Review Round 2, 2021 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drapes11

Debutant
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd completely forgotten how dirty that game last year at the SCG was from Geelong too. It does seem like a tactic against us - they think they can bully our team. And to be honest, it was quite successful last year.
Yes and Rohan should have been cited at least twice in that game for late and high hits on Lester. He is a grub

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd completely forgotten how dirty that game last year at the SCG was from Geelong too. It does seem like a tactic against us - they think they can bully our team. And to be honest, it was quite successful last year.
With an emerging team of young players on the way up the old dogs always try and bully you.

The dominant teams of any era have invariably been the biggest bullies and the most physical.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Honestly we don’t have any player apart from Mitch Robinson that scare opposition players.

We’re a pretty vanilla, good citizens team.

Honestly we don’t have any player apart from Mitch Robinson that scare opposition players.

We’re a pretty vanilla, good citizens team.
Rotten Harris Andrews is starting to get a bit nasty

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Who do Geelong have?
Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins all scare opposition fans, either because they’re hard to stop or they play on the edge.

This was a discussion on a podcast recently, where they went through most of the top 8 teams, and when they came to the Lions they said apart from Mitch there weren’t any other fly the flag types in our best 22.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins all scare opposition fans, either because they’re hard to stop or they play on the edge.

This was a discussion on a podcast recently, where they went through most of the top 8 teams, and when they came to the Lions they said apart from Mitch there weren’t any other fly the flag types in our best 22.

I’d be more than happy with those guys trying to hurt players and not getting heaps of the footy and kicking goals.

They don’t scare because they are scary.
They are scary because they are good.

SDG72

Senior List
Oct 10, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Yes and Rohan should have been cited at least twice in that game for late and high hits on Lester. He is a grub
Agreed. This is what I recall of Rohan lasted year. He has form and excuse the pun but deserved his “whack”.
However I would call him a snipper.
Hope C Scott is comfortable with that!

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What about Darcy Gardiner. McCarthy got rubbed out once. So too Harris Andrews for a vicious behind the play wallop. Dan Rich for a ferocious tackle. McStay got rubbed out for an above the head attack on his opponent .

Payne will be really scary when he starts to throw his weight around. CEY ,I saw him bump a bloke to the ground with his chest.

Na, we got lots of mean scary players . Haven't even got to Fullarton or Ballenden yet, look at the size of those guys.

What about Darcy Gardiner. McCarthy got rubbed out once. So too Harris Andrews for a vicious behind the play wallop. Dan Rich for a ferocious tackle. McStay got rubbed out for an above the head attack on his opponent .

Payne will be really scary when he starts to throw his weight around. CEY ,I saw him bump a bloke to the ground with his chest.

Na, we got lots of mean scary players . Haven't even got to Fullarton or Ballenden yet, look at the size of those guys.

Ballenden will never be intimidating regardless of size.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I wouldn't say the Premiers 3 out of the last 4 years are overflowing with scary physical players, Dusty scary good, and Lynch is a bit of a sniper, besides that they are great because they apply relentless pressure in defence and have extreme confidence in their game plan and team mates to play their role.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wouldn't say the Premiers 3 out of the last 4 years are overflowing with scary physical players, Dusty scary good, and Lynch is a bit of a sniper, besides that they are great because they apply relentless pressure in defence and have extreme confidence in their game plan and team mates to play their role.
Maybe things are changing a bit . They're intimidating because of the way they play the game with most of the team built like brick outhouses even if they're not overly tall.

Hawthorn and Geelong were a bit nasty. I'd say our golden era were the last dominant team that was really nasty ,and before that every dominant team was in the nasty category.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Geelong really seemed to lose focus on the game as spitfires started breaking out and we seemed to lift.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rohan was involved in 3 separate incidents in the first quarter in that game and from memory the MRP only looked at one of them and he was fined. He certainly has dog history against us.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I remember our flag team doing the same thing- bullying the young Saints and others.
I forgot to post this in my thoughts on this weeks game, but we need discipline by leaders, including with controlled aggression. If you are going to give away a free, make it worth it, and of course don't get suspended. For us Zorko, Neale, Andrews, Cameron, Robinson all need to make sure they bring the right attitude and get rid of all this head-shaking, arms out, mouthing off and just keep taking their strengths to the next contest until this team is creating scoreboard pressure. THEN DESTROY THE ENEMY!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
They don’t scare because they are scary.
They are scary because they are good.
The discussion was they are both. They’re good and they scare people for the power and aggression they bring to the game.

Same goes for Dusty, Riewoldt and Tom Lynch at the tigers.

Compare to Neale or Tom Mitchell. They’re good, but they don’t scare people.

The discussion was they are both. They’re good and they scare people for the power and aggression they bring to the game.

Same goes for Dusty, Riewoldt and Tom Lynch at the tigers.

Compare to Neale or Tom Mitchell. They’re good, but they don’t scare people.

BRAB knows the answer for this:

Ely-Smith-pictured-at-a-training-session-in-January-is-pushing-for-a-senior-debut-in-2021.jpg

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rohan was involved in 3 separate incidents in the first quarter in that game and from memory the MRP only looked at one of them and he was fined. He certainly has dog history against us.
What do you expect he's coached by that villain Stefano from Bold and the beautiful or at least that's who he thinks he is.
Tosser.
Take that back to your Geelong board Lionbear .

Back