Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Where was it ever established that the Dogs wanted two top 10 picks btw? Outside of posturing by random Bigfooty posters, the most I ever saw officially was that we demanded "two good firsts", which doesn't necessarily mean two top 10 picks.

Essendon Offered Pick 7 + Future Second.

Dogs Wanted Pick 8 + Essendon's Future First (which is 2 x Top 10 Picks) (Start video at 1:06)

Jun 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The issue is any pick in last years draft was going to be eaten by points for jamarra and Essendon failed to understand that and it seems the fans still fail to understand. A first last year was useless to us

I felt Caddy would have been a reasonable replacement for Lloyd given he retired unexpectedly, although once Hannan becomes fit I assume he'd be filling that role anyway. As it is, it's unclear whether Wallis has a place in the side long term, even though he won our goalkicking in 2020, so Caddy would probably no longer be a target we'd consider (when we might have previously). Otherwise someone like Nathan Broad might be of interest. Seems we're committed to running with Keath and Gardner as our two KPDs, but could really do with a competent 3rd tall that is good one-on-one (essentially replacing the role Dale Morris used to play). I feel Broad would fit our defence really well, and wouldn't be necessarily untouchable at Richmond.

If we're considering relatively value-less fringe players for steak knives, Ben Miller seems a type we might like - tall, quick and versatile. How's he going so far in the VFL this year?

Going ok apparently, was tried ruck/fwd last year and actually played ok.

Broad is an interesting one. I would do a first rounder and Broad. Would that get it done though?

Edit: We love Broady and he is super underrated. Rarely beaten and braver than tarzan

The issue is any pick in last years draft was going to be eaten by points for jamarra and Essendon failed to understand that and it seems the fans still fail to understand. A first last year was useless to us
Because you can't on trade that pick at all. I mean there was only a month for them to flip that into another pick or a future first.

What are you talking about? Everyone understands it.....Dogs could have easily on traded that pick.

Essendon Also worked with Collingwood in a 3 way trade to get Treloar + Future Picks to the dogs, which the dogs ultimately also declined.

if your going to comment give the whole context, not some s**t throw away line.

Just because a deal didn't get done its not really that big of a deal. Both clubs did pretty well out of the trade period. Essendon (like any other club) are more than entitled to target a contracted player and walk away when the price is too much.

Just like the dogs (like any other club) are entitled to refuse and hold a player to their contract.

Or you could have offered a 2021 first rounder :clapping:
Which we weren't prepared to do and you weren't prepared to accept either. You demanded pick 6 (which was pushed to pick 8) and our 2021 first.

So, how "useless" was this pick if you were demanding it as part of the deal?

Or you could have offered a 2021 first rounder :clapping:

It would be interesting if this was discussed though id suggest the dogs still would have wanted something else otherwise why would they ask for both of them?. If it was a Future First on its own than it might have got done for Essendon, but again i doubt the dogs would do that. But who knows.

Essendon's 2021 Pick is going to be Pick 1-4.........everyone knew that last year. This is a mega draft with numerous gun tall inside mids.

I'm pretty happy we declined in the end, i think both clubs did well out of it.

Essendon are in full re build. They are much better served drafting high picks than trading them out the door. We wont be in the mix again for 4-5 years. Of which Dunkley will be nearly 30.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dunkley played midfield from round 7 to round 23 in 2019. In that time he was awarded 72 coaches votes. That alone was good enough to finish top 10 in the league, despite having to share them with Bont(107) & Macrae (72). He was absolutely the 2nd best inside mid in the comp behind Cripps that year. 2020 he was injured. 2021 he has started very well, despite the midfield addition of Treloar who has the equal highest career average disposals of all time(players with more than 4k disposals). Tied with Macrae. He could easily average 32-35 touches a game in another midfield. He's been an elite inside mid since the back end of 2018.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It would be interesting if this was discussed though id suggest the dogs still would have wanted something else otherwise why would they ask for both of them?. If it was a Future First on its own than it might have got done for Essendon, but again i doubt the dogs would do that. But who knows.

Essendon's 2021 Pick is going to be Pick 1-4.........everyone knew that last year. This is a mega draft with numerous gun tall inside mids.

I'm pretty happy we declined in the end, i think both clubs did well out of it.

Essendon are in full re build. They are much better served drafting high picks than trading them out the door. We wont be in the mix again for 4-5 years. Of which Dunkley will be nearly 30.
I personally think 2021 first and a second would’ve been pretty close to getting the deal done , is that overs ? Probably but he was a contracted player . Problem is big boy dodoros ego got in the way and had to win the trade, the rest is history now

Last edited:

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
What are you talking about? Everyone understands it.....Dogs could have easily on traded that pick.

