Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

reckon matthews was overrated. dusty is way better. won us game after game off his own boot. we need to clone him.:oops:
matthews won plenty of games off his own fist
in the era when we had Bones McGhee , Carl Dietrich , Don Scott , Neil Balme , Cowboy Neale, Mal Brown

one day out at Waverly playing the Saints lowly side , us top 4 bound
Cowboy kicked a bag and all our guys had red sashes , Dick Clay Andrews & co
Cowboy was connecting with the ball and our guys faces , he made it look like an art form

my memories of matthews were if anyone tackled him like danger on Dusty in the GF
he would just dispatch them with a swift smack in the face , by elbow or first
it just seemed to be accepted

he was always in the thick of the action so teams could have tried for revenge , i suppose he did have Don Scott for a minder

I wanna get your opinion, why is it that people say Carey is the greatest ever? I was too young to notice how good he was but he never won a GF off his own boot

Defenders were smaller and less fit back then.

Football was also better / coaches more dumb. Less good tactically with rolling zones and what not. Carey was often 1 out as they say had a paddock.

Also Carey was very good. Had an aura and played a big part in getting norf to those grand finals. Bit like a smaller tom lynch often in good form

I'd have him quite high on the list of players below dusty.

Carey. Ablett senior. Cotchin. Locket. Etc.

Lots of talk in the media recently about how to stop Dusty. Now Leppitsch is giving his two cents - suggests Rampe go with Dusty all day. Why the fu** are we encouraging tagging? It’s one of the worst parts of the game.

O'connor did a good job tagging Lachlan Neale.

If dusty were playing against Richmond. Wouldn't you want to try and lessen his impact?

Lots of talk in the media recently about how to stop Dusty. Now Leppitsch is giving his two cents - suggests Rampe go with Dusty all day. Why the fu** are we encouraging tagging? It’s one of the worst parts of the game.

Because the “terrible” state of the game they’ve been bitching about isn’t a Richmond tactic but a competition wide tactic. The difference is when attacking we’ve been playing the free flowing fast football for 3-4 years to get through flood/zone.

So now it’s become apparent that putting pace on the game hasn’t stopped us they need to find another way.

If Rampe goes to Dusty he’ll just go back on the ball more. He is an elite forward and an elite midfielder/clearance player, no ”tagger” can go with him in both positions.

matthews won plenty of games off his own fist
in the era when we had Bones McGhee , Carl Dietrich , Don Scott , Neil Balme , Cowboy Neale, Mal Brown

one day out at Waverly playing the Saints lowly side , us top 4 bound
Cowboy kicked a bag and all our guys had red sashes , Dick Clay Andrews & co
Cowboy was connecting with the ball and our guys faces , he made it look like an art form

my memories of matthews were if anyone tackled him like danger on Dusty in the GF
he would just dispatch them with a swift smack in the face , by elbow or first
it just seemed to be accepted

he was always in the thick of the action so teams could have tried for revenge , i suppose he did have Don Scott for a minder
he was a barge who was a more than handy forward and good mid. he was one paced. couldn't jump and was average overhead. but could frighten the s**t out of opponents. kelvin had more natural ability. leigh made the most of his ability i'll grant him that.

O'connor did a good job tagging Lachlan Neale.

If dusty were playing against Richmond. Wouldn't you want to try and lessen his impact?
Not a hard tag. I wouldn’t like it if we had a player like de Boer or Steven Baker on our list, whose only job it is to negate and suck all of the enjoyment out of the game.

Dimma said something recently like we don’t believe in tagging, we back our players in to win the ball and be better. That’s positive, I like that message.

Dusty would spank Rampe at stoppages.

Levi Greenwood always did well on Dusty because he is good in tight as well as a decent defender one-on-one. But he is cooked now. Can't think of any others that could do the same job.

Dusty would spank Rampe at stoppages.

Levi Greenwood always did well on Dusty because he is good in tight as well as a decent defender one-on-one. But he is cooked now. Can't think of any others that could do the same job.

Remember the gws bloke was supposed to stop martin in the grand final.

Iirc dusty went forward. Tagger went to prestia and got meatball smashed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL’s Dustin ‘Dusty’ Martin on mental health and his bad-boy image
In a very rare interview, AFL star Dustin Martin tackles questions about his upbringing, his mental-health struggles, and what he really thinks of his bad-boy image.
Patrick Carlyon, Stellar Magazine

Some snippets from the interview:

Talking with Dustin Martin is more about what he will not say than what he will.
He’s the biggest phenomenon in Australian sport, the first AFL player to win three best-on-ground medals in the grand final. Every footy fan – and plenty who never watch – knows him by his first name.

“Dusty” is AFL’s most marketable sporting commodity. Yet almost no-one really knows who he is – and that’s how he likes it. Martin says he doesn’t care what people think of him, because the only opinion that matters is his own.

As such, he tells Stellar, “I don’t know if I’m misunderstood or not. I just keep trying to be the best person I can. People are quick to pass judgement on one another, but you never really know what people are going through or have been through. We are all imperfect, we are all living and learning, and I just try to do my best every day.”

