Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular opinion but in hindsight Tambling over Buddy wasn't that bad

If we got Buddy we would have been middle of the road for a few years maybe made some finals earlier and lost some of the better draft picks we got, then Buddy leaves for Sydney anyway without winning anything.

Picking Tambling we go on to be the Richmond we are now
Totally this. Even for Buddy, I'm definitely not wanting to mess with the fabric of time or any sliding feckin doors that have given us Tiger ferals these last four or five years. Tambling can now be considered by the Tigers as nothing more or less than simply a means to an end.

I don't know but Richmond passing on fyfe for griffiths after he begged them to take him was pretty average
We have taken a little 20-year drafting mulligan on that 1986-2006 period.

What a dumb observation, McDonald is a ready to go forward and Phillips is a mid in development who hasn't even played yet.

Ask me again next year.

I was making up random numbers to illustrate a point, you got caught in them adding them up and missed the big picture...

Its very true, he's had a couple of good young KPF games to start his career.

I guess you think the Buddy draft comparison is valid then, I think its way too early.

I never said it’s valid and I didn’t get caught up in numbers. Another poster added them up, not me. I’m simply replying as I thought it was a bad example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible that North knows they are heading into a rebuild and they might stand a better chance of holding their high value young talent from the draft if they aren't drafting key forwards from WA right as Josh Kennedy is nearing retirement and Freo is still looking for the great hope.

It doesn't lead to any good outcome if McDonald plays two seasons at North in which he gets three or four looks at the ball a game as the side is pummeled and then is offered a career contract back home. He won't be worth pick #3 then.

North need to bed down the foundation of their next side of champions. McDonald would be lovely to have but I think they get more immediate results, returns and security from midfielders.

Come the end of next season West Coast could put it's first round pick on the table for McDonald and he's coming home - it doesn't lead to a win for North.

Over a decade and about 4 coaches and 4 regimes ago Melbourne decided to tank to get the priority pick they deserves after being rubbish for 3 years and losing the Kreuzer cup to Carlton who tanked harder. Sydney worked out they can just start an academy and get a whole bunch of top 10 picks that way. That's the Swans culture, make sure you've got legal leg ups. 2-0 and the President is still asking for housing allowances.
Lol.
Thats a lot of salty tears.

Which is the same luck of the draw for every father son team. We’ve had one decent one in Daniher and we got one season of good football from him. It’s not a significant advantage.

Would every club in the competition like the access to top 3 picks like Heeney and Mills for cents on the dollar? You even played the rules which forced a change to get Rowbottom, meaning only you could benefit from it.

Just accept you’re getting an absolute ride that everyone would kill for.
We would gladly give it up to play the Grand Final at the SCG. That’s the simplest way to even the competition.
Cue salty tears ....

To make even worse.... they drafted Luke Tapscott at pick 18. Nathan Fyfe was taken by freo 2 picks later at pick 20.

Scary to think having both Dusty Martin and Nathan Fyfe in the same team.
Your profile image was passed over by the entire competition at the end of 1998.

Seriously in hindsight, is there a name on this page that anyone would take over Matthew Pavlich?

Hardly a steady supply. We have had 4 first round Academy draftees in 10 years.

Not expecting any in the 2021 draft either.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - 4 top 10 picks (for late draft pick points), 3 of which were top 5 is a steady supply and a huge advantage.

My own club have not had a top 5 pick in 15 years and you reckon 3 'extras' in 7 years is not significant?

Teams either need to be atrocious or trade out their superstars for top 5 picks - Sydney can just stockpile late picks and then take top 5 players at a further discount. Doing that once in a decade is a big advantage, let alone 4 times in 7 drafts.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - 4 top 10 picks (for late draft pick points), 3 of which were top 5 is a steady supply and a huge advantage.

My own club have not had a top 5 pick in 15 years and you reckon 3 'extras' in 7 years is not significant?

Someone else compared it to the NGA which is just as ridiculous. How would a trade look between your academy selections and ours:

Hawthorn get: Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Campbell, Gulden and Wicks
Sydney get: Downie

Fair trade?

Take out their academies and Sydney's "exciting" group of kids is far less impressive.

4 in 7 years sure, but it is also 4 in 10 years since that is how long the academy has been going for.

Also one of those picks we were lucky as he was the son of a pretty good player, so that is not likely to happen again so in reality it is 3 in 10 years.
Lol. What a rort that was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 in 7 years sure, but it is also 4 in 10 years since that is how long the academy has been going for.

