briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
C&P a bit of a discussion from eDPS who watched the Sandringham intra club scratch match.
Have you seen anything of Max Heath this year?
Yep rucked well and had some bone crunching tackles

Another one is his understudy Jacob Edwards who has actually outperformed him today, longer term but looks a player
2 goals from Josh Sinn in today’s intra club he played half back and wing. His goal in the last quarter was extraordinary in the wet.

Campbell Chesser had the ball on a string in the middle and wing, lined up on Sinn a little bit in the 2nd half and that was a good battle.

Blake Howes is certainly in the first round frame as a medium forward and Lachlan Benton was also impressive as a small forward.

Caleb Lewis the pick of the KPP playing down back in McAsey‘s old number
Yep pretty much Sandringham list from last year, Carrigan didn’t play due to injury but the likes of Heath and Cleary did. The 19 year old the stuck out to me was Jacob Edwards who is a ruckman. Moves really well and competes really well around the ground and would have had about 5 clearances himself aswell, lighter frame compared to Heath but he looks to have some good potential.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Don’t forget, with Rayner out for the year, we have an available list spot to use at the mid season draft.

Any 19 year old who declared for the draft last year is eligible for the mid season draft.

If our season has gone to crap, and we have a decent pick at the mid season draft, and there’s a good crop of U19’s playing in the Nab League and VFL, we could pick up a long term prospect.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don’t forget, with Rayner out for the year, we have an available list spot to use at the mid season draft.

Any 19 year old who declared for the draft last year is eligible for the mid season draft.

If our season has gone to crap, and we have a decent pick at the mid season draft, and there’s a good crop of U19’s playing in the Nab League and VFL, we could pick up a long term prospect.
Our ruck depth is woeful. Not sure how a 19yr old would fix it but long term it would be a wise decision to jump early.

Both Port and Sydney had a top 5 pick at each of those drafts. Sydney ended up with two.

Early opinions are that the second tier of prospects in this year’s draft are at the same standard as those from the 2018 draft, and it’s probably deeper.

So we could potentially end up with 3 picks in that second tier group if a team wants to trade out a late first round pick (looking at Port if Jase Burgoyne factors in as a potential late first round talent).

can get all three this year if we want.

Sandringham have two good rucks. Max Heath and Jacob Edwards.

Yeah, but we don't need a key forward and I think Butters has passed Rozee, regardless of how good he projects to be. Butters and Duursma for 12 and 18 the kind of draft win I'd love us to pull. Sydney's guns academy related so little harder to compare. Their academy has yielded way more prospects than ours though which is a little disheartening.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yeah, but we don't need a key forward and I think Butters has passed Rozee, regardless of how good he projects to be. Butters and Duursma for 12 and 18 the kind of draft win I'd love us to pull. Sydney's guns academy related so little harder to compare. Their academy has yielded way more prospects than ours though which is a little disheartening.
Sydney’s academy funding probably exceeds all three other northern clubs combined, seeing as QBE sponsor them to tune of $1m per year.

What's their average annual spend?

Just on this it's hard to find any figures on Swans spending presumably because the AFL owns them but

The 27-week program, which costs about $1 million to run, has nine training locations throughout NSW, including three in Sydney and non-traditional AFL centres Newcastle, Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour.

Our report doesn't specify how much we invest in the academy, I assume it falls under football spending or other. However as far back as 2015 Swans were investing $1.2 million in their academy.

I'd be astonished if we were spending even a quarter of that now. How do we close that gap? Obviously in 2015 we were focused on staying alive rather but with the AFL wanting to develop grassroots footy, AFLW, the Springfield facility and us being good again there's got to be a way to channel that to more investment into the academy. I'd like to know what we're spending now. This is supposed to be an equalisation contributor but seems like we are absolutely neglecting it. tbh AFL should be footing a decent portion of the bill, it's for development of the game but we'll have to get the dollars ourselves to properly utilise it.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Just on this it's hard to find any figures on Swans spending presumably because the AFL owns them but

Our report doesn't specify how much we invest in the academy, I assume it falls under football spending or other. However as far back as 2015 Swans were investing $1.2 million in their academy.

I'd be astonished if we were spending even a quarter of that now. How do we close that gap? Obviously in 2015 we were focused on staying alive rather but with the AFL wanting to develop grassroots footy, AFLW, the Springfield facility and us being good again there's got to be a way to channel that to more investment into the academy. I'd like to know what we're spending now. This is supposed to be an equalisation contributor but seems like we are absolutely neglecting it. tbh AFL should be footing a decent portion of the bill, it's for development of the game but we'll have to get the dollars ourselves to properly utilise it.
I don’t have any genuine information sorry. Anecdotally, I’ve heard our academy has the lowest spend of the four northern academies, and everything else I’ve heard appears to back that up.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For what was supposed to be a weak draft few teams did really well out of 2017. Lions, Freo and Eagles laughing.
This is the same Freo who passed on a kid from their reserves team who is now in the discussion for the most promising young key forward in the game? And the same Eagles who didn't grab Tim Kelly and had to trade a fortune for him later on?

This is the same Freo who passed on a kid from their reserves team who is now in the discussion for the most promising young key forward in the game? And the same Eagles who didn't grab Tim Kelly and had to trade a fortune for him later on?

