Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

It might just be about Phillips. The recruitment team may have decided he is a generational mid. There is something about him.

Brown isn't playing right now. Dunno when he'll be back, the Dees board reckons VFL r1. ie 17/4. That means he misses six rounds of footy at least. His knee condition is degenerative apparently. So this was always gonna happen at some point, hopefully not yet but it isn't looking good. He's played one game since late July last year and that was for about 10 minutes.

Maybe the recruitment team don't rate Logan McDonald. Who knows? Mason Wood kicked three goals in his first game iirc. I think Aaron Black did too, then next season (played one or two games that year) he kicked 18 goals in 8 games. "Who were they?" you ask...

Exactly.

(Tho you should know who Black is.)

I'm sure all of us on BF could do a better job anyway. Professional recruiters bah ... even if they are aware of stuff we aren't aware of.

I know who both of them are, lol, and I know how their career trajectories panned out. Mason Wood looked very promising (he was a Falcon so we were even interested in him a couple of times during trade period), but constant injuries/form issues meant he never lived up to expectation - now he's at the Saints and probably won't make it there either.

Aaron Black started off well, but again, had his own issues then wound up at the Cats and now plays in the VFL (fair chance he'd get put back on our list if we had an LTI and we wanted a readymade defender from the mid season draft).

Problem is though, they're not like for like, in terms of what they can offer/what their ceiling is and what they produced in their underage/draft years.

Wood was taken at Pick 41 and Black at Pick 25, so neither are even close to the potential of a Top 2 draft pick rated by all and sundry throughout the recruiting landscape as a 'generational key forward.'

You've made your point though, so I'll leave it there. Was just explaining why I, some of your own supporters, and many others, find it a questionable recruiting decision given the makeup of your team. I'm sure we'll all have a better idea in a couple of years, of exactly how this whole decision affects/doesn't affect the direction of the club.

Peace.

Given myself a few days to think about it. I’ve decided to change the thread to “Is North passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Dogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin”. I think Phillips has the chance to be a future captain, AA and best and fairest winner just like Griffin was. But I think long term passing on McDonald could be the difference between being a good side and a Premiership side. Players like McDonald are very rare while inside mids like Phillips are a lot easier to find.
North also already have a good list of midfielders. They are desperate for a #1 KPF.
Jack Riewoldt has won more flags than Buddy. The Swans haven't won one since they got him. He effectively ended their GF winning streak at one.

Calling out spelling errors on a footy forum. Almost as sad as posting 300+ comments about Josh Kelly apparently wanting to play footy for north.
You started this thread because deep down you know Phillips is going to be significantly better than Bontempelli and the knowledge is eating away inside you isn't it.

You started this thread because deep down you know Phillips is going to be significantly better than Bontempelli and the knowledge is eating away inside you isn't it.
Lol I just read your sig. how obsessed with the Bont are you? Sounds like he keeps you up at night.

I know who both of them are, lol, and I know how their career trajectories panned out. Mason Wood looked very promising (he was a Falcon so we were even interested in him a couple of times during trade period), but constant injuries/form issues meant he never lived up to expectation - now he's at the Saints and probably won't make it there either.

Aaron Black started off well, but again, had his own issues then wound up at the Cats and now plays in the VFL (fair chance he'd get put back on our list if we had an LTI and we wanted a readymade defender from the mid season draft).

Problem is though, they're not like for like, in terms of what they can offer/what their ceiling is and what they produced in their underage/draft years.

Wood was taken at Pick 41 and Black at Pick 25, so neither are even close to the potential of a Top 2 draft pick rated by all and sundry throughout the recruiting landscape as a 'generational key forward.'

You've made your point though, so I'll leave it there. Was just explaining why I, some of your own supporters, and many others, find it a questionable recruiting decision given the makeup of your team. I'm sure we'll all have a better idea in a couple of years, of exactly how this whole decision affects/doesn't affect the direction of the club.

Peace.
IIRC there was a game late last year where McDonald ended up on DGB and DGB kept him very quiet. I know one game like that isn't going to influence a recruiting decision but maybe that was seen as typical of an established trend in the recruitment team's eyes.

Lol I just read your sig. how obsessed with the Bont are you? Sounds like he keeps you up at night.
Every year at this time I'm glad I'm too lazy to change it.

Remember how you guys got a Premiership winning KPF? Its one of the reasons this thread is funny.

IIRC there was a game late last year where McDonald ended up on DGB and DGB kept him very quiet. I know one game like that isn't going to influence a recruiting decision but maybe that was seen as typical of an established trend in the recruitment team's eyes.

The Hawks will play Sydney in round 13. Probably the exact time DGB may play his first game. Will the OP start a thread that week if you know...history repeats.

but from what I've heard he wasn't treated very professionally.
By Fremantle??
Again he was 16 year old priority selection for teams that lost players to Fremantle.. he was ineligible for us to draft him no matter what ,so how and why would we have treated him unprofessionally when we had nothing to do with him??:$

By Fremantle??
Again he was 16 year old priority selection for teams that lost players to Fremantle.. he was ineligible for us to draft him no matter what ,so how and why would we have treated him unprofessionally when we had nothing to do with him??:$

Ok ok so I got that one wrong then.

Peace.

Did you know Logan McDonald was actually a nobody in 2019? All the hype around him was based on his WAFL season during COVID.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you know Logan McDonald was actually a nobody in 2019? All the hype around him was based on his WAFL season during COVID.

A lot of players coming into their draft year are relative 'nobodies', doesn't mean they can't improve, lol. Also was probably more well known in WA comps, and only came on the radar of the rest of the country when he started dominating games and catching attention.

Dm anyway, I said my piece to the poster, and they responded with theirs - now we've left it there. Not really anything else to discuss. Appreciate the extra info though

Hard to say at this early stage. I heard Buddy's draft interview didn't go very well with Richmond.

I find it ironic that a Footscray supporter started this thread being that the Doggies also passed on Buddy. Obviously Griffin turned out to be a much better player than Tambling.

You don't think Melbourne passing twice on Dustin Martin isn't up there with the biggest blunder of all?
Dustin Martin would be in jail right now if he went to Melbourne. Hardwick did a good job looking after him.

Phillips is so tiny..he better have great skills and speed otherwise he'll be a bust.

It is game 1. Give him a break he’ll be quality. Whether I’d have taken him over the KPF not sure but confident Phillips is quality

This could get ugly. Phillips has it hard and Logan is getting first class delivery. Unfortunately that won’t be factored in if he’s broken by such a train wreck of a team.

Today was one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen and that includes a few 140-150 point losses. North were morbidly bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back