Review Dogs 100 def Eagles 93 - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Went today. Great win. But...we have some issues to sort out.

Wallis's game is pretty sad at the moment. Even if he is VC he should be immediately dropped which means he probably should relinquish being VC to someone who can cope with the mantle.

Bruce, lot's of love for him in this thread but we are ignoring that he not only can't take a contested mark, particularly of the overhead variety but he is out marked far too often.

Naughton / Bruce KPF combo: I know they kicked 3 each but I had no sense they were a twin tower aerial threat. They got in each other's way or they got out of the way both of them trying to avoid each other. It is a worry.

Scott and McNeil, it is silly that either of them let alone both of them got a second game or even the first ahead of players such as JJ or West. Puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team to carry them.

Our share-it-around basketball style builds up each players stats, but once you get past this fact you realise that Hunter and Lipinski had pretty crap games and need to become relevant real soon.

Accuracy accuracy accuracy, but at least we kicked them when it mattered most...

First Half Goal Accuracy
WB: 38%
WC: 75%

Second Half Goal Accuracy
WB: 57%
WC: 50%

West Coast showed just how important nailing set shots are (not that we needed reminding), they kicked 9.3 from set shots compared to 8.6 from us.

With the game on the line and as our two best players Macrae and Bontempelli needed to lift in the last and boy did they rise. Bontempelli seems to kick them when it matters.

I still believe Macrae doesn't get the credit he deserves, it's always "lots of handballs but no impact" today in Q4 he had...

12 disposals at 83%
7 contested
6 first possessions
6 clearances
5 score involvements

For the match he was leading our disposals, contested, uncontested, clearances, inside 50s, score involvements. Pretty impactful game.

For those complaining about Ray, he gave 10 free kicks to West Coast and 4 to us.

No as always here are some stats that aren't generally published...

Expected Score
WB: 99
WC: 85

Centre Bounce Attendance
27 - Macrae
25 - Bontempelli, Martin
21 - Liberatore
14 - Dunkley
9 - Treloar
7 - English

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
63 - Martin (12/3)
28 - English (9/4)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 7
WC: 17

First Possessions
WB: 40
WC: 43

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 41/31
WC: 36/27

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 68%
WC: 52%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
WC: 8

Score Launches
6 - Macrae
5 - Liberatore
3 - Dale, Dunkley, Treloar
2 - English, Williams
1 - Bontempelli, Duryea, McNeil, Smith, Wallis

Shots At Goal
WB: 30 (47%)

WC: 24 (58%)

Targets Inside 50
12 - Naughton
8 - Vandermeer
6 - Bruce, English, Wallis
2 - Hunter
1 - Bontempelli, Dunkley, Martin, McNeil

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 14
WC: 9

No Pressure Errors
WB: 8
WC: 5

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Daniel
1 - Dale, Liberatore, Lipinski, Macrae, Williams

Pressure Gauge
WB: 171 (Below Average)
WC: 180 (Average)

Last edited:
Went today. Great win. But...we have some issues to sort out.

Wallis's game is pretty sad at the moment. Even if he is VC he should be immediately dropped which means he probably should relinquish being VC to someone who can cope with the mantle.

Bruce, lot's of love for him in this thread but we are ignoring that he not only can't take a contested mark, particularly of the overhead variety but he is out marked far too often.

Naughton / Bruce KPF combo: I know they kicked 3 each but I had no sense they were a twin tower aerial threat. They got in each other's way or they got out of the way both of them trying to avoid each other. It is a worry.

Scott and McNeil, it is silly that either of them let alone both of them got a second game or even the first ahead of players such as JJ or West. Puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team to carry them.

Our share-it-around basketball style builds up each players stats, but once you get past this fact you realise that Hunter and Lipinski had pretty crap games and need to become relevant real soon.

Oh no, don't raise issues. We win, so there are no issues. 😄

Well, I’m still hoarse from that last quarter. Great to be back at the footy, what a game it was.

Even from level 3 NicNat looked enormous. The way he prowls the centre pre-bounce would have me shitting myself if I was the opposing ruck, and he had his way with us for the majority of the game. Without him and Kennedy kicking set shots from the fifth row it would’ve been a ten goal thumping, they are so good.

Thankfully we have our own superstar, and he played a game for the ages today. Mesmerising, all over the ground and getting to be more clinical kicking for goal.

There were a few negatives that most bulldogs watchers would flag - KPD issues, wasted goal opportunities, forward entries etc - but it feels churlish to focus on them right now. Maybe tomorrow when the glow of victory and being at the ground wears off.

Plenty here with a short memory. I know Wallis has played two ordinary games but he was the one player we could count on from set shots last year. And was easily the leading goalkicker for the club.

In true BF fashion just two successive games where he has missed shots means he must be dumped to be replaced by a hopeful from the seconds.

Have we forgotten that in 2018 he kicked 20.3, in 2020 he kicked 25.18 and his career record is 101.56. If there's one bloke on the list I'd want taking a set shot from 35m out to win the game on the final siren it'd be Wally.

Yes he needs to improve on his recent form but I'd have thought he still had quite a few credits in the bank.
I'd like to see Cavarra given another chance but surely Lipinski, Scott or McNeil are first in line to make way, not Wallis.
I am definitely one of those with a short memory. What are we talking about again?

