Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a Timmy defender most of the time, there's very little defending I can do of him based on the weekend. Not only did he not threaten much at all he always seemed to take out another Hawk when he hit the deck.

Lewis is fit and firing, I think he should be replacing O'Brien based on that performance. Nash haters look away because I think he's a better option than Hanrahan based on the practice match both last week and this week. Appeared to be vital to our F50 fortunes.

if wingard doesnt get up i believe that nash will come in for ollie who might be moved to sub

A lot to like on the weekend and definitely some light at the end of the tunnel.

I think the main issue was our forward entries and too often plonking, bombing, kick and hoping, not lowering the eyes, not kicking to space, crowded forward line et al most of the time. I think Downie and or Greaves for that long penerating ' mostly accurate' kick into 50 is a necessity in the team and one of them needs to be brought in this week.

I like what Freo did yesterday with their two rucks where Darcy played the front half and Meek played the back half and think this could be an option for us with Big Boy playing back and TOB playing forward. Cegs just doesn't cut the mustard and has little IMPACT on the game in any real sense, yes he got some marks and kicks but I don't think they were anything special and not indicative of a 'talls' possessions. Timmy O is actually not a bad ruck as a chop out Ruck man and then if he is playing the 'run back' into space in the forward line it gives us options. Timmy O did his best with what was provided yesterday but just cannot mark the ball unless he has no competition which kinda doesn't make him a number one forward, or number two probably but it probably works when he can run into space.
If we dropped Cegs for Lewis it would give us more strings to our bow.

The other players who had little IMPACT yesterday would be Ollie and I hate typing this but Worps. If Nash can provide that manic pressure he has to come in and until Worps can play anywhere other than the midfield I'd give Moore and Philips more rotations on the ball and open another spot to bring in another player who will IMPACT the game, which would ideally be Chad but could be Downie or Greaves.

A few tweaks here and there and were right back in this I reckon.

When we have enough good players we are or have been in the past coached well enough - but for 1 area we have always struggled even with our 3peat side and that is the Half Back flood that Drug dealer Thompson invented (which he took to a new level) in 2009 - that is all ichmond are doing and it still works. It's annoying. It's clarkos kryptonite.

Of course having a 3 peat suggest it's a blip but it's still damn annoying.

Even if we add the pace and 50 games into the Sandures etc on our list our other starting 4 mids are a problem. And will remain so putting every other position in a position of having to work harder because the ball is never to their advantage. It is what it is - can't see us being able to trade out of it either.

Seriously, WTF is with Hawthorn kicking it 20 metres out in front of goals every time. The tigers just plucked it off every time. It happened all last year, too. Predictable and pedestrian. Would much prefer us kicking to a lead.

Apart form that, thought Hawthorn gave it a real crack. Great stuff!

Never seen a board so offended by Tom Mitchell as Richmonds was yesterday. People don’t realise meters gained stat actually works in reverse if you kick/handball backwards?
Terrified he’s going to steal precious easy brownlow votes off Dusty, surely I’m not the only person who didn’t think dusty was in the best 3 players on the field yesterday.

If CJ can bridge the gap between his best and his worst, the lid is absolutely off. I love this sort of work but at the same time his mistakes seem to be so high cost.
im happy to wear the good with the bad...high risk high reward. we have some that have no more upside and their mistakes are high also. plenty worse than him over the last 2 weeks!

im happy to wear the good with the bad...high risk high reward. we have some that have no more upside and their mistakes are high also. plenty worse than him over the last 2 weeks!

Definitely plenty worse than him, but we lost by 29 points and I felt he gave away a good 3 goals directly from his mistakes.

I haven't completely missed Lambert. Lambert is a gun, but IMO Vlastuin is one of the Premier defenders in the league. There's a reason Richmond's defence is so strong even after losing Rance, and Vlastuin is a huge part of that and is only behind Grimes in terms of importance.

Anyway, not sure how Edwards, Lambert, Houli, Cotchin and Prestia can all fit into their top 5 players.
All better players than Vlastuin
I have Dusty Cotchin Edwards Riewoldt Grimes at 1-5

Never seen a board so offended by Tom Mitchell as Richmonds was yesterday. People don’t realise meters gained stat actually works in reverse if you kick/handball backwards?
Terrified he’s going to steal precious easy brownlow votes off Dusty, surely I’m not the only person who didn’t think dusty was in the best 3 players on the field yesterday.
First mistake was going to the Richmond board for literally any reason.

However i definitely think he was in the best 3 players on the field, probably number 1.

28 touches, 1 goal and 11 score involvements... 11

Could have easily had 4 goals himself if he did not pass them off

EDIT: Just read a couple pages and lmfao... They are so head*ed by us for no reason? Titch barely got a mention by anyone in the media or even Hawk fans. I don't think anyone thinks he was amazing yesterday. They have won 3 of the last 4 flags and still have this massive victim complex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liked CJ again today, adds a bit to our structure. Overcommitted when on Martin late but he'll learn from that
Saw this and right after it looked like Martin had said something to him as he went over and then they gave each other a low five. Think it might have been along the lines of bad luck, but in a good way.

The whole vibe of it was positive and increased my respect of Martin (unlike some of the other players in their forward 50....)

Seriously, WTF is with Hawthorn kicking it 20 metres out in front of goals every time. The tigers just plucked it off every time. It happened all last year, too. Predictable and pedestrian. Would much prefer us kicking to a lead.

Oh man, this tactic drives me absolutely insane!

The tiges back men are all elite intercept marks so for them this tactic is like marking practice at training. I bet they just took turns plucking those high balls like shelling peas.

It's not like this tactic even plays to our strengths, I mean who in our forward line do we see taking a huge pack mark?

Timmy O aint not Stewart Lowe / Chris Grant.

Damn he aint even no Nick Holland!

Plenty to like. Apart from first part of the first quarter we had a crack and tried to move the ball the right way. Didn’t stand up to Richmond pressure and not clean or smart enough going inside 50. No shame in that, they were too good.

Playing like that we beat most teams and play finals. Expect we will have some ups and downs though and finish mid table. Hopefully some games into the kids and we show enough upside to attract a free agent or trade target.

still missing Chad, gunston and the great man sicily.

Saw this and right after it looked like Martin had said something to him as he went over and then they gave each other a low five. Think it might have been along the lines of bad luck, but in a good way.

The whole vibe of it was positive and increased my respect of Martin (unlike some of the other players in their forward 50....)
Was probably dusty saying that’s 1 all after the don’t argue CJ put on him.

Any info on Will Day injury from the game yet?

Dusty is one of the few players I have no disrespect for. Umpires look after him a little, but nowhere near as bad as other "stars."
He's not a dirty player, and doesn't look to the umpire every time he buggers up.
The media also don't really overhype him (he's actually good)

In my view the forward line was out-positioned by a far more experienced Richmond backline. Richmond were able to cover the lines of attack and seemed far more proactive in their positioning than our forwards. I can count on fewer than three fingers the number of times I spotted a lead into space which was missed. Almost all of the time the forward line was dominated and there was nowhere to kick it but top of the square or maybe a pocket. And it seemed like Richmond had a double team at every contest. There were a few highlights, Kosi's first goal for example where Worpel speared a pass low and hard to a lead, but most often the Richmond defense had the area well-covered.

Just love CJ.

He's so athletic and just reads the ball really well in the air, fantastic for intercept marking. Bring in Sic and DGB, and we will have an intercepting screen in our defence.

Other thing I love this season with CJ and Impey off half-back is we have so much run and speed from our backline. Once our disposal cleans up a bit, that run is going to be so key to launching attacks from our backline and breaking presses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back