Preview Changes V Pies - Rd 3, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodluck getting a crowd to this game now if it stays in Brisbane. No one has any idea what's going on, and the possibility of masks and no advertisement will draw little people from Brisbane and zero people from interstate.

TBH, the Easter games don't typically draw a huge crowd anyway. Easter is a very popular time for people to get away and get out doors. It is more about the time slot than the crowd TBH. We saw much lower crowds last year than what was possible, and i knew quiet a few people that weren't going to the footy at all because of the covid risk.

No doubting the crowd won't be massive, but it rarely is anyway.

TBH, the Easter games don't typically draw a huge crowd anyway. Easter is a very popular time for people to get away and get out doors. It is more about the time slot than the crowd TBH. We saw much lower crowds last year than what was possible, and i knew quiet a few people that weren't going to the footy at all because of the covid risk.

No doubting the crowd won't be massive, but it rarely is anyway.

Collingwood always bring 10 thousand fans to the game. We won't get that, and there certiantly won't be a huge turnout from lions supporters because 1: we're a little out of form and we're a bandwagon state. 2: there is so much confusion over if or when this game will be played. 3: masks will likely be mandated (which will turn some people away). The whole situation is a mess, and this game was supposed to bring in a significant amount of revenue for the club. Hopefully the AFL can fix this in some way or another.

Anyone think its BS that our season is being affected by this? We should be able to pick the state and stadium to play collingwood in (If they won't give us the home game back later in the year)

If the game rounds are swapped that is okay with me.
As long as we don't lose a home ground that crowds are allowed into.

My suggestion if both Qld & Vic governments agree.
Collingwood fly into Coolangatta Wed evening and bus it to Brisbane then back to Coolangatta
Not ideal for the Pies but i am sure they don't travel much the rest of the year

Collingwood always bring 10 thousand fans to the game. We won't get that, and there certiantly won't be a huge turnout from lions supporters because 1: we're a little out of form and we're a bandwagon state. 2: there is so much confusion over if or when this game will be played. 3: masks will likely be mandated (which will turn some people away). The whole situation is a mess, and this game was supposed to bring in a significant amount of revenue for the club. Hopefully the AFL can fix this in some way or another.

No we're not. Irritates the * outta me when I hear this bs. No doubt makes non Lions supporters feel better to keep telling themselves this crap.

No we're not. Irritates the fu** outta me when I hear this bs. No doubt makes non Lions supporters feel better to keep telling themselves this crap.
lol yes we are.

If a team in any sport is playing well, fans will flock to watch.

If a team is playing poorly, attendances drop to just the hard core.

It’s been like that ever since I’ve been watching live sport, from the late 80’s.

lol yes we are.

It’s been like that ever since I’ve been watching live sport, from the late 80’s.
So every team has bandwagoners then?

lol yes we are.

That would apply to every team in every state. You going to accuse all the other teams supporters of being bandwagoners??

That would apply to every team in every state. You going to accuse all the other teams supporters of being bandwagoners??

QLD is the most notorious bandwagon state. I say this as a Queenslander myself. The Queensland reds drew massive crowds when they were winning, now they don't. The same for the A league or any team whatsoever. Look at our membership and crowd numbers. There was a dramatic uptick once we started performing well. Even our TV ratings rose when we were performing well too. Of course every state and club have bandwagoners too (richmond being the best example), but the difference is Queensland isn't an AFL state. Clubs in Melbourne can survive without bandwagoners. We can't.

Regardless of where the game is played or where the team is, there is already a disconnect with training and possibly recovery. If the game is to be in Bris the earliest we will be traveling back is Monday. If the game is moved to Melb the earliest we can fly replacement players down will be Monday as well. Either way it's a 2 or 3 day loss in a 6 day turnaround. The longer it takes for the afl to make a decision the more it will affect us.

Regardless of where the game is played or where the team is, there is already a disconnect with training and possibly recovery. If the game is to be in Bris the earliest we will be traveling back is Monday. If the game is moved to Melb the earliest we can fly replacement players down will be Monday as well. Either way it's a 2 or 3 day loss in a 6 day turnaround. The longer it takes for the afl to make a decision the more it will affect us.

