Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Love to agree but as you can see on the whole topic we are in love with mediocrity. But for a bit of class and a marking forward we were in it to win it today. Bloody disappointing unless we are the long term level of the saints and demons, standard is our true test.
The idea that being pleased with the effort of a side as inexperienced as ours up against the benchmark of the comp is accepting mediocrity is odd.

I think it’s actually more just rationale, for where we are at.

We knew a long time before the season started that we’d be looking for little nuggets within games that showed we were on the right path, and today against the flag favorite we held sway for large sections of the game.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
Can call him a lot of things, but pea heart hardly one of them. Gets himself to contests, just can't mark a football to save his life. Got cleaned up at least once putting his head over the ball.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Yep - he was also manhandled 3 times in the first quarter so he was a little stiff not to get some umpire support.

I’m not upset, Richmond have had it on us for quite some time, Richmond are the benchmark of the competition. Richmond had two very useful purple patches today that ultimately delivered them the win but I think for most of the match we managed to break even with them. Much promise.

Edit: CJ giving Dusty a successful ‘don’t argue’ is almost as good as a win. ;)

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but noticed Mitchell played a bit on the wing and even half back for a bit, I know he had lots of touches but early got smashed in the middle, is this Clarko sending a message? Personally would have liked to see Howe in more centre stoppages for bash and crash. If we halved more of those contests we might have got closer particularly early. Effort definitely there from all and CJ great

I noticed the same with Worpel across half back at times. Does anyone have the cba for today's game it would be very interesting?
A few things..
- I personally think Clakro persisted with Silk in the guts way to long 3 quarters.
-Bruest & Moore barely got a run. Bruest started the 4th in the square.
- All preseason we went with high numbers and rotations thru the middle it didn't happen today.
- Worpel is out of position get Jom on a wing in a more outside role please.

Rev08

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2008
Sunny coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
Surprised by the thoughts on Ceglar. 16d, 7m, 4 score involvements (equal 2nd for us), 7 one percenters (also 2nd for us). Thought he competed well around the ground and provided a target. Far from our worst.

Reckon Hanrahan’s days are numbered. There is a lot to like about him, but a small forward must be an opportunist and Hanrahan misses too many gettable chances for mine.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Just got a text from CJ - he wants to know when last a player won Club Best Improved & a Brownlow in the same season?
Tell Him it was Dustin Martin ;)

Good game today guys the Hawks showed fight and willingness to work and run which is a great sign.

TOB really needs to be moved on and another kid given a chance, Think the Hawks have seen enough of him and its not that great

Cheers guys see you later in the year

I noticed the same with worpel across half back at times. Does anyone have the cba for today's game it would be very interesting?
A few things..
- I personally think Clakro persisted with Silk in the guts way to long 3 quarters.
-Bruest & Moore barely got a run. Bruest started the 4th in the square.
- All preseason we went with high numbers and rotations thru the middle it didn't happen today.
- Worpel is out of position get Jom on a wing in a more outside role please.
Worpel got smashed in the middle the times he went in there. His opponent and the tigers ended up with scoring opportunities. He is learning to be more defensive. We r not essendon and we generally do not like one way runners.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What would our midfield coach give for a shai bolton?

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Surprised by the thoughts on Ceglar. 16d, 7m, 4 score involvements (equal 2nd for us), 7 one percenters (also 2nd for us). Thought he competed well around the ground and provided a target. Far from our worst.

Reckon Hanrahan’s days are numbered. There is a lot to like about him, but a small forward must be an opportunist and Hanrahan misses too many gettable chances for mine.
Agree with that except you forgot 2 say ceglar is a terrible ruckman. Which is also his job.

He was good around the ground 2day. Best game in a while on that front but he may well b the only ruckman in rucking history who hits the opposition on the chest twice as often as his team mates. Tbh that would be a great stat.

At one center bounce today he actually jumped so early he landed b4 the ball had even come down. Pretty sure Richmond scored too. Walked the ball out of the middle.

