Review Dogs 100 def Eagles 93 - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a look at Bailey Smith's try in the second quarter. Dally M Medal worthy. Magnificent.

Wallis was much better apart from those 3 shots. He's been out most reliable kick for goal over the last few seasons but he got involved and looked more dangerous today. He'll be fine
I agree he probably deserves a bit of slack but it’s not just that he’s down on form it’s more that I’m really not seeing how he offers enough to our forward line with this set up. The ball still pinged out too easy today and I think his position needs to be taken by someone with pace.

Can we poach the eagles forward coach? They’re so good at only sending one up for the grab and the others block. It’s an art form. Our talls spoil each other all the time.
They also have such good awareness of each other's leading patterns and an ability to leave it open on one side of the F50.

Great win in the end, Bailey Williams’ play against 3 Eagles won us that game alone. All the big men stood up in the last. Still a lot of work to do though, Wally had runs on the board last year, but West or Cavarra replace him next week. I’d also drop Scott, had a taste but unbalances the team. McNeil did some good things, but we badly need a crumber. BADLY. Go Dogs

Agree re JJ. He is not out of the team for need or skill it is something else that he has been asked to do that he hasn’t done. The new rules are made for him - one of the top metres gained players in the league and a beautiful kick on the run. His ability to run over teams when they get tired would also suit. But it sounds like a team rules type thing? I wouldn’t have a clue but trying to find a good reason.

Interestingly Dale performing so well - has made it harder to tag Daniel as the set up player. As a running back JJ is a star but how did Scott go defensively? Hard to tell on TV. Was hoping Richards would also play that role and is a bigger and better defender.

I don’t agree with playing too many kids if you don’t need to but Khamis might have done alright tonight - we needed a third man up Mark?

Very interesting to watch that style at the ground.

Great win in the end, we looked done but we are not contending with that backline and set up. Leaves ordinary backline players in far too many one on ones in transition against better players.

Huge contrast in game styles between both sides. Frustrating at times for us. Teams like that will always take us the length of the field and score. We wore them down in the end with some huge efforts in the middle. Great win.

They also have such good awareness of each other's leading patterns and an ability to leave it open on one side of the F50.
Yep they’re fantastic to watch live that forward line. We need time but we can get there. Those blokes have been doing it together week in week out for years.

great effort to keep them relatively quiet considering how bloody straight they kick. Not sure Gardner could have done too much more today he was alright. We definitely need a Wood/Croz or even Khamis in thrre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would have been flogged mercilessly had we lost by a goal. He looks down on confidence. I'm backing him in to return to 2020 form.

He'll want to return to form soon. We've got MacNeil, Wallis, Cavarra and West fighting over 2 spots. I would be surprised if West wasn't the best of the 4 players by the break. Wallis will need to do better than that to hold out the other 2.

So happy for Josh Bruce. His form last year would not have been good for his mental health. He’s worked his ass off this offseason and it’s paying off for him.

Also nearly cost the game when he flew third or forth man up and left 2 eagles out the back un manned resulting in a lead change with a couple mins to go

That was his man going for the ball. What did you expect him to do? Watch? He wouldn’t have seen the other players coming on from the side as he was watching the footy

Watch the replay and tell me any backman on the league let’s his man run to the ball in that contest alone

Bailey Williams has gone to a next level this season. I always had faith in him and slowly his got to the level I thought he was capable of.

Surely this is the best Bulldogs midfield I've seen. Better than 08-10 in my opinion.

Defence needs reinforcing. I'd like to see Wood and/or Cordy in, unfortunately Crozier is still a while away. Hopefully no slips ups next week and a comfortable win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back