest highlight for me was Lazzaro. His burst speed is exceptional and seems to have no trouble getting into the play. He always seemed to be in around the play for the most part. Quick, hard and clean which is what we need more of.

- Both Simpkin and LDU didn’t have their best games, but they still got their hands on the ball which is a positive. A poor game from LDU last season would have got him 12-14 disposals and a poor game from Simpkin would have been 16-18. The improvement is there, but our expectation is higher. It looked at times they were trying to do a bit too much when they got the ball. LDU spinning or Simpkin side stepping, it becomes predictable when you always revert to it.

- I thought Turner was very good tonight. He got involved in the game more than usual and got involved in scoring shots more than usual. Anyone criticising his game should go have a look at the replay. He seemed to play higher up the ground also.

- I think we would have lost by double the amount if Anderson wasn’t playing. With barely a preseason he seems to just get better and better. Kicking isn’t his strength, but everything else he brings is very good.

- I liked Young’s game he did some good things and some poor errors at times. Hopefully the errors reduce with more games.

- Thomas had a good second half. He seems to be running games out better than previous years. Pleased with his start to the season.

- Scott is building nicely and always seems to hit the scoreboard.

- I think our defensive unit of McKay, Corr and Bonar has been very good. With the amount of inside 50’s coming in (a lot from turnovers), they have done incredibly well to keep both loses to 50 odd points.

Negatives:
Too many to mention but I have to mention some of the efforts and basic skill errors from some of our senior players. Tyson, Atley and Polec should be embarrassed with what they dished up.
Polec seriously was a passenger, no intensity and just didn’t care. I have been a supporter of his, but I can’t support that trash.
Some of Atley’s kicking my god. Kicking a 10 mtr pass across goal and it dribbles along the ground leading to Suns goal.
And Tyson well he sums up the depth of our list and how far we still have to go.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How good was Laz’s last quarter efforts? Sucking in the air, guy running, was really bloody good to see such determination in a young bloke. When 200 gamers/10 year players are throwing in the towel and this kid is putting his best foot forward. Its telling.

I think these older blokes coasting need to be dropped, polec, tyson and atley.. I would be sending the message their attitude is simply not good enough and poor leadership is not what the young group needs.

We need to move Ziebell forward. Corr, Walker, McKay, Young, Bonar and LMac have the defense covered.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Agreed, I dont think our 3rd quarter was coincidental when JZ went off and we started to work better in defence. He either plays forward or not at all.. perhaps he can wear the vest and captain his last year? I dunno, the experiment is over in my opinion. I like what Lachie Young brings, Bonar has shown heaps, Corr was very good last night, McKay is doing a fantastic job, Lmac can lead the defence. Walker can stand in for Taz or perhaps Garner could play there. Walker is done IMO. Depth only. I’d rather kept Maj than him

A lot of the skill errors come from workrate. If your teammates don’t work hard enough to create space and separation, then you are constantly trying to hit 50/50 kicks.

Yes there are some blatant skill errors, but a lot of our errors are a product of not having an option up the field or players not working hard enough to make the kick easier to hit.

The skills will improve simply by the team lifting its work rate.

Teams with better work rate also have better spread when they have the ball and always seem to have 2 extra players at the contest even without the ball.

Last night, our guy on a loose ball was immediately under the pump going backwards and one skill error broke our back with the territory battle and the depth and quality of F50 entries.

Sure a Cunnington or a Powell might get us the release we need in that scenario. But it is no use having them if the next bozo in the chain stuffs it up.

Conversely both Port and Gold Coast have that extra second or 3 for their release and go coast to coast.

I am seeing signs that Powell, Scott, Lazzaro and for that matter Bonar are showing the required combination or work rate and skill.

For senior guys coming out of contact i.e. Tyson and Atley, you must be kidding me on both counts.

I'd really like to see us stop the coast to coast goals we seem to freely give away.
Other than that there seems to be some real lack of accountability.

Poor skills I can forgive, but the GC player standing by himself 10 meters in the clear at a boundary throw in and then hits up a leading forward is just inexcusable.
Second to the ball all night and by a long way while hard running GC players had a party at our expense.
Seriously at times GC looked like they were conducting training drills.
Getting 6 or 7 players dragged in to the pocket with no one goal side around the square is just undisciplined rubbish.
I get we are just starting a rebuild but come on, we need basic structures and a modicum of discipline.
Coast to coast is an impact of the “stand” rule. Its pathetic garbage.

Teams with better work rate also have better spread when they have the ball and always seem to have 2 extra players at the contest even without the ball.

Last night, our guy on a loose ball was immediately under the pump going backwards and one skill error broke our back with the territory battle and the depth and quality of F50 entries.

Sure a Cunnington or a Powell might get us the release we need in that scenario. But it is no use having them if the next bozo in the chain stuffs it up.

Conversely both Port and Gold Coast have that extra second or 3 for their release and go coast to coast.

I am seeing signs that Powell, Scott, Lazzaro and for that matter Bonar are showing the required combination or work rate and skill.

For senior guys coming out of contact i.e. Tyson and Atley, you must be kidding me on both counts.
A lot of that is cohesion. Knowing your team mate will win or miss the contest. Thats a time/ games played concept.

