Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara 2021 (Rolling into year 5)

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The welcome to Hawthorn thread was closed because it was decided he (JOM) had 'made it' at the Hawks and the mega trade was justified. 5 years on how is it looking?

The picks swaps went everywhere but below were the picks we had/acquired and who was available soon after or picked are highlighted below. Yes the draft is not a perfect science but anyway.

I have not even bothered looking at who was picked with the future second rounder from Carlton.

EDIT: This is not intended to be a JOM bashing thread just a reflection in time.

OUT:

Pick 10 (traded in from St Kilda then out to Gold Coast) - Jack Bowes (Academy Player) emerging this year looks like a very good player. Potential Gun.

Pick 23 (traded in from Fremantle for Brad Hill then out to St Kilda for pick 10) - Ended up with Brisbane and the selection of Alex Witherden

Pick 36 (traded to St Kilda for pick 10) - NMFC Bust player delisted (Tom Stewart Geelong taken 3 picks later)

Pick 48 (traded in from Melbourne for Jordan Lewis then out to Carlton for future second rounder) Pick used by Pies on Darcy Cameron (Willie Rioli, Jack Graham selected soon after. Graham looks like a developing into a very good player)

Pick 66 (traded in from Melbourne for Jordan Lewis then out to Carlton for future second rounder) Luke Ryan Fremantle B&F winner selected with this pick

Pick 70 (traded in from West Coast for Sam Mitchell then out to Carlton for future second rounder) Fergus Green (WBS) 5 games and Nick Larkey North taken two picks later.

2017 first round pick (traded to St Kilda for pick 10) Hunter Clark selected and developing well at the Saints.

Carlton’s 2017 second round pick (on-traded to Gold Coast)

Interestingly we picked up Morrison (Pick 74) and Mitchel-Lewis (Pick 76) at the back end.

IN:

Jaeger O’Meara:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
I think it would be hard to argue that we didn't overpay for him. We probably underestimated the impact of his injuries as he hasn't become the player we hoped he would be for us.

However he is still a bull and tries his guts out.

Also we managed to get Tom Mitchell & Jaeger O'Meara in the same off-season, pretty amazing we pulled that off looking back.

We paid overs for JOM, we paid unders for TOM. Not that bad in the overall scheme. Plus imagine how poor our midfield would've been without that off-season.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He has just turned 27 and is definitely good enough to play for another 5.

I think the trade was slightly overvalued but he has had to do a lot of work while some of our best have had injuries, which makes his output harder to gauge

He still has the talent and drive to play multiple roles in the team, still plenty of time to work out if it was justified...

I will state this again. If JOM was afforded the luxury of sticking to one half of the field like Dusty he would be as influential. He busts a gut running defensively to cover the holes in our structure. He and shiels were spent at 3qtr time doing just that

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The welcome to Hawthorn thread was closed because it was decided he (JOM) had 'made it' at the Hawks and the mega trade was justified. 5 years on how is it looking?

The picks swaps went everywhere but below were the picks we had/acquired and who was available soon after or picked are highlighted below. Yes the draft is not a perfect science but anyway.

I have not even bothered looking at who was picked with the future second rounder from Carlton.

EDIT: This is not intended to be a JOM bashing thread just a reflection in time.

OUT:

Pick 10 (traded in from St Kilda then out to Gold Coast) - Jack Bowes (Academy Player) emerging this year looks like a very good player. Potential Gun.

Pick 23 (traded in from Fremantle for Brad Hill then out to St Kilda for pick 10) - Ended up with Brisbane and the selection of Alex Witherden

Pick 36 (traded to St Kilda for pick 10) - NMFC Bust player delisted (Tom Stewart Geelong taken 3 picks later)

Pick 48 (traded in from Melbourne for Jordan Lewis then out to Carlton for future second rounder) Pick used by Pies on Darcy Cameron (Willie Rioli, Jack Graham selected soon after. Graham looks like a developing into a very good player)

Pick 66 (traded in from Melbourne for Jordan Lewis then out to Carlton for future second rounder) Luke Ryan Fremantle B&F winner selected with this pick

Pick 70 (traded in from West Coast for Sam Mitchell then out to Carlton for future second rounder) Fergus Green (WBS) 5 games and Nick Larkey North taken two picks later.

