Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
From an accessibility point of view, Crippa could be lured with RFA while Harry would need an amicable trade to lure him.

Agree - our money and contract focus should be on Harry first atm, but Crippa is an important signing for so many reasons. Just hope we don't pay through the teeth (esp. with his recent form).
rather pay through the teeth than the nose, mattafidamides...

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

“I don’t want to hear about the defensive work, I don’t want to hear what little parts of the defensive work are not working, I want to see it.
“Until we see it - they’re going nowhere. The best teams are more than competent without possession, that’s why they make prelims and Grand Finals and win premierships.

“If you can’t compete without the football, you are nowhere. If the way you defend doesn’t compliment the way you attack and vice versa, if that doesn’t happen, you have a fraudulent game plan.”

AB_Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 26, 2011
"South of the border"
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
He makes a fair point.....

I don’t blame the defence entirely either, the midfield has gifted our opponents free reign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It actually frightened me a little.

“If you can’t compete without the football, you are nowhere. If the way you defend doesn’t compliment the way you attack and vice versa, if that doesn’t happen, you have a fraudulent game plan.”

Attack and defence aren't complimenting each other. Does everyone remember the biggest knock on Ratts as Carlton coach? We attacked brilliantly but there was no two way running and we leaked scores big time.

Scary to think that a decade later we could be back there again, but this time our attack isn't winning us games. A year or so after that, we went the Malthouse hail mary, ****ed up the whole list and started again for a decade in the wilderness.

What the hell are we trying to do here? Why don't our players know when to move forward or fall back?

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Attack and defence aren't complimenting each other. Does everyone remember the biggest knock on Ratts as Carlton coach? We attacked brilliantly but there was no two way running and we leaked scores big time.

Scary to think that a decade later we could be back there again, but this time our attack isn't winning us games. A year or so after that, we went the Malthouse hail mary, f’ed up the whole list and started again for a decade in the wilderness.

What the hell are we trying to do here? Why don't our players know when to move forward or fall back?

It’s because we have to many coaches / input causing confusion. Let them play and read a game on their own and adjust if necessary on field. A worldwide top 20 band doesn’t have a line coach for every instrument. They have one manager .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Own The Future

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Scary to think that a decade later we could be back there again, but this time our attack isn't winning us games. A year or so after that, we went the Malthouse hail mary, f’ed up the whole list and started again for a decade in the wilderness.

The thing that worries me is the fact that changes in structure usually take a whole pre-season to install and fine tune.
Either a) the system we have is rubbish (my guess) or b) the players aren’t following the game plan.
If it’s a), it will take most of the season to change it.
If it’s b), examples need to be made of those who can’t or won’t follow the gameplan.
And realistically, if it is a), questions need to be asked of the entire coaching staff.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The thing that worries me is the fact that changes in structure usually take a whole pre-season to install and fine tune.
Either a) the system we have is rubbish (my guess) or b) the players aren’t following the game plan.
If it’s a), it will take most of the season to change it.
If it’s b), examples need to be made of those who can’t or won’t follow the gameplan.
And realistically, if it is a), questions need to be asked of the entire coaching staff.

Maybe it's both :p At least if the players followed the game-plan, we might move up from shambolic to garbage.

Our biggest issue is clearly lack of defensive pressure. I don't know what the hell is going on but it's just not AFL standard pressure/tackling we are bringing to these games.

I'd say the next issue is the seemingly complete disconnect between the three attack/mid/defense lines.

As ODN alluded to, it feels like nobody has been capable of teaching this playing group to properly defend in over a decade despite the fact that in that time, every player/position has been replaced often multiple times.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Footy Classified
- We have weak coaching group
- Carrying too many older players
- SPS needs to go into Murphys role (drop Murphy)
- when in doubt play youth
- Cripps has no forward craft, injury was mentioned Cornes view Cripp's just not fit enough to spread like other big mids (eg Wines)

Fun times are they reading big footy?

Footy Classified
- Cripps has no forward craft, injury was mentioned Cornes view Cripp's just not fit enough to spread like other big mids (eg Wines)

I think this is a valid critique but more importantly, done at a valid time.

Previously they've given no thought to our balance, our injuries and our experience levels. These excuses don't fly as much as they used to.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow

King also said on The First Crack that, “He has Teague Fatigue.” Claimed Teague is entering green shoots territory with he rhetoric that has little actual grounding or deflects from the real issues.

Not sure what he wants publically. On the other hand, it’s refreshing to hear the likes of Hardwick, Scott and Beveridgevspeak more candidly.

We got a reaming in the media this week!

We got a reaming in the media this week!

Good. We want to hear something different from Teague. We want to see the players play for him. We want to see some different changes after a mediocre performance.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Footy Classified

The problem is that with Newman and Marchbank still injured, and Parks a little underdone, who takes SPS' spot in defence?

The problem is that with Newman and Marchbank still injured, and Parks a little underdone, who takes SPS' spot in defence?

Another makeshift half back.

I actually think Fogarty has the tools to be a good small defender.

Dunna Heartknee

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Footy Classified

It looks like they are reading big footy, but his comments on Plowman made me think otherwise.
I agreed 95% with their analogy, why do we play injured players? IN turn holding back the youth.

Right from our first shot at Goal on the weekend,
Saying same s**t different year numerous occasions during the match and they were all pre Bolton players.
Our biggest issue for 15 years has been our senior players, scaling this back to two or three is required.
Leaving Weitering and the like to be our senior players.

We have been rotting at the head for years, so the real question is WHERE IS OUR PROGRESSION?

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It looks like they are reading big footy, but his comments on Plowman made me think otherwise.
I agreed 95% with their analogy, why do we play injured players? IN turn holding back the youth.

Right from our first shot at Goal on the weekend,
Saying same sh*t different year numerous occasions during the match and they were all pre Bolton players.
Our biggest issue for 15 years has been our senior players, scaling this back to two or three is required.
Leaving Weitering and the like to be our senior players.

We have been rotting at the head for years, so the real question is WHERE IS OUR PROGRESSION?
Probably want to go a bit older than the 6th year players as the cutoff.... we've only got 25 players on the list who are born after '96, and fiveof them are currently injured...

Not to mention there's a few others a little older than that who go alright.... Cripps, Doc, Saad, Williams, Martin, etc

Footy Classified

well the comments aren’t wrong are they, we have eyes just like they do.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I didn’t & we do

Ok
It's on us to perform in a way that garners positive conversation through the media.

If we play like s*** I fully expect us to be talked about as it we are s***, and with that comes all the other speculation on pressure to coaches, players, off field officials, etc.

If we want a chance this weekend we better bloody turn up. Well, not all the players from the 22 last Thursday, hopefully there's some 'new'/younger faces who are prepared to have a crack.

well the comments aren’t wrong are they, we have eyes just like they do.

I kind of feel like the comments exaggerate the issue by an extra 25 per cent.

The loss against Collingwood was effort based. I suspect there will be 3-4 changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back