Review Round 2, 2021 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've looked at the video of Scott having a go at the boys etc.....nowhere can I see Lachie having a go at him, he didn't even appear close by.

I see Mark Robinson says that Lachie should get a "please explain" too..

I really can't stand Chris Scott now, although I admit I've never liked him much tbh....I've seen him walk over to other players too in the past. He's a hothead, needs to control himself and act in a professional manner.....like Chris Fagan. What a difference between the two coaches.
Will be satisfying when we get one back over them in Round 15.

I've looked at the video of Scott having a go at the boys etc.....nowhere can I see Lachie having a go at him, he didn't even appear close by.

I see Mark Robinson says that Lachie should get a "please explain" too..

I really can't stand Chris Scott now, although I admit I've never liked him much tbh....I've seen him walk over to other players too in the past. He's a hothead, needs to control himself and act in a professional manner.....like Chris Fagan. What a difference between the two coaches.
I also looked at the video and failed to see lachie anywhere near Chris. Wouldn’t surprise me if Chris was lying to save his skin.

I don't like the players standing flat footed making it look worse than it is. Mitch Robinson did this a few times on Friday standing completly still with his arms up and just let players run around him, compared to Jaxon Prior who was ready to go. Small things like that can make a huge difference.
Good pick up noticed this as well.
I assume Mitch doesn’t like the rule, he strikes me as someone who wouldn’t, and if that’s the case - to make a point on field of how silly it can look it’s a bit ordinary as a senior player.

Scott’s behavior as a coach tends to make my reflections on him as a lions player less positive.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I have so much ongoing respect for Chris Scott as a Lions player, I find it hard to comment negatively on him as a coach but jeez his spoilt child like carry on in the box and his smart arse antics are a real shame.

Maybe we should drop our relatively slow defenders then, unless they have a particularly outstanding attribute that justifies their selection (like Rich's kicking). There are fast defenders on the team, like Madden, and players like Coleman and Prior could be brought back into defence.

Similarly, maybe we should drop our hack kicks unless they have a particularly outstanding attribute justifying their selection. I don't think Robbo meets the criteria.
While some personal changes could make a difference, it would be a pretty fundamental change to our game plan. One that would probably end any chance of us making the 8. Dropping even more experience and adding a Madden, Coleman + prior would pretty much be queue in the rack looking to 2021. I'm not sure after 2 rounds we are quite there yet.

As dlanod said, I think it's more likely we tweak our zone to give the opposition space where we don't want them to have it. We also started dropping off the mark and giving them the 10m of space in the second half, as i have felt it's been the small chip over the man on the mark with a player running into that space from the center of the ground that let the swans regularly up the field. Our biggest problem atm is that we haven't been able to push teams wide regularly, alot of easy short kicks getting to players through the center of the ground. Collingwood will be another good test for us.

This has all been compounded by the downturn in form of Neale, coupled with the loss of Rayner as our new ace in the hole inside mid. I've never been particually good at predicting Fagan (I thought Sharp would be dropped for sure and though Coleman was worth keeping in). I was bemused by the addition of a HBFer who was then played mainly as a winger when Berry was a late out. We are crying out for some more help inside so let's hope it happens this week. Winning the ball In the midfield will go a long way to helping us dictate field position, even if collingwood possess the ball.

Good pick up noticed this as well.
I assume Mitch doesn’t like the rule, he strikes me as someone who wouldn’t, and if that’s the case - to make a point on field of how silly it can look it’s a bit ordinary as a senior player.
He was definitely making a point of it as every time as the guy ran last him he gave the ump a spray for being late with the playon call.

He was definitely making a point of it as every time as the guy ran last him he gave the ump a spray for being late with the playon call.
To be fair, I’m not half as competitive as Mitch but that would piss me off... would be infuriating as all hell to watch someone run around u and just hav to stand there. In saying that tho, yelling at the ump isn’t gonna make him call play on any faster nor help our cause.

This is taken from the AFL website. Barrett writes:
‘It was old-school stuff as a Lions player – suspect No.1 being Lachie Neale himself – yelled out something relating to Gary Rohan within Scott's earshot.

Anyone who knows Scott knows that in that very moment, he isn't going to walk away. Nor should he. He may have sought further information – and according to someone within earshot he did seek further information in possibly questioning the toughness of the Lions. And then other Brisbane players may have backed up the first voice.

And then another Lions player, possibly two-time All-Australian defender Harris Andrews but possibly someone else, said something like, "Not as soft as you pricks in the Grand Final".’

seems like a lot of conjecture. How the * did he hear lachie yell anything to him?? Also, they apparently can quote the retort of the Brisbane player but not what Chris said or which Brisbane player said it?
Gee u think maybe someone has only one side of the incident?

