Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't Comben have fitness/injury concerns though ?
There is a ruck/forward called Tristan Xerri who does okay. Only played four senior games but has four goals. We have a plethora of medium foprward talent, from Stephenson to Tarryn Thomas and with three or four guys in between.

I hope the club aims to develop the run and carry corridor game and a forward line built around mobile, medium sized forwards who can mark overhead and in contests.

When we had Brown I used to want to see him used a decoy for those guys and Larkey. We actually did that against Port late in 2019.

Then if Comben comes good great, if not, well who cares.

There is a ruck/forward called Tristan Xerri who does okay. Only played four senior games but has four goals. We have a plethora of medium foprward talent, from Stephenson to Tarryn Thomas and with three or four guys in between.

I hope the club aims to develop the run and carry corridor game and a forward line built around mobile, medium sized forwards who can mark overhead and in contests.

When we had Brown I used to want to see him used a decoy for those guys and Larkey. We actually did that against Port late in 2019.

Then if Comben comes good great, if not, well who cares.

Yeah North fans have to stay positive and stick it out.

Morons like Kane Cornes said we made an all time mistake taking Walsh with pick 1.

I hope for the sake of Phillips development that you don't rush him too quickly into AFL footy on account of pressure mounting on passing on.McDonald.

Two games is way too early to judge these things. Two years will probably too early as well.

I really like Logan McDonald, but surely give them each some time.

The bonus with Phillips playing in the midfield is he'll be back on par pretty quickly. McDonald will have his regularly fluctuations in form as a young key forward, but he's undoubtably started well and looks an astute draft pick. He was rated up with JUH in the eyes of some, but recruiters are far more hesitant to pull the trigger on key forwards early on in the draft.

Phillips isn't Tambling. He isn't soft, and plays the kind of game where at his peak you'll back him in for 25-30 and a goal each week. Was rated pretty closely to Rowell and Anderson in his 17th year, and no reason why he wont be a very solid mid for North, injuries permitting.

I can understand you not understanding good list management given Dodo.

Phillips is a gun and will be as good as Anderson or Rowell if he gets a run at it. But I think we picked him because of his off field qualities (leadership at training etc) as much as onfield ones. We need to get the stench of Brad Scott out of the side and he is part of that process.

Given Dodoro I understand it better than most. Ive seen decades of draft mistakes. Didn’t want Parish at the time for similar reasons.

It’s simple, you pick what you think is best available. The last thing you should be doing is picking for needs with a top 5 pick. Our list isn’t in a state to be picking and choosing, we need quality midfielders as well. Once you start picking for needs you get a McCartin instead of a Petracca. It is impossible to determine who will be better as one player hasn’t played and the other has played 2 games.

Phillips has Hodge like qualities on and off the field. Do you think they regret trading the young highly talented Trent Croad for him?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Phillips over McDonald is taking McCartin. All and sundry rated McDonald higher just like all and sundry rated Petracca higher.

So taller than the most recent Brownlow medallist then, but sure, 'undersized.'

Two Brownlow medalists that are miles off being premiership players. Raking up possessions gets you noticed but it doesn’t make a system work.

North stuffed up big time but Lucky for Mcdonald

Given he will boot 80 this year and win the Coleman, living in Sydney he will be shielded from the public spotlight. If he was in Perth or Melbourne the public attention would see him out of the game after 1 season

Yep, been a complete injury basket case since he was 15, he turns 20 in August, is expected to be back before season's end (we've seen at North that injuries can last an abnormally long amount of time), if he does play let's see how he does.

Hopefully not another Gumbleton. :(

He came out and said "we got the best players in this draft," and then repeated it for about a week. The media also lapped it up.
I'll see if I can find it.

This thread is about north, and they haven't said anything, which is why there'll never be any regret if it does backfire
I mean given we had pick 1 in that draft, I would be surprised if he didn't say we got the best players in the draft after drafting.
If he said otherwise, I'd have asked why didn't he draft them instead?

Looking towards if hypothetically speaking, McDonald requests a trade back to WA in 2 years time, every sniper in the media would owe North an apology.

Maybe, just maybe McDonald said something in his pre draft interview with North that put the Roos off (it's been known to happen)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking towards if hypothetically speaking, McDonald requests a trade back to WA in 2 years time, every sniper in the media would owe North an apology.

Maybe, just maybe McDonald said something in his pre draft interview with North that put the Roos off (it's been known to happen)

Or potentially looking forward we got the better player. There is a lot of water to go under the bridge, especially when you consider Phillips hasn’t played a game.

Phillips bottom age stats stack up with both Rowell and Anderson in their top age year in the same side. Let’s see the kid play before we call it a blunder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He came out and said "we got the best players in this draft," and then repeated it for about a week. The media also lapped it up.
I'll see if I can find it.

This thread is about north, and they haven't said anything, which is why there'll never be any regret if it does backfire
I'm curious to what Wallace said exactly. Though I see most coaches/recruiters pump up the players they selected from the draft.

If it's a case of simply saying Richmond got the best players in the draft then I can't see the issue (even if one of those players ended up being a dud). If he actually saying something about Hawthorn's recruiting then he would have crossed the line and deserve egg on his face.

Last edited:
Logan McDonald has started the year on fire. And has shown he has all the attributes to be a superstar key forward in this league. Did North Melbourne make the biggest draft blunder since Richmond passing on Buddy in 2004?

They are desperate for Key Forward talent and elected to draft a midfielder instead of best player available at a position of need.

Discuss...

The Dogs should’ve taken McDonald over JUH.

McDonald does his knee this weekend and is out for the season, and his future is in doubt.
Suddenly it looks like a smart move by North.

You never know what the future will bring.

Yep. I understand Adelaide taking the local highly ranked kid, but I think it was a mistake not taking Mcdonald
From what I saw on Saturday, that is possibility. Wait and see yet on Thilthorpe, who hasn't played a game yet.

McDonald does his knee this weekend and is out for the season, and his future is in doubt.
Suddenly it looks like a smart move by North.

You never know what the future will bring.

Why tf would that suddenly make their decision any different? Did he give off knee injury vibes in his interview? Also that was a really stupid thing to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why tf would that suddenly make their decision any different? Did he give off knee injury vibes in his interview? Also that was a really stupid thing to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As stupid as the original question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back