Review Dogs 100 def Eagles 93 - Rd 2, 2021

Poor Wally recorded a lower rating than the two players that didn’t play a minute of the game.
Had a real mare. 3 simple things change, kicks 2 simple goals and does not fumble in the goal square, 3 goals and we are talking about how good he was. A fine line but it is a tough game

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
How goods Bonts contested marking gotten. He’s genuinely probably an elite contested mark now, I’m so confident when he’s going up for one, probably more confident than anyone on our list other than Naughty. If he keeps his goal kicking up, along with his marking. He’s the best midfielder in the comp no doubt in my mind.

Dustin Martin is clearly the best mid in the game and it's not even close. Bont might be the second best though currently.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Had a real mare. 3 simple things change, kicks 2 simple goals and does not fumble in the goal square, 3 goals and we are talking about how good he was. A fine line but it is a tough game

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes when you’re a little down on form you make little mistakes and I think that was the case with Wall. Ordinary Rd1 and a shakey start to Rd2 and then he’s right off the rails.

He’s far from getting dropped though, in my opinion and could find some confidence again with a slightly easier task against North.

Dustin Martin is clearly the best mid in the game and it's not even close. Bont might be the second best though currently.

He might be the best player since Ablett Snr (start of my era). I definitely have him ahead of Carey and Ablett Jnr.

Bont (and everyone else) is fighting for the mantle of 2nd best mid in the comp.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is the downside of playing Daniel down back, with the new rules. It's not effective to have him not take the kickouts, because realistically he can't present much of a target, but by having him as the designated kickout taker we're easily giving up 15+ metres of penetration.
It was interesting to watch on the weekend.

It is not only that Daniel probably kicks about 10 meters shorter than Hurn, Hurn also took full advantage of the new distance the mark is set back, whereas Daniel ran sideways, not taking that advantage costing another 15 meters. Therefore they had a 25.meter advantage on kickouts long to contests.

Not sure it is a Daniel issue or we need to develop a system of kicking out taking advantage of the deeper mark

It was interesting to watch on the weekend.

It is not only that Daniel probably kicks about 10 meters shorter than Hurn, Hurn also took full advantage of the new distance the mark is set back, whereas Daniel ran sideways, not taking that advantage costing another 15 meters. Therefore they had a 25.meter advantage on kickouts long to contests.

Not sure it is a Daniel issue or we need to develop a system of kicking out taking advantage of the deeper mark

JJ tailor made to take kick outs with the new rules.

Jdoggy

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey guys the old havent posted since 20th June 2020 post, as it has been for years now enjoy the forum read, less commenting.
2 things though
1. Great to read of those who went to the game coz I did too and, it just felt like coming back home from a long trip. I get that some have observed that being at the game didnt get a sense of just how incredible the game turned out but the sense of it definitely kicked in when Bont sealed it. Although our scoring efficiency is still a work in progress like it has been for eternity, I accepted we were against a worthy opposition that would keep us honest if we didnt give it everything which made for an unforgettable finish.
2. Many have sung his praises for his game and also how he is shaping up as a player but Laith Holy Hell. Halfway though the 4th you could sense the resigned atmosphere that we couldnt get the job done coz we couldnt score until Bruces goal broke the camels back. Enter the next centre bounce and Treloar kicks a rogue ball to HFF for Hunter to chase down and Laith provides the most vital shepherd, bounces back to get the handball receive from Hunters gather and puts it down Naughtys throat; Watching that up there on Tier 3 was unbelievable.
He then kicks the runner from the McNiel shark. The boy is that good I maintain from the day it happened, he doesnt do his hamstring last year against Geelong, we win, and probably comfortably.
Until next time when we have another great game Im compelled to post :)
*Edit: One other thing about Laith too that others have been observing more in last few weeks that I love, is that he has that serious campaigner about him. Usually with speedsters your speed is your one wood with not much hardness attributed but hes got the lot; speed, reliable field kick, tackle pressure, but notably Real Campaigner attitude.

Last edited:

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JJ tailor made to take kick outs with the new rules.

In the 90’s, I can remember a Richmond FB who regularly used to reach the wing / centre on kick ins. I think it was Scott Turner if memory serves. With the FF pulled even further back with the new rule, a player with those kicking skills could nearly land it at CHF. Imagine the possibilities...

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Hahaha 😂😂😂 that’s a massive call, if that’s the case I think Schache will become a Jonathan Brown type of player in a few seasons!!!

Gardner is and always will be an average player and tonight was a prime example of it. People in here are wishful thinking other wise.
I thought Malthouses article was spot on and realistically where our list is at.
I remember Lake being an absolute spud when he first started. He used to make howlers. However, with good coaching and hard work he became one of the best big backmen in the league. Remember that Gardner has only played around 15 games so far. Good backmen, really good backmen become good after at least 50 games. I am not so negative as you, mate. Laugh all you like, but the guy played against three of the most powerful tall forwards in the league. did he make any howlers, no! Did he play a disciplined reliable and solid game against arguably the best tall backmen in the league. the answer is a resounding YES!
As for Malthouse's article, it was poorly written. The editors at the HS did not do their job. It was an unintelligible article. Our backline held well and it was, apart from the midfield, the reason we won. Keep laughing mate, as I am, not because I don't like to trash our players, but because we beat WCE who are arguably a top 6 team and a force to be reckoned with in the finals. GO DOGS!!!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dustys been doing it a long time and is obviously one of the greatest of all time, but if Bont keeps hitting the scoreboard at the way he’s threatened to this year, then with his overhead marking and more damaging disposal I think we’ll be able to look back and say he’s had the best year out of any mid. Big if as to whether he can do it as consistently as Dusty does, but if he can I genuinely think Bonts best is better

Damn looking at the ouput from Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Liberatore, Treloar, Smith, Hunter always re-reminds me that the dogs probably have a top 5 midfield.