Essendon Also worked with Collingwood in a 3 way trade to get Treloar + Future Picks to the dogs, which the dogs ultimately also declined.

if your going to comment give the whole context, not some sh*t throw away line.

Just because a deal didn't get done its not really that big of a deal. Both clubs did pretty well out of the trade period. Essendon (like any other club) are more than entitled to target a contracted player and walk away when the price is too much.

Just like the dogs (like any other club) are entitled to refuse and hold a player to their contract.
Sam power had no interest in doing a three way trade at the end of the day Dunkley trade was never going to get done

I personally think 2021 first and second would’ve been pretty close to getting the deal done , is that overs ? Probably but he was a contracted player . Problem is big boy dodoros ego got in the way and had to win the trade, the rest is history now
No it wouldn't have. Do you even know the trade laws? You cannot trade a future first and second round pick without bringing in another first or second as part of the deal.

But yeah, it was Dodoro's ego, not you not knowing the rules...

Sam power had no interest in doing a three way trade at the end of the day Dunkley trade was never going to get done

Exactly?

Hence why the dogs probably asked a price they knew Essendon wouldn't pay.

I personally think 2021 first and second would’ve been pretty close to getting the deal done , is that overs ? Probably but he was a contracted player . Problem is big boy dodoros ego got in the way and had to win the trade, the rest is history now

you cant just trade a future first and future second.............you need to bring them back in....

you not knowing the rules is leading you to suggest some pretty dumb stuff........You have no basis for saying Dodoro has a big ego in this situation. You are just having pot shots and trying to be insulting because you don't know what else to say.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Essendon Offered Pick 7 + Future Second.

Dogs Wanted Pick 8 + Essendon's Future First (which is 2 x Top 10 Picks) (Start video at 1:06)

I watched the video, and didn't hear anything about the Dogs asking price outside of Lloyd saying "Sam you wanted two first rounders". That doesn't strictly define the asking price, and Sam declined to comment on the conversations

I watched the video, and didn't hear anything about the Dogs asking price outside of Lloyd saying "Sam you wanted two first rounders". That doesn't strictly define the asking price, and Sam declined to comment on the conversations

What are you talking about? Are you sure you watched it?

Dodoro literally said the dogs asked for Pick 8 + 2021 First.

its in the first 2 minutes of the video..............starting at roughly 1 minute in.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What are you talking about? Are you sure you watched it?

Dodoro literally said the dogs asked for Pick 8 + 2021 First.

its in the first 2 minutes of the video..............starting at roughly 1 minute in.
I watched the wrong video, my bad. Thanks

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Because you can't on trade that pick at all. I mean there was only a month for them to flip that into another pick or a future first.

Essendon had all that time to find a pick suited to the Dogs. Why would the Dogs (the seller) do any work to move on Dunkley when they didn’t want to lose him? That’s just ridiculous.

Yup and you had every right to walk because the price was high I wonder if you guy’s will have another crack at him at the end of this year

Maybe but doubt it, not if that's the price the dogs maintain, unless he wins the bloody Brownlow. I wouldn't have thought many clubs would be offering that kind of currency for him.

Draft is full of gun inside mids - which is why Essendon kept 2021 pick.

It would be smart of the dogs to just offer him a contract extension this year.

Essendon had all that time to find a pick suited to the Dogs. Why would the Dogs (the seller) do any work to move on Dunkley when they didn’t want to lose him? That’s just ridiculous.
They tried with Collingwood's future first. I don't blame the Dogs for asking for overs, but some of the reasoning done by their fans is pretty horrible.

For gods sake. Essendon DID do this. They worked with other clubs to get Future Picks to the dogs. They declined it.

There are way too many people in this thread who have no idea what they are talking about, who just make this conversation do loops.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
For gods sake. Essendon DID do this. They worked with other clubs to get Future Picks to the dogs. They declined it.

There are way too many people in this thread who have no idea what they are talking about, who just make this conversation do loops.

Good on Essendon. So if they couldn’t find a pick from another club what makes the original poster think the Dogs could?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Good on Essendon. So if they couldn’t find a pick from another club what makes the original poster think the Dogs could?
different collateral

The dogs were going to move pick 16 out of the draft given JUH
Say it was the std 2x 1st with player and 2nd coming back

Dons send F1, pick 10 to Dogs
They send Dunkley and F2 to us (F2 is needed to allow us to trade F1)

Dogs have 10 and 16 to work with
Cats are hunting for picks to pay for Jez
Pies are trying to get into this draft as part of a list refresh
Dees gave up a future 1st and 869 worth of points for 18 & 19 & future 2nd. reckon 10 and 16 would have gone close to securing that deal

Dogs could have turned Dunkley into quite a bit.

Back