Agreed, I dont think our 3rd quarter was coincidental when JZ went off and we started to work better in defence. He either plays forward or not at all.. perhaps he can wear the vest and captain his last year? I dunno, the experiment is over in my opinion. I like what Lachie Young brings, Bonar has shown heaps, Corr was very good last night, McKay is doing a fantastic job, Lmac can lead the defence. Walker can stand in for Taz or perhaps Garner could play there. Walker is done IMO. Depth only. I’d rather kept Maj than him
for myself, I thought Ziebell was pretty good, in our bests actually

for myself, I thought Ziebell was pretty good, in our bests actually
Wow! Miles from best IMO. Maybe just inside the top 10. I’d have Laz before him. There is no doubting his courage, mate he’d jump in front of a freight train for NMFC. I personally believes his best attributes are forward of centre. He’s competitive but hasnt got the footy IQ to run a backline. He doesnt fit inside the backline. He blasts the ball away, he has turned it over kicking out inside 50. You cant do that, im sorry. But ya just *in cant

Wow! Miles from best IMO. Maybe just inside the top 10. I’d have Laz before him. There is no doubting his courage, mate he’d jump in front of a freight train for NMFC. I personally believes his best attributes are forward of centre. He’s competitive but hasnt got the footy IQ to run a backline. He doesnt fit inside the backline. He blasts the ball away, he has turned it over kicking out inside 50. You cant do that, im sorry. But ya just fu**in cant
fair enough, opinions differ. I imagine there'll be some changes at selection next week, so let's see who's closer to the pin over Easter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some little 'wins/small highlights' from the game that I've put together:

Nice one GR.

As rough as last night was, highlights like those with corridor kicking and run and carry are miles better than the slow, long down the line garbage we were subjected to last season.

At least we now have a modern, attacking game plan. Execution of it will take time but we’re on our way.

Nobody can guarantee that it'll be a rosey future, with this current group.

You can sticky, all you want.

Look around the league, their youngsters are better.

I like Simpkin, but give me Cerra, Gulden, Campbell, Butters any day.

Sure, by all means. But Cerra has the protection of Fyfe, Mundy. Gulden & Campbell has Kennedy, Parker, Mills. Butters has Wines, Boak and Rockliff.

We are asking LDU and Simpkin to be our numbero unos and they are just not ready. Who are the ball winners covering them? Anderson? Tyson?

It's easier to be confident and ball hunt when you're backed by elite, battled-hardened 8-10+ year midfielders.

Sure, by all means. But Cerra has the protection of Fyfe, Mundy. Gulden & Campbell has Kennedy, Parker, Mills. Butters has Wines, Boak and Rockliff.

We are asking LDU and Simpkin to be our numbero unos and they are just not ready. Who are the ball winners covering them? Anderson? Tyson?

It's easier to be confident and ball hunt when you're backed by elite, battled-hardened 8-10+ year midfielders.

The fact that this needs to be continuously explained around here gives some perspective on how minimal clue some posters have.

Thats why it’s imperative to have cunners and jed on the park. Should of kept Higgins, FFS

I disagree. The elephant was a genius move. It is iconic and enduring.

Everyfooty show runs the footage a few times a year and they have all “Discovered” the identity of the little girl at least 3 or 4 times each.

I agree with the rest though.
Yep for sure, was more that we did it but using todays namby pamby don't touch that or say that or even think that social requirements.

Thats why it’s imperative to have cunners and jed on the park. Should of kept Higgins, FFS
I've been thinking about him and Brown and the potential of different list management decisions being made if Noble had been in place when they were being made.

Is what it is, we have what we have.

The fact that this needs to be continuously explained around here gives some perspective on how minimal clue some posters have.

Would love to be the person who spends all January thinking we're going to play finals or make top 4 all the time.

Honestly the application last night was piss poor and nothing is guaranteed about this direction, but it is far and away the best option.

But geez the reality bus needs to hit a few people. Losing sucks deeply, but christ on a bike, we are very much at the laying foundations stage of proceedings.

Well unless you have a crystal ball, would've been impossible to pick Cunners would cark it and Jed hurts himself.

One of Higgins or Cunners had to go to give LDU and Simpkin flying hours in the middle. It wasn't going to be Cunners.

Would love to be the person who spends all January thinking we're going to play finals or make top 4 all the time.

Honestly the application last night was piss poor and nothing is guaranteed about this direction, but it is far and away the best option.

But geez the reality bus needs to hit a few people. Losing sucks deeply, but christ on a bike, we are very much at the laying foundations stage of proceedings.

Well unless you have a crystal ball, would've been impossible to pick Cunners would cark it and Jed hurts himself.

One of Higgins or Cunners had to go to give LDU and Simpkin flying hours in the middle. It wasn't going to be Cunners.
From my understanding, it was a contract difference? Higgins was allegedly told you are not getting an extension? Therefore the offer of two at the retirement village was too good to refuse?

From my understanding, it was a contract difference? Higgins was allegedly told you are not getting an extension? Therefore the offer of two at the retirement village was too good to refuse?

If Higgins was absolutely essential, he would have gotten two years. But again, say Higgins and Brown stays.

We're what, mid-table again for two years? So we need to replace Ziebell, Higgins, Tarrant, Goldstein, Cunnington and add to the forward line and midfield with maybe two picks 8-11 and then another two 25-30? Nowhere near enough.

I'm not completely justifying cycles or endless rebuilds, but we do not have the draft capital to replace those players. It would be delaying the inevitable and cause way more problems for our list heading forward.

Blow it up and do it right.

I've been thinking about him and Brown and the potential of different list management decisions being made if Noble had been in place when they were being made.

Is what it is, we have what we have.
Im all good with Brown being moved on. His knee is cooked (at the least). Im sweet as pie with his removal. If you asked me if I could swap brown with stephenson, i’d do it in a heart beat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back