Also one of those picks we were lucky as he was the son of a pretty good player, so that is not likely to happen again so in reality it is 3 in 10 years.

Two premierships and 300+ games is "pretty good"? yikes

Didn't Adelaide pick someone at pick 1 that is now playing for the Bulldogs?

Also someone tell me how many awards academy picks from Sydney have won. The answer may shock you.

Yes which was based on a horrendous system trying mitigate the enormous advantage of NSW academies.

Heeney is the only one over 24, the prime starts for him and Mills starts now. They are coming.

Didn't Adelaide pick someone at pick 1 that is now playing for the Bulldogs?

Also someone tell me how many awards academy picks from Sydney have won. The answer may shock you.

Firstly, the fact Sydney haven't won anything doesn't mean it is not an advantage. That's like saying continual Pick 1's is not an advantage just because Carlton haven't won anything. Of course it's an advantage - you have just not been good enough to capitalise on it.

Also, it's worth noting that your best players are academy selections and the reason your youth is rated much higher than the teams around you. It is likely also a huge contributor to why you are 2-0 rather than 0-2.

Also, comparing it to the NGA is ridiculous. PLenty of teams have had no top 20 or top 30 NGA selections ever. One team had 1 top 5 selection and the rules have been swiftly changed (as they should). Sydney have had 3 top 5 selections in the last 7 drafts alone. To put it into perspective, how would a trade look between your academy selections and ours:

Hawthorn get: Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Campbell, Gulden and Wicks
Sydney get: Downie

Fair trade?

Grand finals even between Vic teams and interstate teams.
Whoever wins the minor premiership gets the Grand Final in their state. That would be fair but let’s be honest, we don’t have an equal national competition, we have a Victorian competition where interstate teams are welcome as long as they don’t dominate.

So yeah, we are going to enjoy playing some local kids for a change - kids who don’t need to be paid big bucks to avoid the go home factor.

Whoever wins the minor premiership gets the Grand Final in their state. That would be fair but let’s be honest, we don’t have an equal national competition, we have a Victorian competition where interstate teams are welcome as long as they don’t dominate.

So yeah, we are going to enjoy playing some local kids for a change - kids who don’t need to be paid big bucks to avoid the go home factor.

So less people can see the grand final? Build a 100k stadium and then it’s time to renegotiate.

We lost more players in the last 10 years than anyone not named GWS. Why should you get rewarded for it?

We lost more players in the last 10 years than anyone. Why should you get rewarded for it?
Do you really have to ask?
If you drug your players without telling them what you are doing, you may lose a certain level of trust in the group. That has consequences ...

Interstate teams lose players because they want to head home and be close to Mum.

Do you really have to ask?
If you drug your players without telling them what you are doing, you may lose a certain level of trust in the group. That has consequences ...

Interstate teams lose players because they want to head home and be close to Mum.

Also put as: if you have an unattractive environment players will leave. Unique circumstances but the same root cause.

Also which of Daniher, Fantasia and Saad were part of the saga?

Also put as: if you have an unattractive environment players will leave. Unique circumstances but the same root cause.

Also which of Daniher, Fantasia and Saad were part of the saga?
Exactly.
And that is the reason we need academies. The Northern teams need a pool of local kids who arent pining for their Victorian mothers.

If the VFL can let the process complete itself we will have a proper national competition before the decade is out and the need for academies will be over.

Off to Tasmania then, they have two heads down there.

Way too early for this thread but having seen the talent of McDonald, who is still an 18yo, you would have to question North's thinking when high quality mids are in every draft, particularly this years where North will probably have pick 1.

I think there was general shock on draft night when North selected Phillips but it may be because they know where their list is positioned and felt McDonald would be a flight risk from a Wooden Spoon team, so go for who North perceived the best mid.
McDonald played a WAFL game against DGB and was well beaten wasn't he? Probably why he went before McDonald.

Exactly.
And that is the reason we need academies. The Northern teams need a pool of local kids who arent pining for their Victorian mothers.

If the VFL can let the process complete itself we will have a proper national competition before the decade is out and the need for academies will be over.

You don’t. You’ve lost 4 players you want to keep in a decade and most them you weren’t giving adequate game time to. It’s not an epidemic requiring you to get priority access to a top ten pick every 2 years.

The afl can run it again now with a better understanding than the previous attempt. Increase the pool without advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back