Review Dogs 100 def Eagles 93 - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

How lucky are we to have Jack Macrae? He's year on year been the most consistent player on our list, if not the competition. He's improved almost every year, too. Wasn't afraid to have a ping around the corner today which is a great development in his game.

The bloke will end up being a bulldogs immortal. He's barely missed a game since arriving. Hope we sign him up to a very nice contract end of this year cos there will be many clubs coming very hard.

50th consecutive game for Macrae today, he's missed just 8 games to injury since debuting in 2013, 6 to hamstring 2 to soreness and missed 6 games for form (4 in 2013, 2 in 2015).

161 games and only turning 27 this year, he should cruise to 300.

Contracted until the end of 2022 and has always signed long term deals years in advance. I believe he's never played in a season when he was out of contract so let's hope that continues and he signs on this year. I honestly can't see him leaving, he's one of the most balanced footballers around, rarely does any press keeps himself to himself and just does his job week in week out. Clubs can't afford to let players like that go.

Last edited:
He was overweight and looked slow last year. Now he's got his fitness back. And he kicked straight today.

As long as he continues a 2goal a game ratio he will be selected. I think all of JUH, Naughton and Bruce can fit into the same forward line. Naughton and JUH can play multiple positions.
I think we’re hoping for consistent st kilda type form. He’s been poor so far but good tonight.
He's good enough to play a role. Naughton can't be the only big body down there. When he's not marking he is at least crashing packs and providing physical presence. We dont need him to kick bags.

Yeah thanks gents - basically what we hoped Mitch McGovern would be but for far cheaper and more consistent. Will be watching the dogs with a keen eye this year, great brand of footy. Your worst midfielders performance still yielded 21 touches against a pretty handy WCE midfield. You absolutely hammer sides in uncontested possessions, it's mental.

Third paragraph.
Dunno DW. The goals were scored in a different environment under different conditions and there's been a significant rule change this year (manning staying on the mark). The speed of the game being the main difference between now and then. He's a yard, possibly 3 off it for mine and finals won't be slower. The lack of a standout alternative at the minute might prolong the inevitable.

Just want to add that Liam Ryan is a thrilling player to watch live.

I thought the crowd was sensational being at the game. The roar in the last when that little gnome razor didn't pay the holding the ball against McGovern almost took the roof off. It was just so bloody good to be back around dogs supporters and seeing the joy on everyone's faces at the siren. I took my 4 year old to his first ever game today what a way to start his bulldogs journey! Exciting year ahead. Go dogs

Treloar gave Razor a spray over it, but little man syndrome meant he really wanted to defend his decision. Treloar didn’t back down and I got the feel Razor knew he probably wasn’t in the right before he threw the ball up again.

Wasn’t the worst missed decision ever, but to say he only dived to take the mark means nothing if he didn’t take the mark and then grabbed the ball before getting tackled legally

Dunno DW. The goals were scored in a different environment under different conditions and there's been a significant rule change this year (manning staying on the mark). The speed of the game being the main difference between now and then. He's a yard, possibly 3 off it for mine and finals won't be slower. The lack of a standout alternative at the minute might prolong the inevitable.
Fair comment. I posted elsewhere that he's not the long term solution but better than most of the alternatives at the moment.

If McNeil and Cavarra kick on as small forwards and JUH demands a spot he might be looking to re-invent himself again.

Anyway I'd be sticking with him for a few more games yet.

I was good to see my half brother on the big screen at half time end up being a Shih zhu.

And Libba Snr as THE Australian Bulldog.

also the first time I’ve noticed the walk in video for Sid, that was kind of cool also.

In the end an enjoyable day at the footy with my family and a dogs win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu** that’s a good game of footy. Enjoy the win, I certainly would have, your mob definitely earned it.
That was a great game of football. I have to say that Naitanui is by far the best ruckman in the league. He is a monster. Love watching him. That game was a really good game. every player in both teams worked extremely hard. there were mistakes, but they were due to the intensity and pressure of the game. WC will be in top 6 IMO. very hard team to beat.

Treloar gave Razor a spray over it, but little man syndrome meant he really wanted to defend his decision. Treloar didn’t back down and I got the feel Razor knew he probably wasn’t in the right before he threw the ball up again.

Wasn’t the worst missed decision ever, but to say he only dived to take the mark means nothing if he didn’t take the mark and then grabbed the ball before getting tackled legally
Was a woeful decision - especially being that an identical one was given against the dogs at the other end.

liam ryan shoulda been paid that screamer too. Overall ive seen much worse umpiring.

50th consecutive game for Macrae today, he's missed just 8 games since debuting in 2013, 6 to hamstring 2 to soreness.

161 games and only turning 27 this year, he should cruise to 300.

Contracted until the end of 2022 and has always signed long term deals years in advance. I believe he's never played in a season when he was out of contract so let's hope that continues and he signs on this year. I honestly can't see him leaving, he's one of the most balanced footballers around, rarely does any press keeps himself to himself and just does his job week in week out. Clubs can't afford to let players like that go.
Did Macca not send him to the twos for a week way back when to learn him good about defensive running?
My recollections aren't what they once were and this could be a figment....

I thought Mattdougie was in pretty good form today. A few nice posts in the match thread. Lost his way a bit after the match though. Started spraying a few and playing the man a bit. How did everyone else see his afternoon/evening?

Thanks Scrag. When looking at a performance like this, I think it's worth mentioning his throwing of the entire backline under the bus, quite clearly just to avoid giving any credit to Bailey Dale. It's the kind of superb performance we've come to expect, a real consistent contributor. I look forward to what he'll offer up against North Melbourne. Should be in for a treat of a game.

Tactically i love how WC play the game. They have set plays all over the ground. Wish we could do a bit of that rather than working so damn hard for our goals. Some big efforts by our boys in the last few mins, we know the obvious one but just want to mention Stef Martin and Bruce too

Tactically i love how WC play the game. They have set plays all over the ground. Wish we could do a bit of that rather than working so damn hard for our goals. Some big efforts by our boys in the last few mins, we know the obvious one but just want to mention Stef Martin and Bruce too
I agree but when you have a gun key forward, ruck, gun small in Ryan it helps.
We don’t win tonight without Martin.

You take Naughton out of the forward line then there is a very likely scenario that JUH is playing on the Darcy Moore's, Steven May's etc from the very get go.

Leaving Naughton forward prevents that from happening. And then you consider that Naughton has been training and learning as a forward for the past 24 months. Do we just abandon this? Especially with the success he has had for a forward?

Good key forwards are going to be even more of an advantage with the new rules. I just don't think we abandon this. Teams have room to have 3 good tall forwards.

Cheap decent KPD's can be found pretty easily via trade. I mean we won a premiership with a Delisted Free Agent and Pre-Season draft pick as the KPD's.

I say let’s see how JUH goes first. Too many on here are underestimating the impact he will have from his first game. Have you seen what Logan McDonald is doing at the swans. Naughton was huge today. Yet JUH will be similar and will impact, so quick off the mark, reads the flight of the ball in the air like Chris Grant.
Our weakness is so obvious, kpd, Gardiner and Keith are serviceable but not in the class you need. So by mid to end of year whatever is best for team success we do. They may or may not mean Naughton back, but for me all options are open. What if we get an injury to a kp?

Am I the only one that wants Zaine Cordy back? Seems to be the forgotten man. Has his limitations I know, but I still reckon he’s best 22. Just seems to be out of favour right now both with Bevo and this board. Haven’t forgotten that massive tackle he put on a full speed Josh Kennedy in the Eagles game at Metricon last year! Must’ve had a shithouse pre-season I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back