Opinion As a newer fan what do I need to know about the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Big thanks for all the info. It is going to take a while to learn all the players, but I feel like I got a much better understanding of at least a basic narrative of the 60s through to now.

Just a quick question. Is the extra time only during finals or does it happen in the regular season too? How much time is it, and is it sudden death?

Another thing you need to know is that our team is basically the canary in the coal mine:

*After a contentious goal ( ball hit the post) by the Cats in the 2009 Grand final, which played a huge part in our loss, they subsequently brought in goal line camera technology.

*After a draw in the 2010 Grand Final against Collingwood, we all had to show up again for a re-match the following weekend. The momentum was all with us at the time and had there been two extra time periods we could very well have won it. Being at the game for the draw was just the worst feeling. We just couldn’t do it the next week.

After this game, they have subsequently stopped the draw and introduced extra time for the GFs as well.

As we like to say, and say often, “Only St.Kilda.” 🙄

Last edited:
Another thing you need to know is that our team is basically the canary in the coal mine:

*After a contentious goal ( ball hit the post) by the Cats in the 2009 Grand final, which played a huge part in our loss, they subsequently brought in goal line camera technology.

*After a draw in the 2010 Grand Final against Collingwood, we all had to show up again the next weekend for a re-match the following weekend. The momentum was all with us at the time and had there been two extra time periods we could very well have won it. Being at the game for the draw was just the worst feeling. We just couldn’t do it the next week.

After this game, they have subsequently stopped the draw and introduced extra time for the GFs as well.

As we like to say, and say often, “Only St.Kilda.” 🙄
Oh god yes we are the scapegoats for the league for sure.

but because we’re not a “big club” you’ll never hear about that in the media.

just from us fans in the forum. ;)

Close. It’s two ten minute periods with time on - the teams swap sides for these periods too. I think it’s a five minute break between the two periods.
It's actually only two halves of 3 minutes plus time on. Recently changed from 5 minutes plus time on. Never 10 minutes plus time on.

The Saints are quite remarkable in that they still exist as they originally did all the way back in 1873. Other clubs have appeared, changed names, changed identities, merged, relocated, folded. Meanwhile the Saints trundle along as they always have down by the seaside, having faced more adversity, questionable management, and plain bad luck than probably any other professional sport team in the world.

The result is something special. Once you're a Saints fan, you're in for life. It's a truly unique experience and one that leaves you banging your head on the wall more often than not, but also one that produces moments so rewarding it's addictive. Good luck finding that at any other club in the league.

Plenty of Celebs barrack for or are connected to the Saints in some way. A lot of connections to the music industry. Many years ago one of the club's legends (sadly since passed away) had a very nice weekend alone with Cher who was visiting Australia. So the story goes. Sightseeing, picnics, reading books......good wholesome stuff.....

tumblr_mmg75oANQ61qifm00o1_500.gifv

Oh god yes we are the scapegoats for the league for sure.

but because we’re not a “big club” you’ll never hear about that in the media.

just from us fans in the forum. ;)

Haha I definitely can relate to not being the "big club". Ottawa probably has the smallest fan base in Canada (only Winnipeg could be smaller) and is sandwiched between the two most popular (Toronto and Montreal), both of whom are rivals we despise. Toronto actually gets quite a lot of hate across the country/league for being "media darlings".

This kinda leads into another question I had. Is there any Saints focused media? Like over here all the teams will have local radio that has game broadcasts and post game call in shows and what not, and of course local papers will report on the local team. I'm just not sure if the same would be true of the AFL with so many teams based in the Melbourne Metro area.

All you need to know about your new club is that the last time we made it to the grand final we drew it and were made to come back next week and get absolutely pants..... the afl then changed the rules so it would never happen to a another club ever again :tearsofjoy:

Hi all.

You may have seen my posts in some of the other threads, but if you haven't I'm a newer fan from Canada in my second year following the team and AFL.

I just posted this thread to get a better understanding of St Kilda history/culture. If there is anything you think it is important for a Saints fan to know I'd love to here it as my knowledge of our history is basically limited to lots of wooden spoons and one premiership.
The one tip i can give you is Don't , unless you really hate yourself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bloke epitomizes what I love about the Saints:

Just about brings a tear to my eye watching that. Loved Barker, Frawley, Lockett, Harves, Loewe, Winmar, Max, Roo, Milney etc. Lenny is the best I have seen. Bar none!

