Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

I am surprised that no one has compared his athleticism to Franklin. Jordan Lewis said this morning on radio that Franklin could do 15 x 150m off one minute rest in 17 seconds. That is seriously elite. Don't know what CJ can do off the same regime but he was a sub 50 second runner in high school as Franklin was - believe he had a 48 sec PB in high school. We know that he won our second 2k time trial beating Finn who can seriously run. His speed/endurance is probably on par with Bradey Hill but much more physical and around 7-8 cm taller.

Said it before and ill say it again, could well be the next Kouta...

imagine if he’d had 6-10 years of junior footy (maybe he has) great guy and a great story. those guys with really dark skin always look a million dollars too (can I say that)

I reckon he's becoming even bigger than a cult hero.
All the talk at work today in regards to the Hawks was how good CJ and Day looked.

Day might be the new architect a la Sammy mitchell.. I posted a centreline of Maginnes Day Downie a few minutes ago

Last edited:
It’s so rare to find young players with freakish abilities who are also ball-magnets. Maybe that’s just because of his incredible fitness, but he’s everywhere in that back half - and I love the fact that he went for that speccy on Dustin Martin. He is the only defender in the comp with the balls to do that. He is truly unafraid of the opposition, of making mistakes, of getting hurt, he just bites it off and finds out how much he can chew. He’s really inspiring.

What is amazing about this kid given how raw he is is that half the time when he runs in to trouble, he is so damn fast and agile he gets away anyway!

His field kicking is not a liability whatsoever.

Last edited:
It’s so rare to find young players with freakish abilities who are also ball-magnets. Maybe that’s just because of his incredible fitness, but he’s everywhere in that back half - and I love the fact that he went for that speccy on Dustin Martin. He is the only defender in the comp with the balls to do that. He is truly unafraid of the opposition, of making mistakes, of getting hurt, he just bites it off and finds out how much he can chew. He’s really inspiring.
I love the fact that he is now racking up 20 plus possessions a game.

Combine that volume of possessions with the athletic prowess and you have 9ne heck of a player.

I love the fact that he is now racking up 20 plus possessions a game.

Combine that volume of possessions with the athletic prowess and you have 9ne heck of a player.
Plus he reads it so well in the air and takes contested marks. And has the biggest engine at the club. It's an insane package.

At the end of the year we will be looking at one up and coming stars of the competition. He is now ready to improve to take his game to another level. Just cut out the mistakes and brain fades and he will become elite

I watched him for about a minute and he had sprinted forward to press up getting near the F50. Turnover happened and he is working the hardest of any player to get back. Absolutely busted his nuts and looked spent. Still on the same run he had to find another gear to get to aerial contest and he found another gear and made the spoil in an incredibly courageous manner. We got the ball back then he had to run to take a handball receive got it and sprinted again to give off. I don't really know of any other player who could have done what he did. He is just incredible. We are lucky we have found another.

I watched him for about a minute and he had sprinted forward to press up getting near the F50. Turnover happened and he is working the hardest of any player to get back. Absolutely busted his nuts and looked spent. Still on the same run he had to find another gear to get to aerial contest and he found another gear and made the spoil in an incredibly courageous manner. We got the ball back then he had to run to take a handball receive got it and sprinted again to give off. I don't really know of any other player who could have done what he did. He is just incredible. We are lucky we have found another.
He knows how fit he is.
It's an elite engine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the year we will be looking at one up and coming stars of the competition. He is now ready to improve to take his game to another level. Just cut out the mistakes and brain fades and he will become elite

The commentators always talk about the African imports as 'athletes' and roll out platitudes about their speed, strength and whatever else. CJ seems a different beast because he appears to read the play better and have better football instincts than guys like Daw and Chol.

As happy as I am with him I still find myself frustrated at moments, that patch of play where he tried the speccy over Dusty was one because he had better position and if he was less concerned about his man he'd have had a nice 1:1 win. If he can fix those things he will be a star.

Hardwick gave CJ a vote for each error that resulted in a Richmond goal. Love his endeavour and his enormous promise for sure but that is the reality of CJ at the moment

Imo Scrimshaw, if fit, takes his place back there. He has sure hands, is a great mark and is a beautiful user. He is not has flashy as CJ but will work better in a system orientated defence.