2017 first round pick (traded to St Kilda for pick 10) Hunter Clark selected and developing well at the Saints.

Interestingly we picked up Morrison (Pick 74) and Mitchel-Lewis (Pick 76) at the back end.

IN:

Jaeger O’Meara
So Gold Coast really stuffed up the trade - they used the pick they got on academy points - such a waste - clubs always make sure they trade out higher picks for more points - they should have just taken the pick swap we did with the Saints.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can you summarise players in & players out. i dont think what you've written is correct.
It is pretty complicated. I have just tried to stick to the picks we had/aquired. I have no doubt there are a few nuances I have missed. For instance we traded our future first (2017) for the Saints pick 10 (2016). This is after trading 2016 picks 14 and 52 for TOM. Was an astounding effort by the Hawks in an attempt to rebuild the midfield on the fly.

Last edited:

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

OUT:

IN:

Jaeger O’Meara
you can't say pick 10 and 2017 first went out - we never had both

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I will state this again. If JOM was afforded the luxury of sticking to one half of the field like Dusty he would be as influential. He busts a gut running defensively to cover the holes in our structure. He and shiels were spent at 3qtr time doing just that
As influential as Dusty? Laughable.

We paid superstar rates and got a hard working foot solider. It happens. As a footballer he’s been a disappointment for us (the injuries ruined his potential) but as a person and professional he has been exemplary.

O’Meara disposal and decision making are very ordinary and he is part of a midfield support crew (with Worpel and Shiels) for Mitchell who are all similar and just don’t do much with the footy. This is our fifth year of going in with that sort of midfield mix surrounding Mitchell and it just won’t work. We will win some games here and there but we won’t go anywhere with that mix.

Worpel’s age and scope for improvement warrant perseverance in the midfield but he still needs to add more strings to his bow. But O’Meara needs a new primary role - either defensive midfielder or in the forward half. I doubt Shiels can reinvent himself at this stage of his career. We should be experimenting with younger players who offer something different in there. No more Burgoyne in the middle. Wingard in there when he returns - he gives a point of difference

Last edited:

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is pretty complicated. I have just tried to stick to the picks we had/aquired. I have no doubt there are a few nuances I have missed. For instance we traded our future first (2017) for the Saints pick 10 (2016). This is after trading 2016 picks 14 and 52 for TOM. Was an astounding effort by the Hawks in an attempt to rebuild the midfield on the fly.
it was 14 and 52 for Mitchell and 57

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd say he's got another four or five years with us at this stage, as it stands I think he has been very serviceable for us but has potentially suffered as 4p has suggested from having to cover too much.
I'm honestly comfortable with how he's performed considering how much he's had to do, if we provided him with a little more defensive support (ie Worps was able to take more of the defensive midfield load) I think we'd see him play a much stronger offensive brand.
Off his two games this year I'd say he's still on that upwards trajectory we'd all hoped for, hopefully he continues that for a while to come!

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cross out everything after pick 36. The rest are nothing picks as likely to turn up a talent as rookie picks.

So we paid Pick 10, 23 and 36.
Fair enough given the difficulties Cochrane posed. Not outrageous.
Pick 10 should have been enough, but I can't say I pine for what could have been with picks 23 and 36!

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know st kilda got Ben long, battle and hunter Clark out of our pick exchange with them. Safe to say they won that trade.

As for JOM, we definitely overpaid. And I think what we were trying to do was never going to work. But once you commit to an idea you at least try to make it work for the first year. So we had to get him over, even at the increased price.

As influential as Dusty? Laughable.

We paid superstar rates and got a hard working foot solider. It happens. As a footballer he’s been a disappointment for us (the injuries ruined his potential) but as a person and professional he has been exemplary.

O’Meara disposal and decision making are very ordinary and he is part of a midfield support crew (with Worpel and Shiels) for Mitchell who are all similar and just don’t do much with the footy. This is our fifth year of going in with that sort of midfield mix surrounding Mitchell and it just won’t work. We will win some games here and there but we won’t go anywhere with that mix.

Worpel’s age and scope for improvement warrant perseverance in the midfield but he still needs to add more strings to his bow. But O’Meara needs a new primary role - either defensive midfielder or in the forward half. I doubt Shiels can reinvent himself at this stage of his career. We should be experimenting with younger players who offer something different in there. No more Burgoyne in the middle. Wingard in there when he returns - he gives a point of difference
Yes i shouldn't have said as influential. Dusty is the best player in the game. I meant to say he would get his 30+ possessions per game

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As for what we paid etc etc as per the thread - it's subjective because we may have been able to trade for someone else with those picks, instead of worrying about who picked up who with them etc - How long is a piece of string.