Boys have done a great job covering the history for you. As a random aside, we have a very strong celebrity following too.

Eric Bana has slipped some Saints references into his movies and is at games all the time. Ed Sheeran was at the game last week (after playing at the funeral of an Australian music icon who was also a mad Saint). Some are other Australian sporting stars like Shane Warne, Glen Maxwell, Sam Stosur or Michael Klim that may not mean too much to you. But pretty sure you can find some pics around of Robbie Williams or Tim McGraw in saints gear.

Just in case a celebrity endorsement helps justify your decision!

Just about brings a tear to my eye watching that. Loved Barker, Frawley, Lockett, Harves, Loewe, Winmar, Max, Roo, Milney etc. Lenny is the best I have seen. Bar none!

Boys have done a great job covering the history for you. As a random aside, we have a very strong celebrity following too.

Eric Bana has slipped some Saints references into his movies and is at games all the time. Ed Sheeran was at the game last week (after playing at the funeral of an Australian music icon who was also a mad Saint). Some are other Australian sporting stars like Shane Warne, Glen Maxwell, Sam Stosur or Michael Klim that may not mean too much to you. But pretty sure you can find some pics around of Robbie Williams or Tim McGraw in saints gear.

Just in case a celebrity endorsement helps justify your decision!

gYVvs00.jpg

Haha I definitely can relate to not being the "big club". Ottawa probably has the smallest fan base in Canada (only Winnipeg could be smaller) and is sandwiched between the two most popular (Toronto and Montreal), both of whom are rivals we despise. Toronto actually gets quite a lot of hate across the country/league for being "media darlings".

This kinda leads into another question I had. Is there any Saints focused media? Like over here all the teams will have local radio that has game broadcasts and post game call in shows and what not, and of course local papers will report on the local team. I'm just not sure if the same would be true of the AFL with so many teams based in the Melbourne Metro area.
There's little Saints focused media, but the podcasts that are posted here are pretty good.
As a small club with a colorful history the local media like to put the boots in to StKilda at every opportunity, but that's part of the joy.
Generally anything from the MSM is pretty rubbish as the "experts" don't even bother with 2 minuets research for their opinion articles. Usually anything printed is 2 years out of date, or an extension of personal bias.

TBH you've picked a good time to jump on board.
The club has the best administration that anyone can remember, and we'll be contending or thereabouts for the next few years unless we f*** it up, which is also very very normal for StKilda.

+1000000000000000000000000000000

Footy has never been the same since Lenny left

+1000000000000000000000000000000

Footy has never been the same since Lenny left

Yep - Lenny has always epitomized to me how footy should be played, hard and skillful without fuss. St Kilda Senators do yourself a favor and watch a bit of him as he is the benchmark!

He along with others deserved a flag. Saints are underdogs, bagged by other supporters and I now do not give a flying .....but am confident where they are now headed with:

Clark
Coffield
Marshall
Howard
Highmore
Battle
Steele
Long
Paton (missing him!)
etc

St Kilda Senators, you picked a great time to get on board. The ride will be bumpy but worth it.

Yep - Lenny has always epitomized to me how footy should be played, hard and skillful without fuss. St Kilda Senators do yourself a favor and watch a bit of him as he is the benchmark!

He along with others deserved a flag. Saints are underdogs, bagged by other supporters and I now do not give a flying .....but am confident where they are now headed with:

Clark
Coffield
Marshall
Howard
Highmore
Battle
Steele
Long
Paton (missing him!)
etc

St Kilda Senators, you picked a great time to get on board. The ride will be bumpy but worth it.
Spot on, it might be bumpy but the roller coaster is always more fun then Ferris Wheel

Clark
Coffield
Marshall
Howard
Highmore
Battle
Steele
Long
Paton (missing him!)
etc

I agree. I think right now is the best time to jump on board the Saints train. We’re still not one of the top teams - were on the way up and we have the perfect blend to get the job done - the off field, the coach, the players. It’s all starting to click.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back