Round 3 vs Collingwood at Marvel Easter Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No? Fitzroy is given far more attention than the Bears. There are more commerative games celebrating Fitzroy than Bears and we wear Fitzroy's guernsey colour more each year as well. I think the club has done more than enough appealing to the Fitzroy fanbase, but i would prefer they focus more on Bears expats now.
You've got a rich textural culture and heritage over 100 years in Fitzroy proven to work in our golden years which is easily relatable to where your future fan base might be and you want to focus on the Bears expats or history which no one really knows what it is for the short duration it had.

Doesn't stack up to me. But I don't mind if we wear the Bears jumper or tell the story whenever. It just isn't going to excite anyone.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've said this before but I'll bet you any money that Ely Smith will leave at the end of this season for greater opportunities from other clubs.

I’d be surprised if he got opportunity at another club. And if the club isn’t selecting him, its for a reason.
I’m not too sure the club will loose much sleep if a player they are not selecting chooses to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You've got a rich textural culture and heritage over 100 years in Fitzroy proven to work in our golden years which is easily relatable to where your future fan base might be and you want to focus on the Bears expats or history which no one really knows what it is for the short duration it had.

Doesn't stack up to me. But I don't mind if we wear the Bears jumper or tell the story whenever. It just isn't going to excite anyone.
The issue is that our Fitzroy and Victorian fanbase is quite niche. Growth is also limited because Fitzroy was a small club and while some decided to follow the lions, other didn't because they don't see Brisbane as Fitzroy. If you're talking about growth, you're not getting that from Victoria. Growth comes from Queensland and that's why the Lions should be focusing more on the bears, especially because they used to play on the Gold Coast and the Suns stole a lot of our fanbase back in 2010. The club has done right by the Fitzroy fanbase (we even wear their guernsey in AFL states), but doing anything more while continuing to ignore the bears history is silly.

In regard to young children growing in Fitzroy, you have to imagine how hard it would be for them to associate with the club. We're not Fitzroy and they would sooner follow a team in their own state than follow an interstate team that only visits Melbourne 4 times a year.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
The issue is that our Fitzroy and Victorian fanbase is quite niche. Growth is also limited because Fitzroy was a small club and while some decided to follow the lions, other didn't because they don't see Brisbane as Fitzroy. If you're talking about growth, you're not getting that from Victoria. Growth comes from Queensland and that's why the Lions should be focusing more on the bears, especially because they used to play on the Gold Coast and the Suns stole a lot of our fanbase back in 2010. The club has done right by the Fitzroy fanbase (we even wear their guernsey in AFL states), but doing anything more while continuing to ignore the bears history is silly.

In regard to young children growing in Fitzroy, you have to imagine how hard it would be for them to associate with the club. We're not Fitzroy and they would sooner follow a team in their own state than follow an interstate team that only visits Melbourne 4 times a year.

I'm finding I agree with this post. I feel dirty now.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
No? Fitzroy is given far more attention than the Bears. There are more commerative games celebrating Fitzroy than Bears and we wear Fitzroy's guernsey colour more each year as well. I think the club has done more than enough appealing to the Fitzroy fanbase, but i would prefer they focus more on Bears expats now.

Been 585 days since the Lions played in Melbourne. Give us a break.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks

Mate the majority of kids growing up in Fitzroy now wouldn’t even know what AFL was.

Zhesty

All Australian
Feb 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Broncos
Off topic but I'm Brisbane boy so I wasn't a Roy supporter. Imo it shouldn't be a competition between which jersey should be worn more.

I love seeing the Roy's jersey because I know what it means to a section of our supporters and the significance it has to the combined history of the club.

I have no insecurity about the Roy's jersey being worn more than the Bears. End of the day I see it as a combined club. Doesn't matter what jersey we wear, we are all in it together.

Also helps that the Fitzroy jersey is a work art.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
The Fitzroy jumper is appropriate anytime. So beautiful.

View attachment 1089113

Fitzroy Captains Cass Blake and Julian Turner at the BSO.
I used to help out with the Fitzroy U19s(goal umpire usually) when Jules was playing in the U19s and I still remember his first senior game where he lit up the BSO

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

That just doesn’t make any sense.

No new QLD fans give two hoots about the Bears history or Fitzroy history. There’s no need to focus on the Bears history to promote the game up here. Especially as you pointed out, much of the Bears history is tied to the Gold Coast.

By and large, fan base growth will be tied to academy zones throughout QLD. We’re not going to attract many new fans in Gold Coasts zones.

Our ties to Fitzroy provide us with a unique opportunity to grow our fan base in two cities.

We can quite easily focus on both. Excluding Fitzroy is not going to see millions more pumped in to supporting our growth in QLD.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Actually thats not true. It excites me for one.

What I don’t get is why people can’t just expect a balanced representation of both former clubs. As a bears supporter I do feel the fitzroy supporters on our board are pro Fitzroy everything at potentially the expense of the clubs bears history.

I am sure they exist but I have never heard of Bears supporters who dumped the club when we switched from Bears to Lions ... conversely I have heard of many a Royboy whose subjective experience was that they lost their team.

The AFL promised us many things as part of the shotgun marriage merger after deliberately torpedoing time and misadventure befell us and while every jot and tittle of the agreement may not be applicable (eg certain stadia not longer hosting AFL matches) the spirit of the agreement to maximise how many games we get in Melbourne most certainly should ... we may not get the promised six but there should never be a year where we are scheduled anything less than equal most games there out of the non-Vic teams.

How is this relevant to the growth concept? There is a large supporter base for us in Victoria among the merger survivors and their descendants who will join with us not because of how well we play in Brisbane but because of how well we honour the tribal ancestry portion of our joint heritage. We are the only team in the league in our situation and to this day there is a BBFFC on our jumpers ... we are Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club (trading as Brisbane Lions).

We will grow the game in Qld with our skill and engagement on the field and in the community ... we will grow the game in Vic with our skill and egagement on the field and the community which includes the rich heritage of the sons of the king...

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am sure they exist but I have never heard of Bears supporters who dumped the club when we switched from Bears to Lions ... conversely I have heard of many a Royboy whose subjective experience was that they lost their team.

The AFL promised us many things as part of the shotgun marriage merger after deliberately torpedoing time and misadventure befell us and while every jot and tittle of the agreement may not be applicable (eg certain stadia not longer hosting AFL matches) the spirit of the agreement to maximise how many games we get in Melbourne most certainly should ... we may not get the promised six but there should never be a year where we are scheduled anything less than equal most games there out of the non-Vic teams.

How is this relevant to the growth concept? There is a large supporter base for us in Victoria among the merger survivors and their descendants who will join with us not because of how well we play in Brisbane but because of how well we honour the tribal ancestry portion of our joint heritage. We are the only team in the league in our situation and to this day there is a BBFFC on our jumpers ... we are Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club (trading as Brisbane Lions).

We will grow the game in Qld with our skill and engagement on the field and in the community ... we will grow the game in Vic with our skill and egagement on the field and the community which includes the rich heritage of the sons of the king...
Well put.

I know there is an undercurrent of potential support, heritage , passing on of the Fitzroy legacy ,one of the founding clubs, that we can tap into and enhance if we like ,or just let it go.

My kids all go for the Lions and they know why . Their kids will too , maybe their friends. The support our club gets in Melbourne is decent compared to say the Sydney clubs . We matched Collingwood for support in finals in our glory days . The basis is still there.

That's enough from me on this. We got a game to win on Thursday . We seemed to be running into a bit of form and confidence against Geelong. Hopefully what happened at the end of that game really toughens us up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back