Agree with some other posters. Start playing him with the forward group. His tireless chasing, blocking, contesting, marking and 'chaos' will give the opposition nightmares. He is exactly what we lack up front. We used to have Cyril and Poppy making other teams look over their shoulder. Now we are vanilla and predictable.

Imo our defence can stand on its own (Day hurts and may change things). Up forward we desperately lack X-Factor. Kosi and Lewis have played 24 games between them. TOB is unreliable. Brockman needs games and Breustt is still a star. CJ could transform the front half.

The commentators always talk about the African imports as 'athletes' and roll out platitudes about their speed, strength and whatever else. CJ seems a different beast because he appears to read the play better and have better football instincts than guys like Daw and Chol.

As happy as I am with him I still find myself frustrated at moments, that patch of play where he tried the speccy over Dusty was one because he had better position and if he was less concerned about his man he'd have had a nice 1:1 win. If he can fix those things he will be a star.
Yes he is still a work in progress but he has probably apart from Kosi been the most improved player at the club. If we are talking where he was last year and where he is today

Yes he is still a work in progress but he has probably apart from Kosi been the most improved player at the club. If we are talking where he was last year and where he is today

For sure, last year it seemed to be the high cost mistakes without being offset by the goal saving efforts. Now he's starting to balance the ledger.

Of the young defenders I suspect Day is the most likely to move into the midfield and be very effective there. Personally I think CJ gives us more attacking flair rebounding out of defence rather than moving onto the wing.
Connor Downie has the potential to be an elite Wing/Midfielder with his superb kicking skills.
It is still early days for these guys but there is a lot to like.

I don't think he was worried too much about who he was up against. He gave Dusty a fend off at one point in that game.

It was most definitely a poor call to try and speccy. It really highlights that although he is exciting he makes some funny decisions.

Hardwick gave CJ a vote for each error that resulted in a Richmond goal. Love his endeavour and his enormous promise for sure but that is the reality of CJ at the moment

Imo Scrimshaw, if fit, takes his place back there. He has sure hands, is a great mark and is a beautiful user. He is not has flashy as CJ but will work better in a system orientated defence.

Agree with some other posters. Start playing him with the forward group. His tireless chasing, blocking, contesting, marking and 'chaos' will give the opposition nightmares. He is exactly what we lack up front. We used to have Cyril and Poppy making other teams look over their shoulder. Now we are vanilla and predictable.

Imo our defence can stand on its own (Day hurts and may change things). Up forward we desperately lack X-Factor. Kosi and Lewis have played 24 games between them. TOB is unreliable. Brockman needs games and Breustt is still a star. CJ could transform the front half.

Not sure if you were at the game to see what he did live. Easily our most promising youngster. He's played 9 games. Gets coaches votes and you want to move him forward. He is a game breaker. We haven't had one of these for a while. Now we have 3 in Day CJ and Impey up back.

The game is a run from the back half game again now due to the stand rule. Not sure if you have noticed but our running defence is now our greatest asset.

Not sure if you were at the game to see what he did live. Easily our most promising youngster. He's played 9 games. Gets coaches votes and you want to move him forward. He is a game breaker. We haven't had one of these for a while. Now we have 3 in Day CJ and Impey up back.

The game is a run from the back half game again now due to the stand rule. Not sure if you have noticed but our running defence is now our greatest asset.
That spoil he did was Gibsonesque

Once again I don't disagree with this view nor am I disregarding his promise. Happy for the discussion. Its just about balance.

We can propel it all game from our half back line and bomb it forward for no result. I think we can cover a 9 gamer, CJ back there with the talent we have available. If we wait for Gunston to come an fix the forward line the season could be over.

Our forward line is pop gun. CJ could help lock the pill in up there taking pressure, off our backline. No-one else can atm.

I actually agree with a lot of this, but, just think that he will develop better as a footballer down back. We need to focus on what is going to benefit us in the long term, not this year.

Too many teams bottoming out or rebuilding get desperate and try and rush things, we need a good solid 3/4 year plan.

Really feels like he embodies the spirit of the way we're trying to play this year.

Maintains an attacking mindset. Courage to take risks. Confidence to not let mistakes prevent from taking further risks. And just generally enjoying the game and having fun playing.

He's a spiritual leader in the same way Hodge was when he wasn't captain but he embodied all the traits a young pre-2008 Hawks side was trying to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back