Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

What sort of measure is that? Yeah Merret was elite in 2016, but of course Dunkley wasn't. He was 19 a 19 year old in his first season. If you're only point of comparison is the amount of elite seasons they've had of course the player who was drafted earlier has more opportunities to reach that.

Again, no one is arguing that Merrett isn't the better player, but if you're inviting a comparison you've got to have some sort of objective measure.
So Merrett being elite in 5 of his 7 seasons so far is irrelevant because Dunkley has only been elite in half a year out of his 5 seasons so far.

There is one. The fact that Merrett has been elite for the entirety of Dunkley's career. That's just how it is.

What sort of measure is that? Yeah Merret was elite in 2016, but of course Dunkley wasn't. He was 19 a 19 year old in his first season. If you're only point of comparison is the amount of elite seasons they've had of course the player who was drafted earlier has more opportunities to reach that.

Again, no one is arguing that Merrett isn't the better player, but if you're inviting a comparison you've got to have some sort of objective measure.

statistically Merrett is better in key categories.........(bar hit outs :drunk::$.......), there's simply no debate around it

but in saying that Dunkley is quite obviously younger - there is no reason why Dunkley cant out perform Merrett now he's playing genuine mid field more often, we will have to see how that goes - this is really the only thing people should be discussing.

There is an obvious reason why Essendon made a significant play for him and an even more obvious reason that the dogs wanted 2 first round picks for him. No other player in the history of the game has gone for 2 first round picks that hasn't made an AA team.

Last edited:
If Merrett is SO much better and more elite than Dunkley then just pay him and keep him. Assume he’d love the bigger crowds and huge midfield role he gets at Essendon.... oh wait.

he asked for a trade to essendon........I guess next time we just ignore it?

Its pretty funny you think we wanted the dogs to roll over. Essendon's offer to the Bulldogs was more than fair overs for Dunkley based on his performance. No player in HISTORY has ever gone for 2 first round picks that has never made an AA team.

There is a difference between fair overs and obscene overs. The dogs wanted the later which is fair enough for them but in no way was it a "roll over" option.
Yes because you convinced him to then expected the Dogs to get SFA for him. What you were giving and the Dogs were getting from the trade is the reason anyone with half a brain knew it was never going to happen.

statistically Merrett is better in key categories.........(bar hit outs :drunk::$.......), there's simply no debate around it

but in saying that Dunkley is quite obviously younger - there is no reason why Dunkley cant out perform Merrett now he's playing genuine mid field more often, we will have to see how that goes - this is really the only thing people should be discussing.

There is an obvious reason why Essendon made a significant play for him and an even more obvious reason that the dogs wanted 2 first round picks for him. No other player in the history of the game has gone for 2 first round picks that hasn't made an AA team.
I am sure Adam Treloar got traded to Collingwood for 2 first rounders and he never made the AA team when he got traded

Yes because you convinced him to then expected the Dogs to get SFA for him. What you were giving and the Dogs were getting from the trade is the reason anyone with half a brain knew it was never going to happen.
Essendon might find it a lot harder to convince him this time around

I think Richmond will be monitoring some midfielders that are out of contract like Adam Cerra, etc Dunkley maybe one of them.

That is extremely debateable, and Merrett has been significantly better every other year Dunkley's been in the AFL.
How so? Same average disposals - Dunks lead in marks, goals, tackles, contested possessions, disposal efficiency, contested marks, clearances, 1 %ers, stoppage clearances & score involvements. With less clanger's and turn overs. Its why he made the AA squad and Zac missed.

But debate away - not sure how you can claim Merrett was better.

This is a hard one.
I would give 2 firsts for him, but they're likely to be late so probably doesnt get it done.
If Dunkley wanted to leave and join Richmond he only has one year left on his contract so we can’t play hard ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dunkley wanted to leave and join Richmond he only has one year left on his contract so we can’t play hard ball.

Would 2 picks in the teens get it done?

I dont know what players you would want that we could afford to lose?

