Preview Round 3: Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood Magpies, 1st April at Marvel Stadium, 5:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time travel this post a few years back and replace Ah Chee with Rich.
The fact is Rich was not totally suited for the M/F permanently but when we deteriorated as a side he was the best young attacking prospect we had. His injury slowed him up a bit further and we had not much alternative but to throw him down back which as it turns out is his natural position.

Ah Chee is a lot different to Rich at the same stage imo. Rich was polished. Gun kick. Ah Chee is athletic and talented , just lacking in confidence ,will play best when he's let loose.

Are they on the wing?
Flank?
97240s.png

I'm not against trialling players in different positions, but when we're losing games while experimenting with players in different positions to the ones that are proven to work, maybe it's best to go with what they're better at for a while. Charlie played better in the second half against Geelong when we let him be a leading full-forward again, rather than a midfielder.
Pretty much what I believe we should be doing.

My take on the current situation is, that we know we have to adapt our game plan to suit the new style of play, but we don’t have the players on our list to make those changes, or Fagan is very reluctant to make wholesale changes required, as the team would become drastically younger, and we’d become a middle six team, either just making or missing finals, but definitely not a genuine flag contender.

So we find ourselves in a damned if you do, damned if don’t situation.

What we’re currently trying is not working.

Our old game plan doesn’t suit the new rules, so we’ve tried introducing new players (Sharp) to the team, and moving more players through the midfield rotation, but we’re still mostly playing the old game plan.

We don’t have the elite kicks (apart from Rich) or the run and carry from the back half that appears to be more successful due to the game opening up.

Nor do we have genuine pace (apart from Bailey) in the midfield, or elite kicking from the midfield and wings (apart from McCluggage).

So we need to reset our game plan, but don’t have the players to do it. Or we have the players, Sharp, Prior, Madden, Ely and Dev. But if we bring so many new and young players in, we’re more than likely not making finals this year.

Got my ticket, needed 4 together and didn't login until 10:30 so ended up somewhere up the back in aisle 29. The category was called "beyond premium". There's two ways you could interpret that...

Pretty much what I believe we should be doing.

My take on the current situation is, that we know we have to adapt our game plan to suit the new style of play, but we don’t have the players on our list to make those changes, or Fagan is very reluctant to make wholesale changes required, as the team would become drastically younger, and we’d become a middle six team, either just making or missing finals, bthrowing some players around and adding a couple of new onesut definitely not a genuine flag contender.

So we find ourselves in a damned if you do, damned if don’t situation.

What we’re currently trying is not working.

Our old game plan doesn’t suit the new rules, so we’ve tried introducing new players (Sharp) to the team, and moving more players through the midfield rotation, but we’re still mostly playing the old game plan.

We don’t have the elite kicks (apart from Rich) or the run and carry from the back half that appears to be more successful due to the game opening up.

Nor do we have genuine pace (apart from Bailey) in the midfield, or elite kicking from the midfield and wings (apart from McCluggage).

So we need to reset our game plan, but don’t have the players to do it. Or we have the players, Sharp, Prior, Madden, Ely and Dev. But if we bring so many new and young players in, we’re more than likely not making finals this year.
Great analysis except we've been hampered by Neale being nowhere near as effective and Rayner's injury which has exacerbated the fact that we look a bit sluggish. We showed on Friday that we can still claw our way into games even without a ruck.

I guess we have to make a decision very soon ,do we persist with what's got us where it has ,or do we compromise it by throwing some players around and adding a couple of new ones whom we persist with.

It's going to be dictated to by results. If we put ourselves back in the frame by winning games then we'll probably still go with Plan A and if we fall off the main pack then don't have much choice but to try and find players who can adapt to the way the game is being played this year and likely in the future.

I agree briztoon we been lacking speed the last few years
New rules we look like we running in mud.
I like the new rules opened things up.. Although you need speed and elite kicks now.
We lacking in both.

I be either trying Madden or someone HB and move Ah Chee up the ground.
Was hoping Birchall kicking help break the line although seen nothing first 2 games.
Do we move Bailey back again?
AhChee forward takes Kiddy spot
I agree we not used CEY in inside mid role since he got here.

Charlie played better when he was #1 target.. I think end of 2019 a few teams started putting a tall who likes to wrestle. Grimes etc
2020 we started kicking to Hippy more.. Now Joe as well.
He can still crumb although we not giving him the forward 50 to run in now.

Not sure we're making finals with our current game plan either. And even if we are, I doubt it wins the flag this year. What's the point in resisting change if it gives you no shot at a flag? At least embracing change gives us a chance next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is Rich was not totally suited for the M/F permanently but when we deteriorated as a side he was the best young attacking prospect we had. His injury slowed him up a bit further and we had not much alternative but to throw him down back which as it turns out is his natural position.

Ah Chee is a lot different to Rich at the same stage imo. Rich was polished. Gun kick. Ah Chee is athletic and talented , just lacking in confidence ,will play best when he's let loose.

From memory there was a game last year where Ah Chee played in the forward line and kicked a few goals. He's a natural forward/attacking player

Got my ticket, needed 4 together and didn't login until 10:30 so ended up somewhere up the back in aisle 29. The category was called "beyond premium". There's two ways you could interpret that...

Yeah first I noticed too was ‘beyond premium’. ‘Semi-nosebleed’ would be more apt.

34 for me level 3 so yep looks like they’re putting us together all top level save for the cheer squad.

Wasn’t confident Oscar would get up for this. Think I’ll be putting the VC on Grundy ;)

Not sure we're making finals with our current game plan either. And even if we are, I doubt it wins the flag this year. What's the point in resisting change if it gives you no shot at a flag? At least embracing change gives us a chance next year.
20 rounds to go and you've thrown in the towel? Hopefully our players are more resilient. I think we should still make finals this year which will be valuable experience for our younger guys.

got L1-4.. not where I like to pick being so low and one end..
tried a few times all around the same spot opposite ends
friends elsewhere now.. So meet up before and after game. on L3 think opposite side from us :(

At some point we could be forced to do this.
For mind it showed last year and the year before we had to change our plan from bombing it forward or even bombing it down the line all the time.
It's a crying shame Fages took away the licence to take the game on with 45 degree kicks , switches for eg. in favour of territory footy employing a big kick forward.
This is the road we have taken so this is where we are at, and it stopped the bleeding at the time.
As Davemc said possibly throw Bailey back to give us other options, get our run back.
He could then link up with Ah Chee on the wing for some over lapping running.

Is there any point in playing Ballenden and Fullarton against Grundy, he will beat both anyway ? I'd Go Ballenden and bring in a smaller player for Fullarton.

Apart from actual ruckwork they could be handy. Ballenden is a great kick and Fullartons hands are quite good dishing the footy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back