Ah, so a win negates any criticism? I see.
I’m really just unsure what you’re trying to imply you want bevo to do. Come up with some wild revolutionary plan to negate Nic Nat? If he managed that, quickly copywrite it because 16 other teams will want the blue print.

you mentioned Kelly on the outside getting a few, yeah he sure did. But so did Bont and who was more damaging?

We’ve just got to limit the bleed in there with a guy like Nic. He’s a freak. It happens, freaks have unstoppable games.

So trying to put a dominant ruckman off his game has no merit? Yet many "wacky" tactics are often praised as great moves. Seems like a win means no criticism allowed, oh well.

I'm not saying that it has no merit. You said some very strong words about Luke Beveridge for not trying some alternative tactics but the only one you could come up with was pretty outlandish and, let's be honest, would have * all chance of working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I stupid? I look at Josh Bruce and I think he is such a spud, then he goes out and plays a pretty solid game this afternoon. What's the consensus within the doggies supporter base? Is he rated, or is he just a solid option while you wait for JUH / Josh Schache (I mean, maybe?!) to develop?

EDIT: Also; great win this arvo. What a classic. Both teams for mine are within the top 6, especially with the Saints showing me that their brand does not hold up against good sides.

Am I stupid? I look at Josh Bruce and I think he is such a spud, then he goes out and plays a pretty solid game this afternoon. What's the consensus within the doggies supporter base? Is he rated, or is he just a solid option while you wait for JUH / Josh Schache (I mean, maybe?!) to develop?

He was overweight and looked slow last year. Now he's got his fitness back. And he kicked straight today.

As long as he continues a 2goal a game ratio he will be selected. I think all of JUH, Naughton and Bruce can fit into the same forward line. Naughton and JUH can play multiple positions.

EDIT: Also; great win this arvo. What a classic. Both teams for mine are within the top 6, especially with the Saints showing me that their brand does not hold up against good sides.
I think we’re hoping for consistent st kilda type form. He’s been poor so far but good tonight.

He's good enough to play a role. Naughton can't be the only big body down there. When he's not marking he is at least crashing packs and providing physical presence. We dont need him to kick bags.

Accuracy accuracy accuracy, but at least we kicked them when it mattered most...

First Half Goal Accuracy
WB: 38%
WC: 75%

Second Half Goal Accuracy
WB: 57%
WC: 50%

West Coast showed just how important nailing set shots are (not that we needed reminding), they kicked 9.3 from set shots compared to 8.6 from us.

With the game on the line and as our two best players Macrae and Bontempelli needed to lift in the last and boy did they rise. Bontempelli seems to kick them when it matters.

I still believe Macrae doesn't get the credit he deserves, it's always "lots of handballs but no impact" today in Q4 he had...

12 disposals at 83%
7 contested
6 first possessions
6 clearances
5 score involvements

For the match he was leading our disposals, contested, uncontested, clearances, inside 50s, score involvements. Pretty impactful game.

For those complaining about Ray, he gave 10 free kicks to West Coast and 4 to us.

No as always here are some stats that aren't generally published...

Expected Score
WB: 99
WC: 85

Centre Bounce Attendance
27 - Macrae
25 - Bontempelli, Martin
21 - Liberatore
14 - Dunkley
9 - Treloar
7 - English

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
63 - Martin (12/3)
28 - English (9/4)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 7
WC: 17

First Possessions
WB: 40
WC: 43

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 41/31
WC: 36/27

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 68%
WC: 52%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
WC: 8

Score Launches
6 - Macrae
5 - Liberatore
3 - Dale, Dunkley, Treloar
2 - English, Williams
1 - Bontempelli, Duryea, McNeil, Smith, Wallis

Shots At Goal
WB: 30 (47%)

WC: 24 (58%)

Targets Inside 50
12 - Naughton
8 - Vandermeer
6 - Bruce, English, Wallis
2 - Hunter
1 - Bontempelli, Dunkley, Martin, McNeil

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 14
WC: 9

No Pressure Errors
WB: 8
WC: 5

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Daniel
1 - Dale, Liberatore, Lipinski, Macrae, Williams

Pressure Gauge
WB: 171 (Below Average)
WC: 180 (Average)

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.14.03 pm.png

Free Kick Summary

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.13.44 pm.png
Did no-one outside Macrae, Bont, Libba, Dunks and Treloar attend a centre bounce? Telling also that the top 3, being the premiership trio also, are represented to the degree they are. Says a lot about the real and present danger that is Nicnat.

I thought the crowd was sensational being at the game. The roar in the last when that little gnome razor didn't pay the holding the ball against McGovern almost took the roof off. It was just so bloody good to be back around dogs supporters and seeing the joy on everyone's faces at the siren. I took my 4 year old to his first ever game today what a way to start his bulldogs journey! Exciting year ahead. Go dogs

What's going on with Fox Footy's "Mini" replays. I forgot to record the game (because I was at the game), so no full replay for me. 😵😵

Yep. Me neither. 😕

...and last week's replay cut out half way through the last quarter.

Getting a bit tired of it now. Might be time for kayo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back