At his Stellar photo shoot on the docks of Port Melbourne, Martin is a cooperative and friendly presence. He will talk about his sponsors, the beginnings of “Dusty Inc.” and how he hopes to feature in the fashion industry after his sporting career ends.

He will expand on his love of kids, his troubles with phones (he hates phone covers and refuses to use them), and his fondness for sports documentaries, which teach him new things about elite performance.

He will show off his new tattoos, which include three premiership tatts – for 2017, 2019 and 2020 – that were inked on his thigh at about 6am the morning after last year’s grand final.

But he won’t talk about relationships.

Or the marriage breakdown of his coach, Damien Hardwick, except to say it will have “no impact” on Richmond’s plans to extend its grand-final dynasty.

As a journalist once said, Martin is a puzzle to be solved. He is hidden in plain sight, and has been since his AFL career began with 18 touches in a 2010 game.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale tries to explain the cult of Dusty, telling Stellar, “The public don’t know him. He’s hard to know. He’s a very soulful, passive sort of guy. [It is] a complete juxtaposition to the way he plays, which is ballistic and bombastic.”

Perhaps the most influential player of a generation, Martin’s mohawk styling denotes his warrior bearing, as though he has been lifted from a long-ago war and asked to put down his tomahawk. He harks back to footballing greats such as Wayne Carey, or Gary Ablett Sr, when the match result rests on his exploits and the other 35 players on the field double as observers.

At 29, Martin is growing up. If he’s “grateful” for the million-dollar contracts, he’s come to appreciate that the pursuit of happiness isn’t driven by material gains. He speaks of mindfulness to combat the empty feeling after he won his first flag in 2017. He reads, has kept a daily journal and taken cooking classes – all choices that don’t easily sit with his public reputation for toughness.
“I think most people at some stage in their lives go through a similar thing,” he says of his post-2017 blues. “I just think it’s important to be open and honest, and talk about your feelings with someone.”

It’s a side rarely glimpsed, along with a playfulness that’s defied the scrutiny. “He cares about things,” Gale says. “He is always evolving, learning and growing. That’s a side the public don’t see.”

After last year’s grand final, Martin sent Richmond club president Peggy O’Neal a text message: “We won, we won, we won.” His boyish exuberance extends to kids. Martin can often be spotted, on the floor, playing with the children of his teammates.

“I just remember as a kid I had a lot of great people I looked up to – my mum, dad, aunties and uncles – and they were always fun to be around and looked after me,” Martin says. “So I guess I try and be that kind of ‘fun uncle’ for the kids – and be there for them.”

Disappointing read

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Cullum needed a cigarette after this write up.

THE PARADOX of Dustin Martin is that we simultaneously know everything and nothing about him. The AFL's best footballer is both iconic and reclusive, imitable and completely inimitable, in the orbit of the public on Punt Road yet truly out of reach.

The competition's greatest entertainer and most well-known player remains a private figure off the field, rarely giving interviews and forgoing the spotlight for others. And yet he already has a record even the most vague football supporters can reel off at the drop of a 'don't argue': three premierships, three Norm Smith Medals and a Brownlow Medal. And possibly more to come.

Imitable definition, capable or worthy of being imitated:

Inimitable definition, incapable of being imitated or copied; surpassing imitation; matchless.

This above is one of the major reasons someone like Kane Cornes will never ever fully understand the magic that is Dustin Martin.

Congrats to the Tiger immortal on 250 games for the yellow and black.

I can’t see us losing this one.

Our team will do everything it can to give Dusty a win in his milestone game.

I expect Dusty to have a ripper game but when does he not have one?

Noone wanted him back then,now everyone is prowling around like hyenas,Norf lol,and now the colas trying to pinch our immortal Tiger.

gagf

He’s as Richmond as Hafey,Bartlett and Dyer!

Eat Em Alive champ!

Media narrative around dusty this season is insane. They have all jumped on his d*ck big time, based on the sheer number of feature article, video segments, commentary on him. No longer a question of Dusty v. danger, they openly state he is the greatest of our generation and maybe all time. Funny it has taken so long for them to realise what we all knew!

Dusty is a monk footballer. Wisdom and aspiration beyond success and money. He’s on another level. If there was ever a “spiritual” footballer it is him. Mindset is what separates him from all others

Dusty milestone games
50: R7 2012 Rich 13.13 (91) def Syd 8.14 (62). 24 disp, 1 goal, 4 tackles, 1 Brownlow vote
100: R15 2014 Rich 18.9 (117) def St K 11.7 (73). 24 disp, 6 inside 50s, 1 goal assist
150: R20 2016 Rich 14.8 (92) def Coll 11.11 (77). 34 disp, 1 goal, 7 clearances, 2 goal assists, 2 Brownlow votes
200: QF 2018 Rich 13.17 (95) def Haw 9.10 (64). 29 disp, 1 goal (GOTY), 10 clearances, 5 inside 50s

******* hell 250. What a player. For me he is the GOAT in vfl/afl history. Best ever player to play our game and he plays for US. so lucky to have watched him play all these years.

So many moments I remember him by but definitely the stuff that stands out to me are his late last qtr goals in all our gf wins to basically put the cream on the cake and tell all us fans it's time to ******* PARTY.

Those goals with the tug of the jumper brings tears to my eyes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back