It's bullshit. Collingwood will be getting a home game while having significantly more time to prepare for it. We're 0-2 (should be 1-1) and our season will likely be over if we lose this unfair game. I wish Fagan would tell gill to GTFO and ask for the game to be paused until a later date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's bullshit. Collingwood will be getting a home game while having significantly more time to prepare for it. We're 0-2 (should be 1-1) and our season will likely be over if we lose this unfair game. I wish Fagan would tell gill to GTFO and ask for the game to be paused until a later date.
Yer, that'll work.

I'd rather we played it at the MCG Thursday night swap the home advantage for rounds 3 and 22 and run, gives us the last 4 games of the H&A season at the Gabba.
From the reports, MCG isn't even an option. I think the idea of swapping the fixture is fair, but there is still the notion of our team coming into the game underdone. A melbourne game (last year) was postponed due to a covid scare, so why can't the same rules apply to this game?

Why are people omitting Lester? 😂

He nullified about 15 passages that could have lead to scoring opourtunites.

Also.. I see its time for the yearly Robinson is done conversation? This will likely be his last year but we need him out there in the mean time.
I guess we'll need to see who's fit first.

Robbo's games have been fair. Don't see how you wouldn't play him before Sharp and Prior at this point.

Lester has been a bit better than Robbo . Just gets shown up on occasions for lack of pace and height. But you know what you get. Don't see his spot being in jeopardy yet.

I'd rather we played it at the MCG Thursday night swap the home advantage for rounds 3 and 22 and run, gives us the last 4 games of the H&A season at the Gabba.

I heard that we can't play the match at the MCG due to the fact Collingwood agreed to play an amount of matches at Docklands, which sucks given it would my peference as well, not just for our club but for the round itself also as the Good Friday match is also staged at Docklands the following day, unless that match is played at the MCG as a result now and we play at Docklands on the Thursday.

"It’s understood the reason the MCG is off the cards for this match is because Collingwood contractually must play a certain amount of games at Marvel Stadium every year"

"Another option that has been discussed at Collingwood is the possibility of playing the game at Metricon Stadium, which is outside Brisbane’s ‘orange zone’. Under that plan, the Pies would look at flying in and flying out on the same day"

QLD is the most notorious bandwagon state. I say this as a Queenslander myself. The Queensland reds drew massive crowds when they were winning, now they don't. The same for the A league or any team whatsoever. Look at our membership and crowd numbers. There was a dramatic uptick once we started performing well. Even our TV ratings rose when we were performing well too. Of course every state and club have bandwagoners too (richmond being the best example), but the difference is Queensland isn't an AFL state. Clubs in Melbourne can survive without bandwagoners. We can't.

Again, crowds going down because of long time poor team performance is not specific to Lions supporters. And we can't survive without bandwagoners?? Mate during The Dark Years we were ******* terrible. Yet we're still going. Your logic is s**t.

Again, crowds going down because of long time poor team performance is not specific to Lions supporters. And we can't survive without bandwagoners?? Mate during The Dark Years we were ******* terrible. Yet we're still going. Your logic is sh*t.
Although we are something like 12 mil in the hole.
But you are right we are still going.
And if we can keep up the top of the ladder for a bit that deficit should be wiped out pretty quick especially with the drop in footy department cap, which will definitely help.

I’m not accusing anyone of being a bandwagoner.

That’s trying to twist what I said.

But it’s much more prevalent up here.

When I started going to the Gabba on a casual basis in 2015 and 2016, we were flat out getting 14,000 to 16,000 to most matches.

First game this year there were 22,000.

If collingwood want to swap the fixture, then I don't see any issue with it. Although, I do worry about going into the game underdone.

One issue is we don’t have access to our gym - recovery team that is based in queensland etc so if we were forced to stay in Melbourne this week - club would have to get all that organised somewhere else etc etc. Whereas in a straight swap Collingwood have not been disadvantaged in their recovery/prep, and just travel up on Wednesday. That’s apart from working out how to get players down from Qld etc if Oscar is unfit etc etc and players mentally not being prepared to be away for a week etc. I would love to get the chance to see a game in Melbourne but we would be hugely disadvantaged... bit like when we had to play Geelong in the prelim 2004...........

They could fly Archie, Ballenden, Ely and Madden down. Get them all tested early and ready to go against Collingwood.

Play Collingwood's game and the one after that against Dogs as well - then head back.

Poor Sharp missing all the school :(;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back