Also, in regards to what Barrett wrote ‘he isn’t going to walk away, nor should he’ ummm yea he should! Firstly, how the hell does he know for sure lachie or whoever was calling him out? He probably just overheard a player talking loudly about that bs hit behind play and Chris felt the need to go charge over there.

No, stick to ur own huddle. If, the opposition wanna complain about a hit or whatever, let them. U. ARE. A. COACH.... So go coach!

While some personal changes could make a difference, it would be a pretty fundamental change to our game plan. One that would probably end any chance of us making the 8. Dropping even more experience and adding a Madden, Coleman + prior would pretty much be queue in the rack looking to 2021. I'm not sure after 2 rounds we are quite there yet.
Would it really? Sydney have started the season like a rocket playing inexperienced kids who have speed and kicking skills.

This is taken from the AFL website. Barrett writes:
‘It was old-school stuff as a Lions player – suspect No.1 being Lachie Neale himself – yelled out something relating to Gary Rohan within Scott's earshot.

Anyone who knows Scott knows that in that very moment, he isn't going to walk away. Nor should he. He may have sought further information – and according to someone within earshot he did seek further information in possibly questioning the toughness of the Lions. And then other Brisbane players may have backed up the first voice.

And then another Lions player, possibly two-time All-Australian defender Harris Andrews but possibly someone else, said something like, "Not as soft as you pricks in the Grand Final".’

seems like a lot of conjecture. How the fu** did he hear lachie yell anything to him?? Also, they apparently can quote the retort of the Brisbane player but not what Chris said or which Brisbane player said it?
Gee u think maybe someone has only one side of the incident?
I hope the part where a Lions player said "Not as soft as you pricks in the grand final" was Oscar.
Could of been Harris , wouldn't think it was Danny.
Who ever it was I salute you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the game and watched the replay.

First Chapman in 2013 (happened right. in front. of me.), and now this. Absolutely gutless umpiring.

Watched the replay yesterday to determine if we received the 'rub of the green' as most Geelong supporters asserted.

Geelong were extremely undisciplined and kicked a few out on the full. The free kicks to Hipwood were all there bar one (the push in the back paid against Stewart). They named an undersized backline for a side that had two forwards over 200cm - those free kicks resulted from their ongoing mismatches.

Apparently Geelong can throw the pill and not stand still on the mark as well? And we're the team that is from the rugby state...

I honestly thought Geelong were the better team having watched the game live, however our missed opportunities cost us dearly. Our last quarter was just as good as their first (if not better). I think we were the better team across the four quarters after watching the replay.

Just had my first chance to watch the game. Watched first half so far. Kicking for goal so frustrating. We missed 7 very gettable goals up to half time. Get that right and we win comfortably. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........

Just had my first chance to watch the game. Watched first half so far. Kicking for goal so frustrating. We missed 7 very gettable goals up to half time. Get that right and we win comfortably. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........
Yeah, we can complain all we like, but we're one of the worst kicking teams in front of goals. If we don't fix that, we won't win a premiership. Hipwood should not be missing shots in front, neither should daniher.

We kind of did get it right in the second half. After being 2.9 I think we kicked 8.2 in a row

I thought Brayshaws comment about Geelong removing the flags combined with our inexperience at the ground had some merit.

Ended up with 11.11 and 3 rushed which isn’t too bad.

Having watched the "incident" multiple times, this was a very clear case of being stuck in the full glare of the VFL headlights.

Simply unacceptable and this umpire should not officiate at this level again. Accepted that there are many hard to judge occasions where an individual case can be very difficult to adjudge- this wasn't one of them.

A disgrace to the game.

We kind of did get it right in the second half. After being 2.9 I think we kicked 8.2 in a row

I thought Brayshaws comment about Geelong removing the flags combined with our inexperience at the ground had some merit.

Ended up with 11.11 and 3 rushed which isn’t too bad.
I agree one of the few things Brayshaw said which had a little insight.

I don't remember us coughing up any sodas in the first half apart from Hipwood running into the open goal and missing the impossible to miss.

I don't remember us coughing up any sodas in the first half apart from Hipwood running into the open goal and missing the impossible to miss.
He should have run right into goal. Had more room than he thought.

TBerry missed a sitter. We had a few that were extremely close but just missed.

He should have run right into goal. Had more room than he thought.

Buckled a bit under pressure.

Check out one of Oscar Allen’s goals yesterday for an even funnier example.

So Scott must be 'comfortable' with 2 week-bannable offenses then. No challenge for Rohan's ban.

I wonder where his comfort levels slip... 4 or 5 weeks? :p

Back