Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 2, 2021

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Is it because us doing so plays into our deficiency of ground ball gets? We could be coughing up the ball to a scenario we perform poorly in, as opposed to forcing a stoppage where we back in our structure.
I think you're on the money there.

I suspect that is also why we aren't good at ground ball. We actively try to avoid it, where's other teams structure for it. Dogs swarmed the ball and had players ready to crack in and grabbed the dropped ball. We tried and spread so we can control the game through marks.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
I used to be so ropeable with Bulldog and then Richmond throws. Now I'm wondering why we aren't in on the act.

Dropping is the other thing both teams do well. They let go as soon as tackled and use their body to propel the ball forward so the next player can keep paddling it on.

We simply don't have the cattle to execute it, that's why.

We are the best kicking team in the competition, but our execution by hand (legal or not) is by far the worst of all teams.

Take Duggan against the Bulldogs for example: 7 handballs; 5 were ineffective and 3 lead directly to opposition goals.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

We are the best kicking team in the competition, but our execution by hand (legal or not) is by far the worst of all teams.

Take Duggan against the Bulldogs for example: 7 handballs; 5 were ineffective and 3 lead directly to opposition goals.
O’neill was average against the dogs pressure but his hands in tight excite me a lot.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

Lost the game

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
O’neill was average against the dogs pressure but his hands in tight excite me a lot.

Is easily the best handball under pressure in the team, which says much about the rest of the squad.

If O'Neill adds another 5-10kg and gets to similar proportions as Shuey or Cotchin, he could end up being a very handy player for us.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Ac
Is easily the best handball under pressure in the team, which says much about the rest of the squad.

If O'Neill adds another 5-10kg and gets to similar proportions as Shuey or Cotchin, he could end up being a very handy player for us.
According to the AFL app, he’s only 2kg’s lighter than cotch and actually a decent size. Reckon he’ll get better with experience. So far in his 7 game career he’s had some genuine cut throat games with high intensity. Rnd 1 was his best easily and was on track last week for a decent game before he dropped off in the second half.

on one hand I wanna see Brander in the guts soon but on the other hand I’m a huge fan of X and wanna see us back him in.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Ac

According to the AFL app, he’s only 2kg’s lighter than cotch and actually a decent size. Reckon he’ll get better with experience. So far in his 7 game career he’s had some genuine cut throat games with high intensity. Rnd 1 was his best easily and was on track last week for a decent game before he dropped off in the second half.

on one hand I wanna see Brander in the guts soon but on the other hand I’m a huge fan of X and wanna see us back him in.
I know it's a poor measurement but I've seen him at Vic Park Coles a few times and was shocked at how lean he is compared to how he looks on TV. I suppose all AFL players are probably like that - strong legs and lean upper body.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I know it's a poor measurement but I've seen him at Vic Park Coles a few times and was shocked at how lean he is compared to how he looks on TV. I suppose all AFL players are probably like that - strong legs and lean upper body.
Yeah It’s an AFL player thing. I’ve bumped into Yeo and he doesn’t seem that built. Jk looks lean when I’ve seen him in RL

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast

I'd have Nicnat ahead (which again says something, being a ruckman), but otherwise totally agree.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Nic played like 72%(?) Of total game time this weekend yeah?

Thats good, very good.

He's never going to be an aerobic beast like Goldstein, but if we can continue to creep high up his total game time just a little higher to maybe 75-80% of game time we should all be happy with that 👍

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders

I honestly don’t know why there is a debate about O’Neill. Play the kid, it’s not like he’s blocking anyone else’s path. Find out what we have.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Just sayin' ... not taking anything away from the Dogs who look very good ... BUT ... they ran over us at the end of the game. We played in heat, travelled and had two days less rest ... just sayin'.

We came up with plenty of excuses as to why we lost to Richmond last year too, and why it wouldn't matter in the end.
And why we couldn't beat a top 4 side in 2019. Funnily enough we couldn't do it in the finals either (then blamed the timing of Willie's suspension).

Team shat the bed in the last and blew what should have been a three goal lead (thanks Crippa).

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We came up with plenty of excuses as to why we lost to Richmond last year too, and why it wouldn't matter in the end.
And why we couldn't beat a top 4 side in 2019. Funnily enough we couldn't do it in the finals either (then blamed the timing of Willie's suspension).

Team shat the bed in the last and blew what should have been a three goal lead (thanks Crippa).
Its true you cant keep consistantly losing games to other top four contenders and expect to win premierships. It was a terrible loss from two goals up and having a set shot 15m out directly in front late in the final quarter. There were some good signs too, but its worrysome that this keeps happening.

Back