The problem remains our midfield starting 4 are all similar etc - so one player can't be blamed, but as a group something needs to change, whether that's trading one, I don't know, because they are not effective elsewhere on the ground to be multi positional players. Maybe Worps is young enough to become good enough as a HF who relieves in the middle, since him and Mitchel just don't seem to be able to work together. And having both Mitchell and Worps not being great at defensively (more so Mitchell) it hurts the whole side.

Worps has up side, Mitch won a brownlow, and Shiels is going nowhere. So we cop another 3yrs of sameness waiting for Shiels to retire and Worps and Mitch to get it together together - which doesn't like likely either.

Meanwhile JoM's strength, which is in the guts in the thick of it, is being hurt because two others don't seem to be able to get it together either defensively or offensively.

I understand why we have this thread but their are two others, 3 last year when Shiels had a shocker, that play a huge role in how well JoM can play.

It's the 4 together that is not working - if they are still not working at years end, with no injuries to them, what do we do then?

I won't be happy at all if Worps ends up at the handbags - and I won't be disappointed if JoM ended up elsewhere..............that's the most diplomatic way I can put it.

May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he shed some weight I think it would be better. Needed him as a bull in 2019 due to no Mitchell.
And I thank him for shouldering that heavy load. But he needs to drop a few kg if we want a mid with explosive speed.
If you watch him he still does have that speed, whether his knee stops him from doing it all the time...I dont know. You'd have to ask him.

More worried about Titch defensively atm, was one of our best tacklers in 2018. Now not so much.

Edit: 6.5 2018
4.4 2020
3.5 2021

derp de derp

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cornes was wrong labelling it the worst trade ever. Sure we would like to get more out of him but even if he and Tom don’t reach premiership heights the roles they fill now that allows us to rebuild will be invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Dunno what we do with JOM.

Think if we could have turned him into an explosive player it would have happened by now.

His body appears to let him be a grinder - he racks up a lot of km at average speed but with limited high intensity sprints. Which is sort of the opposite of what we need from him and the way the game is moving (less stoppages, transition speed is key)

He doesn’t have the strength/power/explosiveness to be a true inside bull nor the footskills to be a receiver/outside kicker. His lack of agility means he struggles if doesn’t impact the first contest.

issue would be lessened if didn’t have similar issues with Mitchell and worpel.

The trade price was effectively either of the below combinations:
*colour coded based on which picks were used to obtain pick 10.

A: Pick 10 + 2017 2nd rounder (pick 26)

OR

B: 2017 1st rounder (pick 7) + pick 23 + pick 36 + 2017 2nd rounder (pick 26) (also technically deduct the value of pick 68 but it's not worth much so can ignore for simplicity)

Option B is obviously a lot more on paper and hinged on us not dropping down the ladder as we ended up doing in 2017.

Had we gone on to win the flag in 2017 then we'd have effectively paid:

C: pick 17 (2017) + pick 23 (2016) + pick 34 (2017) + pick 36 (2016)

Which given we'd won a flag would totally have made it worth it.

But let's just be thankful we didn't end up with the spoon...

D: pick 1 (2017) + pick 20 (2017) + pick 23 (2016) + pick 36 (2016)

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say we've paid a lot for him based on the return of raw on-field output. But he does bring leadership and sets standards on and off the field which are things that are less obvious to see and harder to evaluate fairly.

At the very least the cost has been somewhat mitigated by the fact that we did insanely well with our remaining picks. Morrison (pick 74), Mitch Lewis (pick 77), Hanrahan (pick 14 rookie), Cousins (pick 46 rookie). And we ended up scoring 2016 pick 7 talent Jack Scrimshaw a few years for very little anyway.

End of the day St Kilda made off like bandits at both our and Gold Coast's expense due to Gold Coast's (ie. Cochrane) desire to screw us around. The deal could have been done and dusted early with us paying far less and Gold Coast ultimately receiving more value, which then would have allowed both clubs time to further refine their draft hands and both walk away as winners.

Last edited:
Back