Recommitted Liam Duggan [re-signed until the end of 2024]

OP by Sweet Jesus:

He turns 25 in December, having strung together 100+ games.

I expect WC would prefer to keep him, given he's been earmarked as a potential future captain and they don't have many established players born 1996 and later. But if there's a cap squeeze or he wants to return to Victoria, obviously it becomes a discussion point.

What's his trade value? Late first-rounder? Frankly I think he's lost value since cutting his mullet but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
He turns 25 in December, having strung together 100+ games.

I expect WC would prefer to keep him, given he's been earmarked as a potential future captain and they don't have many established players born 1996 and later. But if there's a cap squeeze or he wants to return to Victoria, obviously it becomes a discussion point.

What's his trade value? Late first-rounder? Frankly I think he's lost value since cutting his mullet but that's just me.
Think your spot on with your value
Even a early second
Between 15-25

He supposedly asked for a trade to Geelong last year and one of the parties said no. I was speaking to somebody that knows the family here in his home town off Bacchus Marsh.

Really? If true, I imagine it would have been WC saying no.

I take that with a grain of salt, to be honest.
Just what I was told. Not the type of bloke to bullshit either.

I wonder if it would have been part of any discussion regarding Jordan Clark. Pretty close to like-for-like.
Zac Butters and Brett Bewley are from here too.

He told me a little story about Robbie Gray coming down to a local junior game. Port were keen on him a long way out from that draft. Butters that is.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd be genuinely shocked if Duggan netted a first rounder. I like him, he's a good player, but he's not worth anywhere near that much.

First rounders are for young guys with big potential, or players who are pushing AA quality in their respective position. Duggan is neither of those

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd be genuinely shocked if Duggan netted a first rounder. I like him, he's a good player, but he's not worth anywhere near that much.

First rounders are for young guys with big potential, or players who are pushing AA quality in their respective position. Duggan is neither of those
I'd say a late first-rounder is the going rate for a guy's who 24/25 and a proven best 22 player with 100+ games.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd say a late first-rounder is the going rate for a guy's who 24/25 and a proven best 22 player with 100+ games.
Toby McLean is probably a good comparison. He's played 91 games (close to the 100 mark), is best 22 and like Duggan is a flag winning player. I wouldn't place his value at a late 1st. Both would be worth a pick in the mid 20s optimistically

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Toby McLean is probably a good comparison. He's played 91 games (close to the 100 mark), is best 22 and like Duggan is a flag winning player. I wouldn't place his value at a late 1st. Both would be worth a pick in the mid 20s optimistically
How many games has Toby McLean played this season?

Was he "clear best 22" in 2020?

Being a "flag-winning player" doesn't make any case either way about a player's trade value.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How many games has Toby McLean played this season?

Was he "clear best 22" in 2020?
He was dropped for 2 games in the first half of the season despite not being among our worst players (Bevo has a habit of doing this to help players focus on aspects of their game. Did it with Bailey Williams in recent years and he's now among our best players). Returned in great form to finish out the season. Easily best 22. He's currently injured, which is the only reason he's not in. Pre-injury, still wasn't worth close to a 1st.

James Aish is a similar aged 100 gamer best 22 player. Is he worth a 1st?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
He was dropped for 2 games in the first half of the season despite not being among our worst players (Bevo has a habit of doing this to help players focus on aspects of their game. Did it with Bailey Williams in recent years and he's now among our best players). Returned in great form to finish out the season. Easily best 22. He's currently injured, which is the only reason he's not in. Pre-injury, still wasn't worth close to a 1st.
Right, so McLean is also coming off an ACL. You don't reckon that diminishes his trade value?

That aside, if he's easily best 22 how come he's omitted from so many of these posts? Even the ones before he got injured.

You wouldn't find a single post in an equivalent thread on the WC board omitting Duggan.

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Right, so McLean is also coming off an ACL. You don't reckon that diminishes his trade value?

That aside, if he's easily best 22 how come he's omitted from so many of these posts? Even the ones before he got injured.

You wouldn't find a single post in an equivalent thread on the WC board omitting Duggan.
Because most of the posts there were made at a time our best 22 was unclear. Our midfield depth meant that while McLean was in our top 20 players, it was tough to identify his role going forward. By the middle of the season, he was very clearly in our best side as Bevo had found a role for him.

If McLean is not your preferred comparison, then what about James Aish? Best 22 at the Pies, Best 22 at Freo. 100 gamer.

The trade was Aish + future 3rd + Pick 69 <> future 2nd + future 4th.

So essentially, Aish was traded to upgrade a future 3rd to a future 2nd. What makes Duggan suddenly worth a 1st?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Because most of the posts there were made at a time our best 22 was unclear. Our midfield depth meant that while McLean was in our top 20 players, it was tough to identify his role going forward. By the middle of the season, he was very clearly in our best side as Bevo had found a role for him.
So he's gone from not clearly best 22 at the start of 2020 to now clearly best 22 despite coming off an ACL? And of course that injury has no bearing on his trade value? Fascinating.

If McLean is not your preferred comparison, then what about James Aish? Best 22 at the Pies, Best 22 at Freo. 100 gamer.

The trade was Aish + future 3rd + Pick 69 <> future 2nd + future 4th.

So essentially, Aish was traded to upgrade a future 3rd to a future 2nd. What makes Duggan suddenly worth a 1st?
James Aish. Give me a spell.

If you're going to try this hard, at least come up with something plausible.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So he's gone from not clearly best 22 at the start of 2020 to now clearly best 22 despite coming off an ACL? And of course that injury has no bearing on his trade value? Fascinating.

James Aish. Give me a spell.

If you're going to try this hard, at least come up with something plausible.
You do realise he played footy in 2020, yes? You're skipping time to suit your narrative.

Your justification for Duggan being worth a 1st is that he's a best 22 player who has played 100 games. That happens to match the description of James Aish. What makes Duggan so much better? The only reason I'm seeing here is he's an Eagles player, and you lot have a habit of drastically over rating your own players

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
You do realise he played footy in 2020, yes? You're skipping time to suit your narrative.
My narrative! Yeah wow, great stuff from you.

And he's now coming off an ACL.

Your justification for Duggan being worth a 1st is that he's a best 22 player who has played 100 games. That happens to match the description of James Aish. What makes Duggan so much better? The only reason I'm seeing here is he's an Eagles player, and you lot have a habit of drastically over rating your own players
James Aish has been a bit-part fringe player at successive clubs. This is such an obvious reach.

If you haven't got anything more credible, we can move on.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My narrative! Yeah wow, great stuff from you.

And he's now coming off an ACL.

James Aish has been a bit-part fringe player at successive clubs. This is such an obvious reach.

If you haven't got anything more credible, we can move on.
Aish perfectly meets the justification for Duggan being worth a 1st. You've offered no valid reasons for valuing him so high, outside of asking pointless open ended questions. Do you have any substance to your argument, or do you just think he's worth more because he plays for the Eagles?

Back