Preview Round 3: Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood Magpies, 1st April at Marvel Stadium, 5:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood bringing in Chris Mayne gives me some hope.

Was unlikely but glad they didn't rush Greenwood back in to tag Neale (if he plays). Picking they'll still tag him to some extent, but not sure who? On a side note I caught the end of them talking on SEN this arvo about us lodging a complaint (?) to the AFL about how Neale was treated against Geelong?

He brings absolutely nothing to the team, this elite kicking line is flat out rubbish.
I said he kicked 9 out of 10 before the first game and I was being very generous. Aside from a few sideways kicks or handballs that give us a bit of tempo control him keeping Keidean Coleman out of the team is actually bordering on bringing the game into disrepute.

Edit: ;), but seriously

Collingwood bringing in Chris Mayne gives me some hope.

Was unlikely but glad they didn't rush Greenwood back in to tag Neale (if he plays). Picking they'll still tag him to some extent, but not sure who? On a side note I caught the end of them talking on SEN this arvo about us lodging a complaint (?) to the AFL about how Neale was treated against Geelong?
Fagan mentioned he was consistently getting blocked and held back over 5m away from the ball which is illegal.

Birchall wasn't that bad last week.

I hope Lachie is able to play to his full capacity because we'll need him to.

With Berry ,Gardiner and McInerny not getting up we're sort of limited for choice and though it's not quite the side I would've picked I can see the rationale. Fullarton and Ballenden in the one team worries me but maybe we're going to do them for height in the forward line and trust Cameron and Ah Chee , McCarthy and Bailey or whoever plays there to pick up the crumbs. We didn't brink Madden down so the only pacey alternative in the backline is Coleman and I just don't think he's up to it at present.

I think we'll be competitive especially if guys like Ballenden, Robertson and Adams can contribute more than we're entitled to expect at this stage.

Birchall obviously has something against Fagan. Never has a more out of shape, a more slow player, who contributes so little to a team, somehow manages to escape any kind of scrutinity.

Unfortunately fagan has little option but to play has beens. The list management has been horrible since our great off season getting Neale

Absolutely fluffed it

A part of me was fearful we wouldn't have enough melts on here tonight without Dylan.

All good. More than enough ranty goodness :D

I do wish he was here to bang on about letting Stef go one last time given the circumstances.
I'll do it for you.

Why on earth did we let Stef go ? What a boo boo.

There's no doubt that on paper our backline is slow so what they're going to have to be is good. Luckily for us Elliot is out.

It'd be nice if the real Harris Andrews turns up.

Are we too tall or are they too short?

Adams can play small. Same as dizzy.

If Adams can play small then we are good I think. Can’t remember him doing it but can’t really remember him playing either tbh.

Are we too tall or are they too short is a good one, you are up there with Plato.

I'll do it for you.

There's no doubt that on paper our backline is slow so what they're going to have to be is good. Luckily for us Elliot is out.

Are we too slow or are they too fast?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Adams can play small then we are good I think. Can’t remember him doing it but can’t really remember him playing either tbh.

Are we too tall or are they too short is a good one, you are up there with Plato.

Well he was on Burgoyne in his last game

I'll do it for you.

A. I doubt anyone wanted him gone, understand why it happened though.
B. A lot of other factors will help. Mids & forwards working harder defending to reduce effectiveness of their entries. Yes, Elliot being out is pretty substantial for them.
C. I agree (B will probably help there too)

Well he was on Burgoyne in his last game

Was that the match we lost by 5 goals? Or was it the one where the hawks won by 5 goals?

I’d managed to suppress that memory until just now.

If we get done or heaven forbid get done horribly the melts are going to be worth reading.

We may as well just rove to Grundy . In fact get Fullarton to rove to Grundy

You'd have to think the bookies will have them short odds to win the M/F battle.

But I think our forwards will prove a big handful provided we get it in there often enough.

Don't think we are too tall. Ballenden and Fullarton to share ruck duties, Daniher and Hipwood up front. Andrews and Payne as the talls with Lester as a 3rd tall. Adams is relatively mobile, wouldn't be surprised if he has been brought in as an ideal match up to play on De Goey or we could potentially put him on Mihocek with Payne on Cox, Lester on De Goey and allow Andrews to play as a floating interceptor which maximises his ability.

Very excited to see Deven Robertson get a game! Was good for them to get a taste no doubt but was somewhat surprised guys like Sharp and Prior got in ahead of him. I suspect Dev will be here to stay in the senior's for a while now. Wouldn't be surprised if the coaches made him work extra hard to earn it so he is super hungry now he get's a chance after his taste in Round 1 last season. Also you can't take any stock whatsoever in where the players are named on the team sheet generally, however, with Ah Chee named on the HFF I'd love to see him play there. I think he could fill that Rayner role nicely.

Still opportunities for guys like Ely Smith, Noah Answerth, Nakia Cockatoo, Keidean Coleman and Tom Joyce to force out guys like Birchall and Robinson in the coming weeks and Berry, McInerney, Gardiner and McStay will be back soon. So far from our best line up but still enough of our best players on the park with some quality youth to see us win tomorrow night.

Possible Adams may play forward and play McStay role as well. McStay out has hurt us structurally and Adams could help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we get done or heaven forbid get done horribly the melts are going to be worth reading.

You'd have to think the bookies will have them short odds to win the M/F battle.

But I think our forwards will prove a big handful provided we get it in there often enough.
Our mids definitely need to lift.

This pretty much. Did anyone here think Big O was going to win many hitouts anyway? Big O being out isn't concerning me too much, our guys can rove to Grundy pretty well.

I want to see our twin talls under the roof of Marvel. Collingwood have a good backline & Moore is a great intercept marker, but two 200cm mobile forwards are going to be a handful. I have a little feeling in my bones that Daniher will kick a bag.

Hard to know if players play where named.
Ah Chee named forward last week also.
I think the interesting selection is Bailey at half back
It is possible that he will play that position all game. He is what we are lacking in the backline at present.

Interchanges: Deven being midfield relief, Fullarton ruck/forward relief, Starcevich defense.
That leaves Adams he could actually play forward relief.

The Pies have a good defense but not such a great forward line
Their defenders: Moore 203cm, Roughhead 200cm, Madgen 192cm, Howe 190cm, Crisp 190cm (playing more mid time), Maynard 189cm, Quaynor 180cm and Noble 180cm.

I just don't get why Smith wasn't flown over. From all pre-seson reports he was the front runner. Hadn't heard anything from Robertson. Why would Prior get a debut over Smith for example. I can understand Sharp as he provides a point of difference. He must not be doing something as l can't think of anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back