Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Not sure I recall him ever being dumped to the seconds? Regardless Id imagine the coaches philosophy is a simple one......in a team getting smashed by 50 points does he deserve his spot and who takes it if he doesnt? If theres a better choice then regardless of how many games the guy has played if hasnt earnt it then replace him.

yeah i remember him being dropped, and coming back and kicking 3 goals against GWS in Sydney the following week (I was at the game) but gee that was a long time ago now.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
I'm starting to see some signs "Ats" has turned the corner. Like a lot of us, I believe "Ats" best footy is ahead of him, which, when you think about it, is bloody scary. 27 touches vs Gold Coast - BANG!!! The Suns had no answer for him & I'm sensing the Bulldogs will analyse his game to an inch of its life.

Im hearing ya, Ive captained him in my fantasy team.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whilst I'm critical of his weekly errors, I agree that this has played its part in what he is today. They trialled him with the mids for one preseason and then gave up when he didn't dominate. Should have persisted with him in the midfield.
Hard disagree. He panics when confronted with the slightest bit of pressure and loses all composure in traffic. What makes anyone think that this would improve in the most congested part of the ground? He's never had the skillset to be a mid. The only positive of him playing midfield is that the turnovers would be further from the opposition's goal.

Hard disagree. He panics when confronted with the slightest bit of pressure and loses all composure in traffic. What makes anyone think that this would improve in the most congested part of the ground? He's never had the skillset to be a mid. The only positive of him playing midfield is that the turnovers would be further from the opposition's goal.
Have you noticed how many hard contested balls he wins? More than a few.

You know I'm not his greatest fan, but I think he executes better when he has no time to think. That's why I think he's more suited to the midfield.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Enough with the excuses.

Been hearing them for over 200 games and it's always someone else's fault.

He is now a senior player who simply isn't up to it and has no place in a heavily rebuilding squad.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Enough with the excuses.

Been hearing them for over 200 games and it's always someone else's fault.

He is now a senior player who simply isn't up to it and has no place in a heavily rebuilding squad.

If you'd been list manager end of 2020 and HAD to retain 2 of Pittard, MacMilland Atley - who would you have chosen?

yeah i remember him being dropped, and coming back and kicking 3 goals against GWS in Sydney the following week (I was at the game) but gee that was a long time ago now.
Atley has kicked one goal against gws in his whole career. Must be thinking of another game sir.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the biggest mistake with Pittard was putting him in the leadership group. I get the feeling it went to his head and that had something to do with his delisting.

His massive decline in form was quite unbelievable.

Your thought may have substance because be stuffed if I know where it went wrong.

Atley has kicked one goal against gws in his whole career. Must be thinking of another game sir.

I was also at that game in Sydney. I think it was JMac who kicked 3 that day. He certainly kicked the first two of the game (one on each foot).

Atley and NDS both returned that week from being dropped.

From the Blues board:

Screenshot_20210330-193607_Gallery.jpg

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Didn't realise he was FA this year. Wouldn't be the worst thing if a team thinks it can use his pace in how the game's played now and we get a ~3rd rounder as compo.

Back