AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caris, Brown and Georgia Clarke, too (all tall), plus I'm backing in Darcy Moloney to improve significantly next year - agree we will need additional tall timber on the list though, particularly another ruck ....

with returning injuries and an extra pre-season we could field a reasonably competitive team next year:

B: M. Brown M. McMahon
HB: J. Ivey M. McDonald S. Van De Heuval
C: L. Gardiner O. Purcell N. Morrison
HF: D. Taylor G. Clarke M. Maguire
F: O. Barber S. Williams
R: R. Caris R. Webster A. McDonald

I/C: D. Moloney C. Remmos M. Keryk J. Crockett-Grills & AFLW Draft selection #2

Very young side, but also a side that has a decent amount of experience, only 4-5 players over the age of 25 and only Meg Mac @ age 30.

Garing is one from the 30+ group I may be tempted to keep on the list but purely as a backup option

She started this season playing from the forward line and was next to useless, think I may have even suggested omitting her from the team. But after Purcell went down injured and she moved back into the midfield, she had a much better impact in the matches, and she may not be the worse option to keep on the list the 30th player - so not someone who'll be playing every week, but is available if required

I think we're likely to lose Garner off the list, especially if she's accepted into the police academy

I find it harder to make a case to keep the likes of Higgins and Rocky, neither really had a good season or showed enough consistency to be a priority to retain. They had good patches, but lacked the consistency required

Garing is one from the 30+ group I may be tempted to keep on the list but purely as a backup option

She started this season playing from the forward line and was next to useless, think I may have even suggested omitting her from the team. But after Purcell went down injured and she moved back into the midfield, she had a much better impact in the matches, and she may not be the worse option to keep on the list the 30th player - so not someone who'll be playing every week, but is available if required

I think we're likely to lose Garner off the list, especially if she's accepted into the police academy

I find it harder to make a case to keep the likes of Higgins and Rocky, neither really had a good season or showed enough consistency to be a priority to retain. They had good patches, but lacked the consistency required

The bolded could describe half the list this season though.

The bolded could describe half the list this season though.
True

And maybe it's wrong of me, but I'm going to be a harsher judge of the more senior, experienced players than I am of those in their first few seasons

I'll be more accepting of inconsistency from the likes of Williams or Caris, than someone like Rocky

True

And maybe it's wrong of me, but I'm going to be a harsher judge of the more senior, experienced players than I am of those in their first few seasons

I'll be more accepting of inconsistency from the likes of Williams or Caris, than someone like Rocky

I agree Rocky had a poor season, but I wonder if she was being played out of position for most of it and should've played on the half forward line and allowed to push further up the ground instead of languishing in the forward pocket. It seemed she was playing in that role on the weekend, and subsequently had her best game of the season to boot.

I agree Rocky had a poor season, but I wonder if she was being played out of position for most of it and should've played on the half forward line and allowed to push further up the ground instead of languishing in the forward pocket. It seemed she was playing in that role on the weekend, and subsequently had her best game of the season to boot.
Agree

Garing was at her best when thrown into the guts and thick of things

Rocky was at her best when playing higher and getting more involved

McMahon was at her best when playing in defence alongside McDonald rather than being backup ruck for O'Connor

SVDH - slightly different situation as she's one of the younger troops, but looked at her best when thrown in the guts

Seems a common theme that our players looked their best when actually playing roles they were most suited to, and the team looked at it's best when players were in those roles, plus we also went less structured and more free flowing & attacking in our style

It kinda makes decisions difficult going forward because one can make an argument for & against most players on the list (some wouldn't have an against), but we then gotta weigh up what's best for the team going forward, and what we expect from season 2022

Agreed that Garing had a strong back-end to the year - and that Higgins and Rocky should be on shaky ground.
I was pretty down on McWilliams for much of the year but thought she improved as things wore on.

I s'pose the team I listed was more a demonstration that the club really doesn't need to rely on the remaining group of veterans to stay competitive; in fact the more of them we fielded the more uncompetitive we seemed.

