Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

What a dumb observation, McDonald is a ready to go forward and Phillips is a mid in development who hasn't even played yet.

Ask me again next year.
Lets revisit this thread after he has played five games.

Elton Johns Wig would you like to add anything?
No, no, I think your post just about covered it.

I mean, if you're going for the big gotcha moment, you'd want to make sure there were no skeletons in your closet first I'd reckon.

LDU, Scott, Anderson, Thomas, Simpkin, Dumont, Stephenson, Zuuhaar is more than enough variation, they just have to bide their time on a few. Add in Powell who is very similar to WP and there is a stack of midfield talent in the upcoming draft and not a lot of KP talent. From a list balance perspective it was a massive mistake. Question is whether or not they thought they could hold onto him long term.

You don’t pick for list balance at pick 3..... You pick best available. We won’t know that for a few years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't rate either as a blunder more good fortune for the player. If Buddy ended up with us he would have been another Richo story imo. It's great he got to the Hawks and Sydney to play in successful well run clubs to add to their success. Same with Logan. His chance to taste success is looking much better where he landed.

No, no, I think your post just about covered it.

I mean, if you're going for the big gotcha moment, you'd want to make sure there were no skeletons in your closet first I'd reckon.

* me, fancy talking about Richard Tambling when you took Griffin at 3. You’d have to be a deadset FW to ignore that fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it comes to all-time draft blunders, Melbourne don't get the credit they deserve for the 2009 catastrophe.

1. Melbourne: Tom Scully... a mediocre mercenary who took the big coin on offer from the Giants after just 2 years at Dees-land
2. Melbourne: Jack Trengove... played 86 games, but never reached his full potential due to a nagging foot injury
3. Richmond: Dustin Martin... one of the greatest players of the modern era who has led the Tigers to 3 flags

Scully and Trengove were better than timid Tambling... but fancy having 2 chances to pick Dusty and not taking them?
Serious question though - how would Dusty have turned out at Melbourne if he’d been drafted there in the late 2000s?

Watts, Trengove, Scully, Gysberts, Toumpas, Morton, Cook...

All highly rated juniors their development program failed. I mean you get the odd dud early in the draft but all of the above were rated generally.

I don't think anyone is calling him the next Buddy just yet, more that the famous 'draft blunder' comparison is that of Tambling over Franklin. I think it's a fair question. North's list is clearly screaming out for a true KPF option to build around inside 50.McDonald would provide that and begin developing while North stayed at the bottom of the ladder to draft mids to then supply him.

I dont think McDonald would look this good if he was at North but the comparison about the selection is accurate.
How is it accurate yet? One of them has played 2 decent games the other hasn't even made his debut..

For all we know Phillips could be a future club great, or he could be a bomb. McDonald might not rise to stardom, I've seen plenty of youngsters start hot and not put it together over a career.

So less people can see the grand final? Build a 100k stadium and then it’s time to renegotiate.

We lost more players in the last 10 years than anyone not named GWS. Why should you get rewarded for it?
Good thing the AFL signed that massive mcg extension. That’s a real commitment to giving another state an opportunity to Host the grand final in the short, medium and long term, and incentivises another state for investing in more seats

You don’t pick for list balance at pick 3..... You pick best available. We won’t know that for a few years.

Maybe when it’s a clear cut choice, but an undersized mid who hasn’t played in a year vs a need that has been dominating senior football. Best available was about three other players. WP was the safe choice. Something Dodoro would have done.

Good thing the AFL signed that massive mcg extension. That’s a real commitment to giving another state an opportunity to Host the grand final in the short, medium and long term, and incentivises another state for investing in more seats

Why wouldn’t you invest in a 100k stadium regardless? Not like AFL is the only show in town.

Either way it’s clearly not a factor. Biggest influence is the being the higher finishing team. There have been 4 upsets in 20 years two interstate and two vic.

Serious question though - how would Dusty have turned out at Melbourne if he’d been drafted there in the late 2000s?

Watts, Trengove, Scully, Gysberts, Toumpas, Morton, Cook...

All highly rated juniors their development program failed. I mean you get the odd dud early in the draft but all of the above were rated generally.
In jail... dead...on smack on a street corner.
You couldn’t have run a club worse if you tried.
I mean one of our bright ideas was to make them wear schoolboy blazers to official events (I think that was a Connolly brain fart). Can you imagine Dusty in a private school boy blazer?!?!? He would have jumped ship and signed for rookie wages just to escape that mental asylum.

Well in hindsight picking kruze over cotchin was pretty sh*t so maybe.

Injury riddled ruckman who was still very good (made all Australian squads) and played 189 games can’t be considered a major stuff up, I’d have rather Cotchin in hindsight but wasn’t like we got Jack Watts, Aaron Fiora or Tambling.

4 in 7 years sure, but it is also 4 in 10 years since that is how long the academy has been going for.

Also one of those picks we were lucky as he was the son of a pretty good player, so that is not likely to happen again so in reality it is 3 in 10 years.

You did get him though, so how does that suddenly go from 4 to 3?

The fact he was eligible for your academy is a bigger rort than COLA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back