Autopsy Rd 2 Blues suffer bitterly disappointing loss to arch rival

Who played well for Carlton in Round 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What you will also see in both games to date is that the opposition kept moving and presenting an option so that their team mate with the ball had a couple of options to kick short too.
This they did all game. We did not.

Not sure if this has been posted. Some of our defensive failures from round 2.

Lol poor Fish.

Had to make 3 efforts there to chase and had no one helping him out and covering Sidebottom in particular.

I did notice that as bad as our midfield's pressure was, our forwards weren't much better outside maybe Fish and Fog. Ball rebounded out of our F50 with ease.

Not sure if you watched the same game as me but, Gibbons kicked 3 goals and was one our best.
But that's only 50% of his job. The other half is without ball. He's great as a deep small and has brilliant goal sense. He's getting an A+ for only 50% of the test. His defensive application is bad. It might be partly structural but he's not laying f50 tackles which is part of his job too.

Lol poor Fish.

Had to make 3 efforts there to chase and had no one helping him out and covering Sidebottom in particular.

I did notice that as bad as our midfield's pressure was, our forwards weren't much better outside maybe Fish and Fog. Ball rebounded out of our F50 with ease.
Looked to me like that one was on Walsh, as was the Adams clearance-follow up.

Watched the first half again yesterday after getting sick of all the flak that Plowman's copped.

Agree entirely with Mick's assessment. Plow could definitely have done better in a few contests, but what was most evident was Willo's inability to get across and help out as the loose man. At least twice Willo was in a perfect position to intercept but just stood there ball watching, with no awareness of the players around him.

Bucks does a good job of isolating Plowman deep inside 50, knowing he'll struggle against the speed and mobility of their smalls (Eliott and Degoey this year, Stephenson last year). Doesn't help when the ball comes in lace out and his fellow defenders aren't there to give him a chop out.

Especially doesn't help that we've got no plan B - Doc no good defensively, Willo average, SPS not strong enough in the air. Saad you'd think would be a good matchup for Elliot but for whatever reason wasn't tried. Hope it's not because we promised him he'd be playing as an attacking defender.

Really let ourselves down in the 4th quarter.

After halftime, we finally figured out what the pies were presenting and they were really going for it with their kicks through the middle because we are terrible at guarding space and we dominated the 3rd when we got our hands on the footy.

At that point we should know what they’re trying to to do and lock up the corridor but nooo we just gave up free kick after free kick in the middle of the park.

It was such an unusual game looking back at it.
I think our pressure is down because we’ve been getting the ball a lot more than past years and we kind of look surprised that we’re getting it so often then we just panic going forward and hang our heads when we turn it over.
It’s an odd one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back