Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 2, 2021

What a cracking game of footy.

Cripps did everything he could to redeem himself with some big marks and tackles, but that set shot is a coach killer.

Liked the fight back. Liked the mids lifting big in the third. It’s a long season and with Shuey and Yeo back into this team it could be a very memorable one. Credit to the Dogs, ripping game.

Fire away.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We lost because of bad umpiring and Jamie Cripps. Good game otherwise.

Big positive for me was Jamaine Jones

Some gimme goals but he was at least in the right positions and pressured well today

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Some players stepped up, good to see. Mids lacked class without Shuey and Yoe.
I thought our defenders were brave but didnt come out on top. Too many soft frees that were not needed. Tough with their boll movement.

Umps allowed chopping of arms and shoulders in the last and this plus Allen being unable to compete overhead because of injury cost us.
Could have won, may not should have

Last edited:

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Once again not good enough to squeak out the close ones. This team tantalises you with glimpses of what they can do, but ends up falling short in the tight contests. Watch this one come back to bite us at the end of the year.

Negatives:

- The midfield stepped up today, but if they dont have the ball in hand they just lack the ability to go and get it.
- Tackling ability is non-existent. I would give my left nut for someone to train these boys to stick a tackle
- Kicking into the man on the mark. How the f*ck are we consistently doing this?
- Ground ball gets. Oh lordy.
- Gaff. NFI what he is being instructed to do but he was invisible today. Not good enough for what we pay him

Positives:

* Jones gets a recall. Did some nice stuff today
* Rotham has a good head on his shoulders
* Barrass clunked everything
* JK wound back the clock
* Kelly looks to have improved on last week's game

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Not even mad tbh

Against probably the best midfield (On paper at least) in the comp we held up pretty well. Would dearly love the fellas to tackle a bit more, but given our outs and on the road it was a great effort.

Some great highlights in there. Forwards were outstanding again and I like the look of JJ.

Now that this man on the mark rule is in, I am noticing that outside runners are almost exclusively copping a hard tag. Gaff is getting a heap of attention particularly

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Great game. Have no issues with effort and please don't mention Cripps as the reason we lost the game with benefit of the hindsight. They missed shots literally after crippa in 4th too. It wasn't his fault. If we play like this week in week out I have no issues whatsoever regardless of the outcome. Both teams showed up had a crack all the way we came up short by a whisker.

Jones a much better inclusion. has a good left foot and space awareness with two assists I think and 3 goals.
Nelson Rotham improved since last season. Barrass appears to have elevated as well which is scary.

Duggan to mid is great. we need these fringe players to close the gap and keep up with our best 12-14 players and we will be really hard to beat.This is what killed us last two seasons and already I see imporvement in 3 of them.

Big disappointment so far in both rounds. Mr Gaff looks to be not switched on whatsoever. Vardy is a waste of a player on the list to support NN, perhaps go with Allen as back up and add another player in. overall gutted we lost but very happy with the way we played. another cracker against Power next week.

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
+ves JJ and Langdon are locks until they massively lose form until Rioli returns.
NicNat what can you say. Masterclass.
Definitely have the belief this year.
-ves
Obviously the result but it was only minor mistakes that cost us.

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Barrass the biggest positive for me, having a superb start to the season. Would have been completely understandable if he was struggling after the loss of his dad but he hasn’t put a foot wrong. Hopefully that’s a testament to the club providing a nurturing environment for him.

JK, Allen and Darling all very good again. Jones showed plenty and looked more threatening than any of our other small forwards this season. Sheed never stopped trying and Nic, Kelly, Redden all lifted after half time. Liked Rotham and Nelson too.

Negatives are pretty obvious. Langdon doesn’t look up to it, Duggan had his worst game in a while and I can’t remember the last time Gaff played consecutive games as bad as that

darksquare

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2016
Edgewater
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Jones very encouraging, but boy do we need Rioli back too.
Barrass superb, Hurn kept us in it in the first half.

Gov well beaten, Gaff still mysteriously unable to find it.
Vardy and Langdon anonymous, but we expected no different.

The umps not paying that Ryan mark still baffles me.
How tf could they possibly even see that it was touched?

We got absolutely torched by the umps and I presume most non-Dogs or Docker fans would agree, but in fairness there was that non called HTB on Gov late in the game that was identical to the one Cripps was “rewarded” for.

Obviously he found a way to miss the goal in the most hilarious fashion, but that was a pretty egregious howler that would have been the story if we’d won.

A genuinely baffling display on the whistle today.

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
That was annoying. Unfortunately as good as our midfield group lifted in the third, we fell in the last. Unfair to put the sole blame on Cripps, we did lose by 7 not 6 🤣, but you can’t be making those basic errors.

Sigh... Lots of positives, loved JJ’s game, added a lot of bite to our forward line, keep him in. The talls did well. Defence held up for most of the game, but unfortunately their greater depth of run came through in the end.

Diabolical umpiring (as expected) and that commentary “display” 🤢

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
How with the ball in our F50 is a dogs player (Lachie Hunter) free 40m down the line for that rushed kick out of congestion?
Shows that our setups weren't being put into place probably due to a lack of composure (Will Ferrell changeroom gif) as our ball use was not like the Dogs' in those final stages.

Still plenty of positives. The effort was there and the Jones inclusion a good one.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't fault the effort for the most part which is a big change from 2019 and 2020. This is all you can ask for against a good side that is up and about at their home deck.

Back