Reid bump on Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where I sit on this one.

On one hand Reid wasn't looking to line him up, but on the other, he did seem to brace and launch into him a little after seeing him in his peripheral vision. And we know the tribunal loves punishing outcome over intent.

Genuine 50/50 as to which way they'll go. I wouldn't be upset if they ruled it an accidental football incident.

i agree, I also thought part of the incident was because fyfe seemed to lack situational awareness.

Looks like he was pushed into Fyfe by a Fremantle player? Should he just flop face first into Fyfe? What's he supposed to do there other than what he did? There should be no duty of care placed upon Reid IMO. Ironically, PD tried to claim he had a duty of care to protect himself which was pure bs, but Reid actually should have a good defense based on that.

Any serious attempts at comparison to the Dangerfield bump are asinine.

Should get off but he will get a ticket in the chook lotto.

Looked pretty accidental to me. I once walked into a window frame because I wasn’t looking where I was going. Need stitches in a head wound. Never occurred to me to blame the window.

Sucks that we’ll miss Fyfe next week, but I’d be really disappointed if Reid got a spell for that. We’re not playing soccer for gods sake.

Yep need to see this worse angle because the replay in the OP looks like Reid more or less stops his momentum, plants his feet and lets Fyfe run into him. Even the raised arm happens after the impact.

Hopefully it'll be judged as just playing football. And a week should be the absolute upper limit because we have to protect the head but 2-3 weeks would simply be more of the AFL's fascination with outcome rather than action/intent.

Yep need to see this worse angle because the replay in the OP looks like Reid more or less stops his momentum, plants his feet and lets Fyfe run into him. Even the raised arm happens after the impact.

Hopefully it'll be judged as just playing football. And a week should be the absolute upper limit because we have to protect the head but 2-3 weeks would simply be more of the AFL's fascination with outcome rather than action/intent.

It was insane the coverage on the ch 7 news in perth tonight. They actually said Fyfe was sniped. It was cringe.

Reid is standing his ground at the front of the contest when Fyfe comes running through nothing Reid could have done to avoid contact so braced himself. Fyfes momentum and not being braced himself caused the hit to be one that forced him out of the game.

Difference with this and Dangerfield was that Dangerfield was the one who was the instigator where as Fyfe is the instigator of the contact this time though I don't believe he intended to bump Reid either.

Odd one. Did Reid even get Fyfe in the head? I thought it was more the whiplash effect of not being ready for the bump and then the fall..
yeah he did...
Screenshot at 2021-03-29 04-09-12.png
I just dont know if he "elected to bump" or was just standing his ground. After looking at the video from the angles, I think its Fyfe that changed direction and came out a bit wider. Reid was actually looking at the ball and not Fyfe. I dont think the push contributed at all. I think Reid had a right to protect himself and I think it should be ruled as an accidental clash.
I agree with Montagna "“I think Reid knew contact was going to be inevitable, Fyfe was running at him, last second he saw him, braced for contact and unfortunately it‘s been an accident and a consequence where Fyfe went off concussed. There’s got to be room for accidents in football.”

Was it a boundary throw-in? If it was, then I would say players have a good idea of who to block from going to a contest.

Really is of no matter to me whether Reid gets suspended or not, because Fyfe is going to miss a week whatever happens, so I'm not seeking retribution, but I think Reid will get a couple of weeks because he's done a bit more than just let Fyfe run into him and the contact is high. The vision from this angle makes it hard for Reid to get off.

Last edited:
Negligent Conduct
Low Impact
High Contact
Should be 1-2 weeks I reckon.
Well it wont be low impact, Fyfe was knocked out....So it will be either high or severe impact.
The whole regulations are a bit ambiguous: "The AFL Regulations provide that a Player will be guilty of Rough Conduct where in the bumping of an opponent (whether reasonably or unreasonably) the Player causes forceful contact to be made with any part of his body to an opponent’s head or neck."
Reasonably....what does that even mean? I guess it means accidents.
It will come down to if the MRP think he elected or bump, or was just bracing for contact.
Will probably be 2 weeks, mainly because Fyfe was knocked out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean he'll probably get a few weeks but there wasn't really much that Reid did wrong there, it's not like he ran off his line or went headhunting. Just braced for an impact and Fyfe seemed to be lacking spatial awareness.

I mean he'll probably get a few weeks but there wasn't really much that Reid did wrong there, it's not like he ran off his line or went headhunting. Just braced for an impact and Fyfe seemed to be lacking spatial awareness.
Why is his foot off the ground if he is just bracing for contact?

Why is his foot off the ground if he is just bracing for contact?
generally when players move, either walk, jog or run, you'd expect a foot to be off the ground, unless they are deadset standing still :)
I am so undecided on this....maybe 2 weeks if he elected to bump, maybe accidental if he was just bracing for contact...Dunno which I believe most.

As already said not premeditated like danger's snipe but the players need to be protected

Will probably get weeks based on the concussion not the action

Have watched it over and over and really cannot see what Reid has done wrong- apart form the raised elbow/forearm- which tbh doesnt seem to have actually hit Fyfe in head- more a push off after impact
Nothing like Danger- who was bolting full pelt and left the ground and chose to bump- rather than brace.
Would be stiff to get any time off- yet, probably will

Fyfe ran into Reid, and as such contributed most of the energy on impact. Reid was bracing but still had some carry-over momentum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back