Should be a lot of good footage for the boys to review tomorrow. Kept attacking, kept making mistakes, but at least there's something to look at and work out how to improve on for next time. Not a lot they could have done with last years footage of chipping it around the half back line until someone turned it over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Worpel got smashed in the middle the times he went in there. His opponent and the tigers ended up with scoring opportunities. He is learning to be more defensive. We r not essendon and we generally do not like one way runners.
I reckon worpel has been figured out by rival clubs since 2019 far more than Mitchell being the issue. if you let worpel have a free run at the drop of ball he’s looks great, but he can be worked out of the contest (as isn’t huge or quick) and gets stuck ball watching too often giving lots of opportunities to play through his man.

But all our mids have issues at present - Mitchell rack them up for limited impact, JOM had limited impact and seemed to jog around, shiels is well down on his best and may be in decline, Howe cracked in but is a poor decision maker, Phillips just burnt it all game, while Morrison was solid. And two rucks isn’t working at all.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
I see no reason for the doom and gloom.
We just need Gunston and Wingard to straighten up our frwd line, this is where we lack leadership and experience. Can't just rely on breust . CJ,. Hardwick, frost , day and Morrison really good imo and Howe was definitely one of our best.
We probably beat most sides with our endeavour and hunger today so I'm really looking frwd to see how we go against those flogs next Monday!! Unlike this week, I reckon it's a winnable game.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
What would our midfield coach give for a shai bolton?
How dare you suggest we get a fast player to play midfield. We tried that with Crawford early 90s and waited 17 years for a premiership until we could find slow players 2 push him on the bench and get back on track. Slow midfielders has always been the hawthorn way sure they used to be solid and tall and eat their opponents but they were generally slow. With whippet like wings to cover for them.

We've also preferred very average ruckman combining rehn and salmon years with a whippet midget midfielder in Crawford almost killed our club.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
I see no reason for the doom and gloom.
We just need Gunston and Wingard to straighten up our frwd line, this is where we lack leadership and experience. Can't just rely on breust . CJ,. Hardwick, frost , day and Morrison really good imo and Howe was definitely one of our best.
We probably beat most sides with our endeavour and hunger today so I'm really looking frwd to see how we go against those flogs next Monday!! Unlike this week, I reckon it's a winnable game.
I know our forwards need to mark the ball more, but in fairness to them, our fwd delivery still needs a lot of work... Frustrating watching the highballs to TOB, and then next hit up seeing Riewoldt taking it lace out in front of Frost...

Dec 17, 2008
Sir Kenneth Luke Stand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Mayblooms
I'm not sure if many have forgotten ... but up until a month before the first game, we were planning on having a forward line with Patton as its focal point. With no other proven FF or CHF in our squad, it was always going to be trial & error as to what our F50 would look like and much like last year, it's going to be very tough for us to score winning scores. As of now, our talls aren't good enough to be key position forwards (TOB & Kosi would probably be better suited as 3rd talls) and aside from Breust, our smalls are also questionable. Whilst Brockman is having a crack, he's just a baby and will learn how to apply pressure as he matures, Hanrahan might make repeat efforts but they have very little effect and Moore floats in and out of games but is largely unnoticeable. Stability is the key and we just won't have it for a while. Last year showed it & today reinforced it.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I know our forwards need to mark the ball more, but in fairness to them, our fwd delivery still needs a lot of work... Frustrating watching the highballs to TOB, and then next hit up seeing Riewoldt taking it lace out in front of Frost...
getting blocked chopped and pushed in the back while waiting for it to land on your head in a pack isnt helping anyone except Richmond

Last edited:

Breustiful

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Preston Makedonia, West Brom
Just a note on the crowd. Thought it was pretty disappointing to get just north of 40k, after a year off, perfect afternoon and against a local tenant and reigning premiers at that. Club would have been pretty let down by that I imagine.
I agree, was shocked when I saw the 41,000 plastered on the screen. Thought it would've been over 50, at the very least. The car park seemed its usual chockers footy arvo match..

Been 616 days since the Hawks last ran out on the G, could've had a fair few more Hawkers. I guess Covid is still keeping people at home, which is fair enough.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Just a note on the crowd. Thought it was pretty disappointing to get just north of 40k, after a year off, perfect afternoon and against a local tenant and reigning premiers at that. Club would have been pretty let down by that I imagine.

Yes. That was a real letdown.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was very poor defensively today. Just can’t seem to shake the instinct to go towards the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back