Autopsy Round 2, 2021: St.Kilda v Melbourne *SPUD'S GAME* *SINCLAIR 100TH*

9412172B-BD8E-4FC7-8BB6-D8E2ABB43255.jpeg
Melbourne’s efficiency numbers. That’s an astronomical number, hopefully finally this sets off alarm bells and we get our defence sorted. This wasn’t as close as the score suggested.

Bushy70

Debutant
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
We’re improving.. a couple of years ago that would have been a blow out. We lost to another top 8 aspirant who many have rated about equal with us by under 20 points with a few noticeable outs and not playing well. In many ways a teams improvement from one season to the next can be better measured by comparing the losses. We played like crap and lost by less than 20 points to a pretty good side... we’re improving.

So it seems most people reckon we played very poorly, yet we only lost by 3 goals.

Even playing half decently AND with same team I reckon would have beaten Melbourne.

Add a ruckman, another key forward and Crouch and we thrash team.

Chin up maties!!!!

Melbourne converted like a Richo team. It was a 100 point loss to a team with an accurate forward set up. We were flattered by the score board. Out played across every line apart from a few small patches of effort.

Melbourne converted like a Richo team. It was a 100 point loss to a team with an accurate forward set up. We were flattered by the score board. Out played across every line apart from a few small patches of effort.
Sort of agree with that
Only round 2 let’s see how we bounce back , beat the Bombers and at least one of Tigers or West Coast

Sort of agree with that
Only round 2 let’s see how we bounce back , beat the Bombers and at least one of Tigers or West Coast

I think our missing players have really hurt. I don't rate GWS at all this year, their list is young and the players they lost have made them inexperienced and not that good, psychologically ****ed from losing the GF is such a pathetic way too.

Essendon have some good players despite looking s**t. The one area they could be dominated in is the ruck...unfortunatly we don't have one to take advantage of it. I don't think this is a walk up win. We are going to have to play at our best or we'll lose this one too. I don't expect much from Crouch, not many new player walk up and play like part of the side, it can actually be hard to mesh. They will have a stadium full of fans and I doubt many Saints will show up so will have to beat the noise of affirmation too.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
We'll know after 5 rounds where we sit. Extremely disappointed with how we went on the weekend...it was poor, really poor...but it's only round 2. If we're + 3 wins after round 5, then we're going okay. Our draw sucks balls, so the team can't afford too many of those performances. In fairness though we all really should've known better than to get our hopes up for a "big" game ... I mean, everytime we open our hearts, hey!? 😆

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nowhere here have I read anything about the team Melbourne put on the park.
Always focussing on us and our injuries.
Time for some clear thinking.
That wasn’t Melbourne’s best team either: missing Brown and Weideman for starters.
Yet they still outplayed us.
By some distance.
There is a mountain of work ahead of us.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
View attachment 1088694Melbourne’s efficiency numbers. That’s an astronomical number, hopefully finally this sets off alarm bells and we get our defence sorted. This wasn’t as close as the score suggested.
Defence is our biggest issue right now. There didnt appear to be able semblance of a structure or system going on in this game. They were a completely disorganised mess against what is a fairly average forward line right now.

At least with our other lines, a lot of our problems will be addressed in the coming weeks with the inclusions of Crouch, Marshall and Ryder.

But whose coming back into defence to help fix it? Maybe Carlisle but no one knows whats going on there or why he isnt in the side in the first place. Or potentially Geary in a months time at best.

Unless we sort out our issues down back and field a backline that has a proper structure with proper match ups for talls and smalls, this season could get away from us very quickly.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
No one mentioning it, but I wonder if our defence is missing Gears. Just his organisation and leadership. And his example and desperation. We seemed to lack structure and I’m sure he helps us with his experience and knowledge.

He may not be our best player, and he cops some stick in here. But his voice on the field seems missed.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Defence is our biggest issue right now. There didnt appear to be able semblance of a structure or system going on in this game. They were a completely disorganised mess against what is a fairly average forward line right now.

At least with our other lines, a lot of our problems will be addressed in the coming weeks with the inclusions of Crouch, Marshall and Ryder.

But whose coming back into defence to help fix it? Maybe Carlisle but no one knows whats going on there or why he isnt in the side in the first place. Or potentially Geary in a months time at best.

Unless we sort out our issues down back and field a backline that has a proper structure with proper match ups for talls and smalls, this season could get away from us very quickly.
Snap. We’re kind of thinking along the same lines.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
the music between the goals at Marvel... what do we all think about that?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Snap. We’re kind of thinking along the same lines.
Great minds aye!

I think your spot on about missing Gears. Even if he wasnt locking down on smalls down back like he has in the past, he would have spent a long of time setting up everyone else and is just a calming presence down back. And you can see we don't have that right now. It looked like 6 individual all playing individual games down back on Saturday rather than 1 collective unit.

I also think Carlisle's direction and voice down back could go a long way also.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
100 point loss . If you are going to go for ridiculous hypertheticals why not say a 1000 point loss?

We were flattered by the scoreboard no doubt. I reckon we should have been beaten by twice the amount, but 100 point?

So we play a team with a better forward setup. So what? Another hypothetical, a different game, and we play better and dont let their forwards dominate.

You could do hypothicals about any team. Fact is we lost by 3 goals and probably should of been more, but you reckon 15 more?
Having a laugh surely.

No one mentioning it, but I wonder if our defence is missing Gears. Just his organisation and leadership. And his example and desperation. We seemed to lack structure and I’m sure he helps us with his experience and knowledge.

He may not be our best player, and he cops some stick in here. But his voice on the field seems missed.

We are also missing Paton. He’s a big loss.

The most annoying part about this will be the collective circle jerk the media will now perform over Melbourne and their list this week... wait for it.
TBH they did it to us last week.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
100 point loss . If you are going to go for ridiculous hypertheticals why not say a 1000 point loss?

We were flattered by the scoreboard no doubt. I reckon we should have been beaten by twice the amount, but 100 point?

So we play a team with a better forward setup. So what? Another hypothetical, a different game, and we play better and dont let their forwards dominate.

You could do hypothicals about any team. Fact is we lost by 3 goals and probably should of been more, but you reckon 15 more?
Having a laugh surely.

I’m choosing to look at it like this:

we lost by 18 points despite playing a way that we all know the team does not usually play like this. why else would we all be so pissed off?

the fact is even though we should have lost by much more we didn’t. I’d go as far to say that that loss was worst case scenario. We could’ve lost by more but we also could’ve kicked better ourselves so it’s swings and roundabouts isn’t it?

So let’s wipe the slate clean. Let’s play Essendon and see how that turns out and if we win we get the ledger back in our favour and can go from there.

Back