I'd be comfortable keeping Garing; she has her limitations but fitness and competitiveness are not among them.

So it was that incident?
Ludicrous.
It was the perfect tackle.
Unless there's another tackle from the 4th quarter

Amy McDonald, Geelong has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Daisy D'Arcy, Gold Coast SUNS, during the fourth quarter of the Round Nine match between the Gold Coast SUNS and Geelong, played at Metricon Stadium on Saturday, March 27.

In summary, she can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact, Body Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Unless there's another tackle from the 4th quarter

Amy McDonald, Geelong has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Daisy D'Arcy, Gold Coast SUNS, during the fourth quarter of the Round Nine match between the Gold Coast SUNS and Geelong, played at Metricon Stadium on Saturday, March 27.

In summary, she can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact, Body Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

No I'm sure you're probably right - but as you pointed out, the controlling umpire actually awarded Amy the free kick; her opponents arm was never really in any danger, and if she *was* in some kind of discomfort she could have simply dropped the ball to protect herself - she chose to fight on and was pinged.

I suppose accept the reprimand, but it's a bit silly imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was disappointed Laura Gardiner didn't get a nod for Rising Star either. She deserved one after her last fortnight.
next year

Will she still be eligible?
I would think sure

Don't forget that Becky Webster received a rising star nomination in round 4 this season - Beck played 4 games in her first season & 6 last year, and still eligible this season

around the 12.30 mark... geelong not a destination club. ... sounds like ..in her eyes we are just rubbish.
That's Sarah Olle talking though isn't it and expressing her opinion

"They don't look like a destination club; I don't know why you'd want to go there at this point in time.

And I'm even hearing murmurings that Olivia Purcell might not be entirely happy there either and she's probably their best player"

Not saying she's wrong with her assessment, and that may be why the club should look at things such as coaching staff and if there is someone why may help make the club more appealing to other players

But also, are there genuine destination clubs in the league under its current structure?

Adelaide is by far the most successful club, but don't necessarily see many making the move interstate to go play for the champion teams.

When players change teams is it for success, greater playing opportunities or money, which would relate more to external factors due to the structure of the salary cap?

As for murmurings around Purcell, sounds similar to what we hear in the mens game - wait & see what actually happens

Would be interested to see how much player movement we would see in the AFLW if the league was fully professional rather than just semi-professional. What hampers us IMO is the limited employment opportunities in the greater Geelong area, which would make us less than a desirable destination for semi-professional athletes.

That's Sarah Olle talking though isn't it and expressing her opinion

"They don't look like a destination club; I don't know why you'd want to go there at this point in time.

And I'm even hearing murmurings that Olivia Purcell might not be entirely happy there either and she's probably their best player"

Not saying she's wrong with her assessment, and that may be why the club should look at things such as coaching staff and if there is someone why may help make the club more appealing to other players

But also, are there genuine destination clubs in the league under its current structure?

Adelaide is by far the most successful club, but don't necessarily see many making the move interstate to go play for the champion teams.

When players change teams is it for success, greater playing opportunities or money, which would relate more to external factors due to the structure of the salary cap?

As for murmurings around Purcell, sounds similar to what we hear in the mens game - wait & see what actually happens

Im only a very passive observer of the comp... but Id say.. the comp is little like it was in the old VFL days. Work and play..which means we are a decided disadvantge..and those that are professionals may prefer a Melb club. North Melb came into the comp the same time as us... so far... their approach appears to be creating a more positive face.

Put it this way... the draft system has more down side than up side for us .... and which vic based players want to move from a melb club if they live and work in melb?

A more profession comp..probably suits us as a destination club much better

Last edited:
Would be interested to see how much player movement we would see in the AFLW if the league was fully professional rather than just semi-professional. What hampers us IMO is the limited employment opportunities in the greater Geelong area, which would make us less than a desirable destination for semi-professional athletes.

Yep ... so till its a pro comp... tough times ahead

Yep ... so till its a pro comp... tough times ahead

Which is probably why we've focused on drafting locals and others from rural areas - less likely to want to move to the city or interstate.

That's the theory anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back