I pray to god english has a 0 to 1 moment where he becomes an elite tap ruckman over night like Grundy and Gawn.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardner is improving by the week. He was very useful today. I predict he will become a Brian Lake type of player in a couple of seasons. I also read the article by Malthouse. I thought it was a mishmash, poorly written and incoherent.
That’s a massive call... Brian Lake is the best full back we have ever had

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Having a day or so to think about this victory, it reminded me of our win against West Coast in 2016. Similar flow of the match, close margin, we scored a late goal in both to put the game to bed. Additionally, in 2016 'pundits' were questioning had that Bulldogs team beat any good sides, and if not, could we beat good sides (of course we all know what ended up happening in 2016). I feel this win and if we follow it up in the upcoming weeks (which I'm not overly confident about) will cement or place as top 4 and flag contenders. I'd like to see us go 6-0 and then beat Richmond round 7, but we will see.

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dustys been doing it a long time and is obviously one of the greatest of all time, but if Bont keeps hitting the scoreboard at the way he’s threatened to this year, then with his overhead marking and more damaging disposal I think we’ll be able to look back and say he’s had the best year out of any mid. Big if as to whether he can do it as consistently as Dusty does, but if he can I genuinely think Bonts best is better
Depends whether Bont's best will win us more flags. Because I think if Richmond didn't have Martin they'd only had won 1 of their 3 flags.

I will note that without Bont we may not have won the SF and PF in 2016, so possibly he's already done that, but on the other hand Martin has done it 3 times and been recognised for that fact 3 times.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dusty and Bont are the two best players in the comp, not just the best mids, and by some margin

Bro_Pro

All Australian
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You’d have to be pretty happy having that discussion deleted Bro. Saves you from having to put your balls on the line with a rundown on Gards’ game.
Haha why...? Because I was giving a valid point to my argument and it got deleted because you are mates with a Mod...? I did that and it got removed and I see your posts got left there to try and make me look like a fool 😂😂👏🏼 This joint is like being back at high school with its little groups what a joke😂. If you don’t have the same opinion as the majority your in the “wrong” category.
Well done mate now move along to your mothers club!!

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Haha why...? Because I was giving a valid point to my argument and it got deleted because you are mates with a Mod...? I did that and it got removed and I see your posts got left there to try and make me look like a fool 😂😂👏🏼 This joint is like being back at high school with its little groups what a joke😂. If you don’t have the same opinion as the majority your in the “wrong” category.
Well done mate now move along to your mothers club!!

Lol, nice and paranoid there Bro!!

Not sure anyone’s out to make you look like a fool. You’re doing that all on your own.

Last edited:

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I remember Lake being an absolute spud when he first started. He used to make howlers. However, with good coaching and hard work he became one of the best big backmen in the league. Remember that Gardner has only played around 15 games so far. Good backmen, really good backmen become good after at least 50 games. I am not so negative as you, mate. Laugh all you like, but the guy played against three of the most powerful tall forwards in the league. did he make any howlers, no! Did he play a disciplined reliable and solid game against arguably the best tall backmen in the league. the answer is a resounding YES!
As for Malthouse's article, it was poorly written. The editors at the HS did not do their job. It was an unintelligible article. Our backline held well and it was, apart from the midfield, the reason we won. Keep laughing mate, as I am, not because I like to trash our players, but because we beat WCE who are arguably a top 6 team and a force to be reckoned with in the finals. GO DOGS!!!

At the same age, Gardner and Lake's stats are pretty similar. The main difference being that Lake had been on a list for 4 years and had played 3x as many games. Not saying Gardner is on track to reach the heights Lake did, but I also doubt Lake was copping the ridiculous heat that Gardner is at the same point in his career.

Dusty and Bont are the two best players in the comp, not just the best mids, and by some margin

1. Dusty
2. Bonti and Fyfe
4. Danger

Fyfe is right there with the Bont IMO.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
He might be the best player since Ablett Snr (start of my era). I definitely have him ahead of Carey and Ablett Jnr.

Bont (and everyone else) is fighting for the mantle of 2nd best mid in the comp.

I need some think time to agree he is better than Carey fronk.
At the time Carey played in hardest position on the ground .
Also at a time when chopping arms and belting the back of heads was a skill every defender aspired to.
Mathews probably better than both in my time ?????

Do you know if Foxtel will run a full replay of the game? Like others here my recording cut off just before the siren!
Yes, what's with all these mini clips and repeats ad nauseum of 360, On the Couch and the other nonsense show/s?

Back