Conveniently ignoring the second rounder that Collingwood got back there.
I'm pretty confident if Essendon offered two first rounder for Dunkley and a second it's likely the deal would have been done.
We'll never know for sure and now that Dunkley and Treloar are heterosexual life partners a la Jay and Silent Bob it's likely Dunkley stays (until Treloar's contract is up, anyway)

Ironically, a developing ruck/KPD would help.
Or one of your 800 AFL-quality small forwards (in that role you've probably got guys playing VFL that would be playing in the seniors for us)

As others have said, an AFL standard small forward could be a part of any theoretical trade. Aarts/Rioli + pick.

We've been injecting a lot of speed into our side to suit the evolving game plan. We will need a long term replacement for Duryea, so someone who is a good user, can actually defend and has pace would be nice - i.e. Liam Baker (doubt you'd part with him though). Otherwise CCJ or Chol. Theoretically someone like Balta or Bolton would be ideal but both are clearly untouchable at the Tigers. So in reality, I imagine it's more likely one of the role players + pick

Ironically, a developing ruck/KPD would help.
Or one of your 800 AFL-quality small forwards (in that role you've probably got guys playing VFL that would be playing in the seniors for us)

We are short on rucks/fwds ourselves - The only one we would consider IMO is Chol? But he'd more steak knives than extra value IMO

Our small forward stocks have dried up. Maurice Rioli is the only one not playing at the moment.

Maybe someone like Aarts as part of it, any chance he would leave?

I would suggest he is 100% gettable and far from a lock in our 22, again, not a huge value so probably steak knives again.

Depends on what we have planned for those picks

Well personally I would gladly put up our first this year and next as we have 3 second rounders this year that we can use in an apparently deep draft

As others have said, an AFL standard small forward could be a part of any theoretical trade. Aarts/Rioli + pick.

We've been injecting a lot of speed into our side to suit the evolving game plan. We will need a long term replacement for Duryea, so someone who is a good user, can actually defend and has pace would be nice - i.e. Liam Baker (doubt you'd part with him though). Otherwise CCJ or Chol. Theoretically someone like Balta or Bolton would be ideal but both are clearly untouchable at the Tigers. So in reality, I imagine it's more likely one of the role players + pick

Rioli's at Tigerland would be untouchable IMO, Chol gettable for sure, CCJ apparently Jacks replacement.

Baker just signed.

For all our depth, most are kids and most are mids so wouldnt get a game for you guys anyway.

Caddy of any interest as a medium forward?

Rioli's at Tigerland would be untouchable IMO, Chol gettable for sure, CCJ apparently Jacks replacement.

Baker just signed.

For all our depth, most are kids and most are mids so wouldnt get a game for you guys anyway.

Caddy of any interest as a medium forward?
I felt Caddy would have been a reasonable replacement for Lloyd given he retired unexpectedly, although once Hannan becomes fit I assume he'd be filling that role anyway. As it is, it's unclear whether Wallis has a place in the side long term, even though he won our goalkicking in 2020, so Caddy would probably no longer be a target we'd consider (when we might have previously). Otherwise someone like Nathan Broad might be of interest. Seems we're committed to running with Keath and Gardner as our two KPDs, but could really do with a competent 3rd tall that is good one-on-one (essentially replacing the role Dale Morris used to play). I feel Broad would fit our defence really well, and wouldn't be necessarily untouchable at Richmond.

If we're considering relatively value-less fringe players for steak knives, Ben Miller seems a type we might like - tall, quick and versatile. How's he going so far in the VFL this year?

A Top 10 first and a second is Sweet * All for a player that hasn't even made one AA team?

lol

you should re assess what you think sweet * all is..........

The dogs wanted 2 x Top 10 Picks............This has NEVER been done for a player that has never made an AA team.

A Top 10 first and a second is Sweet fu** All for a player that hasn't even made one AA team?

lol

you should re assess what you think sweet fu** all is..........

The dogs wanted 2 x Top 10 Picks............This has NEVER been done for a player that has never made an AA team.
Where was it ever established that the Dogs wanted two top 10 picks btw? Outside of posturing by random Bigfooty posters, the most I ever saw officially was that we demanded "two good firsts", which doesn't necessarily mean two top 10 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back