Yeah, that's them. The fact that they've made mistakes doesn't negate the fact that the players they drafted in 2017 look like great picks.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, that's them. The fact that they've made mistakes doesn't negate the fact that the players they drafted in 2017 look like great picks.
I don't think Jarrod Brander has played many senior games yet, correct me if I'm wrong. Brayshaw looks like what he was predicted to be, a good player but not a superstar. Can't say I've paid enough attention to know how good Cerra is, but it sounds like Serong is the most impressive youngster they have and he wasn't 2017.

Also, the claim was that they're "laughing", but I wouldn't be if I were either of those clubs.

Our ruck depth is woeful. Not sure how a 19yr old would fix it but long term it would be a wise decision to jump early.
For me, it would on whether we're still in contention for a flag run or not. Oscar is hurt already and if he sustains another injury, I'd want a mature ruck to help get us into the finals and beyond. I've previously mentioned Corey Gault of Swan Districts, but I'd be happy with anyone who looks impressive at state league level and has a mature body.

It's only if we continue to have a shocker of a season and essentially give up on it where I'd be fine with selecting a 19 year old prospect. We already have Henry Smith if we're bent on throwing a young ruck into the fire.

I don't think Jarrod Brander has played many senior games yet, correct me if I'm wrong.

How are Liam Ryan and Oscar Allen going?

Brayshaw looks like what he was predicted to be, a good player but not a superstar. Can't say I've paid enough attention to know how good Cerra is, but it sounds like Serong is the most impressive youngster they have and he wasn't 2017.

Come on, man. Brayshaw has looked great since the second half of last year and he's looked even better this year. Cerra might be even better. Both look great.

Also, the claim was that they're "laughing", but I wouldn't be if I were either of those clubs.

Ask the supporters how they feel about them.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I don't think Jarrod Brander has played many senior games yet, correct me if I'm wrong. Brayshaw looks like what he was predicted to be, a good player but not a superstar. Can't say I've paid enough attention to know how good Cerra is, but it sounds like Serong is the most impressive youngster they have and he wasn't 2017.

For me, it would on whether we're still in contention for a flag run or not. Oscar is hurt already and if he sustains another injury, I'd want a mature ruck to help get us into the finals and beyond. I've previously mentioned Corey Gault of Swan Districts, but I'd be happy with anyone who looks impressive at state league level and has a mature body.

It's only if we continue to have a shocker of a season and essentially give up on it where I'd be fine with selecting a 19 year old prospect. We already have Henry Smith if we're bent on throwing a young ruck into the fire.
71DBC39A-50EF-4291-B4FA-175603F5A013.jpeg

Brayshaw and Cerra led the Freo midfield on the weekend.

Serong has looked good because he doesn’t have to do it all, and his skill set meshes perfectly with Brayshaw and Cerra.

Yes Fremantle could use Allen, but he was never discussed as a potential top 10 pick. So Freo never passed on him.

And West Coast couldn’t pick all the WA talent. They drafted the two best tall talents available at their first two picks, and hoped Tim Kelly would fall to their next pick.

A lot of WA draft watchers were dirty on Brisbane selecting Starcevich, thinking he would fall to mid draft.

A lot of good WA kids in the first 25 picks, that WC and Freo couldn’t pick them all.

Brisair

Rookie
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Both Port and Sydney had a top 5 pick at each of those drafts. Sydney ended up with two.

Early opinions are that the second tier of prospects in this year’s draft are at the same standard as those from the 2018 draft, and it’s probably deeper.

So we could potentially end up with 3 picks in that second tier group if a team wants to trade out a late first round pick (looking at Port if Jase Burgoyne factors in as a potential late first round talent).

can get all three this year if we want.

Sandringham have two good rucks. Max Heath and Jacob Edwards.
Max Heath would be a a massive get and I believe he barracks for the Lions. Walsh would be my next choice, his ruck craft and aggressiveness have been highlighted. Jacob Edwards is still very unproven. Not a great engine though.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ask the supporters how they feel about them.
I have better things to do with my life.

Brayshaw and Cerra led the Freo midfield on the weekend.
Good to see, stats look impressive.

Yes Fremantle could use Allen, but he was never discussed as a potential top 10 pick. So Freo never passed on him.
I was referring to Aaron Naughton, who was.

And West Coast couldn’t pick all the WA talent. They drafted the two best tall talents available at their first two picks, and hoped Tim Kelly would fall to their next pick.
And had to pay a big ransom to do so, but such is life.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Max Heath would be a a massive get and I believe he barracks for the Lions. Walsh would be my next choice, his ruck craft and aggressiveness have been highlighted. Jacob Edwards is still very unproven. Not a great engine though.
You must have a Max Heath radar. Where ever he’s mentioned, you pop up. The North board, the St Kilda board, VFL board, etc.

How much of Sandy do you watch?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I have better things to do with my life.

Good to see, stats look impressive.

I was referring to Aaron Naughton, who was.

And had to pay a big ransom to do so, but such is life.
Naughton wasn’t considered a top 5 pick or a forward heading in to the draft.

Was considered the best tall defender in the draft crop, and viewed more in the 10 to 15 range. Was a bit of a surprise when the Doggies were linked to him just before the draft.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Naughton wasn’t considered a top 5 pick or a forward heading in to the draft.

Was considered the best tall defender in the draft crop, and viewed more in the 10 to 15 range. Was a bit of a surprise when the Doggies were linked to him just before the draft.
Freo were linked to him before the draft however, and many speculated that they'd trade back a few spots to take him. You know as well as I do that many young KPPs move around when they're young. Ben King was talked about as moving to defence pre-draft for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back